Solar questions

Mattnan

• Moderators

We run our ac once or twice a year, in the driveway,  to make sure it still works.

In 13 seasons, we've rarely used it camping.  We follow the cool air. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Your Cummins is rated at 52 db, but that is at idle or low load. Any idea how loud it is under a moderate load? My Yamaha 2400 is a stellar unit, but it is 75 pounds dry, no oil or gas, so it is a pretty massive thing to move around. I park it in the back of the truck and rarely move it. I just run it in place. When I do move it, it goes onto this:

E96D1E57-07F0-4A6E-B78C-E0663C2B3555.thumb.jpeg.fb64e353093e6bd0b417fb44dd25177a.jpeg

...... https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/lifts-cranes-stands/hydraulic-lifts-carts/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html....... and I trundle it to its parking spot in the garage. I can’t imagine lifting yours into a truck bed....  Also, Cummins is a long honored name in big diesel engines, I am rather surprised that they let Onan use the name, but it appears Cummins owns Onan. As long as it performs adequately and the customer service is responsive, yours should be fine if you can accept the massive weight penalty. I think though, that you will be happier with a different choice for long term boondocking.

As far as following the cool air goes, we try to, but every now and then you get stuck in a wide open location, no cover, and blistering heat; the AC is a life saver. When it is like that, you have got to run that generator, or go find a motel with a trailer parking lot. I was in northern CA one summer, passing through and the daytime temps were over 110 degrees, no way would I have camped in that. That is why God made high mountains and forests and the USFS made the campgrounds.  😀

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

But, 120 pounds! Omg

We have a simlar 4000w inverter generator.  125# and, yes, it's noisy - not something we want to take on the road, but it would work.  We use it around our ranch and for brief power outages.  However, you might be using it for the time being.  We've been hunting for a smaller portable generator, specifically a Yamaha 2200i, for several months and they are out of stock.  I contacted Yamaha and they said, with Covid, hurricanes, and wildfires, they can't keep them in stock; they anticipate availability in December.

The most frustrating aspect of the pandemic for us, aside from the economic backlash, is the affect it's had on outdoor recreation (a big part of our retirement enjoyment).  Normal expectations are undependable; I'd venture to say, RV traffic has quadrupled in our state of Oregon - mostly people escaping California, but we've notice travelers from states you rarely see in our location.  And the usual "quiet period" we see after Labor Day just isn't happening.  Camping without reservations is nearly impossible and a lot of attractions are shut down or limited.

My hope is that at lot of those who have become "Covid Campers" will tire of being on the road and the situation will improve.  There will certainly be a lot of used RVs on the market!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Thanks @Mattnan  for originally posting here, hope I didn't hijack this topic too much 😜

So it seems now that my main choice is still between the Solar Pro Package (AGM batteries) and the Litium Pro Package (Lithium Batteries). I think they both would obviously work for me, but there is a possibility that we would sell our trailer in 3-5 years.

If that were the case, it seems the pros of the Lithium package would outweigh the AGM Package. Longer lasting batteries, higher re-sale value, more efficient.

As always, thanks for the help everyone.

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package