ARE Z camper/topper

Patriot

After a 10 week wait we took delivery and install of our ARE Z topper yesterday. We recently upgraded to a larger more comfortable, much more powerful TV and like stowing our bicycles, Gen, and other camping gear high and dry out of sight and out of mind. I had upgraded rubber bulb seals installed vs the cheap foam tape that flattens out usually within a few months. The foam tape when it flattens out can result in a potential topper bottom edge bed rail paint rub, a no go. Another tip, I had the installers secure the tape to the bottom rails of the topper NOT the bed rails to avoid any cleaning of adhesive on the bed rails should I decide to remove the topper temporarily. 
This is our third ARE topper over the years and I can report that the fit and finish and Iconic Silver paint match is spot on excellent.
Totally worth the wait. Just a bit of feedback for anyone considering an ARE camper topper. 

CABD3305-C003-41EF-ADCC-64C4EF58CB16.jpeg

D378FF59-F3F2-4219-B712-15CB3AAE6D1E.jpeg

1652F4C9-7EDF-4A75-B10E-D6C04268A556.jpeg

2D63837C-C677-457A-B71B-FECB871F346B.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
Added content
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Looks really nice!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Looks very nice. Is yours rated for a roof rack?

How are you liking the Tremor suspension? Have you taken it on gnarly roads yet? How does it ride, with the bed full and empty? Maybe start a new thread about this.....

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks! 
It’s my understanding that a Yakima roof rack can be installed. I am not sure about the weight limit, I did not inquire as I really have no use for a roof rack. If we can’t carry our gear inside the cab and under our topper out of the weather - we likely have too much stuff. We have the high capacity tow 535 pkg and zero issues with trailer sway when traveling on the interstate or windy conditions.

As for the Tremor suspension/ride? We just rolled over 2k on the ODO and we are very pleased with overall super quiet interior & comfort level when empty as well as towing. Much more comfortable and needless to say powerful than our former half ton TV. The Ollie towing mileage was impressive @ 17.9 - 18 mpgs on our last week long trip. This was only the computer feedback. At some point I will do the math and compare. 
The topper added approx 200# of weight to the bed which is nothing. I read and heard the the F250 & F350 Tremor supposedly have the same identical suspension. I have yet to confirm this as fact. However with the 535 pkg listed below it may be accurate.

3DF369B4-FC4B-4E2D-AC2A-A5EAA2FB77CD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Looks good.  Are those "bars" on the side windows of the topper used for decoration, support or can you open them for some inside air?

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

23 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Looks good.  Are those "bars" on the side windows of the topper used for decoration, support or can you open them for some inside air?

Bill

Bill,

Geat question. The black aluminum divider you see actually separates the front topper glass from with an internally hidden hinged rear window glass which is screened for ventilation. I really like this design as it allows for great airflow/circulation in the topper while stationary or rolling down the super slab.

Inside pic shows the system that allows for turning the opening and closing knob for the screened window. The window can be adjusted to what ever opening with you choose and they stay that way while traveling if you wish. No sloppiness in the hinge or handle closing mechanism.

I also really like the hidden hinge system on the rear access window over the tail gate. Naturally  personal taste, but it aesthetically looks cleaner on the overall fit and finish.

171BFF60-EFE4-4EA7-A82D-3842296EFD5E.jpeg

AE7A7B83-88B4-4712-ADDE-71508BF7B0E6.jpeg

5DC05B8D-67AF-4683-A84F-E703666D3F5A.jpeg

B52C267C-6D3B-44B3-B3EC-4ED0E1B06EF4.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
Pic

IMG_2879.jpeg

I like camper toppers, but be aware that dust and dirt can get in and many leak water, plus the biggest reason for not having a camper is it blocks your vision to the rear and I need all the help here I can get. As far as security they do keep the honest people out, but pretty easily broken into by a thief. Biggest gripe I have is, I'm a tall person and crawling up in the back with a camper is not that much fun to get items out, or put in. I just don't carry items that have that much value and that a thief would want to steal in the bed of the truck.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Cool design, do you mind sharing the purchase price?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

40 minutes ago, Trainman said:

I like camper toppers, but be aware that dust and dirt can get in and many leak water, plus the biggest reason for not having a camper is it blocks your vision to the rear and I need all the help here I can get. As far as security they do keep the honest people out, but pretty easily broken into by a thief. Biggest gripe I have is, I'm a tall person and crawling up in the back with a camper is not that much fun to get items out, or put in. I just don't carry items that have that much value and that a thief would want to steal in the bed of the truck.

trainman

They are surely not for everyone especially the expense. But as I mentioned dry gear is really important to us. That said the install is extremely important. I had an excellent installer and researched and used the best topper bulb seals made. As for dust and water...a proper install with rubber bulb seals I have never had an issue. 
I am tall as well and really don’t have any issues with packing or unloading. Would I label it as fun?  haha...Nah, but ya gotta be limber for sure. 😊 As for security, it’s only as secure as a unoccupied home, one broken window naturally the bad guy is in. The camp gear we carry is not irreplaceable, but our Yeti Tundra, our generator, Clam, camp chairs and a few other items are covered, dry and out of view. 👍🏻

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

32 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Cool design, do you mind sharing the purchase price?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks!

Here is a build link. It really depends options you choose and shipping costs to your dealer. The plant is located in Ohio. 
I received a 15% discount as I know the owner well and have done plenty of business with him in the past. 

here-
https://www.4are.com/build/

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

Looks great ‘Patriot’... Love the setup...And I have to say begrudgingly (Toyota Tundra owner) the Ford looks awesome.... I’ve also been very happy with my ARE cap too.. the fit and finish is the best, and no leaks... i did also add a tailgate seal to keep out the dust... Added roof racks cause the dogs are pretty spoiled and like their space...D997DA6A-3249-4DBD-8853-AD360043B69D.thumb.jpeg.1018b80ee08600ba0e36642fd92a1890.jpeg

• Like 2

RE roof rack.... even if you don’t plan on installing one, a “rack ready” canopy gives you a much stronger roof structure, important if you often venture off paved roads, the tracks allow you to quickly install crossbars in case you want to carry a boat or load of 2x12s, and it marginally adds to the resale value. It is super hard to add satisfactory crossbars to the truck’s roof, and I really hate the look of an external ladder rack, the kind that goes around a canopy. I don’t see myself buying a pickup anytime soon, but the rack option would be one of the first things I would look for.

Does ARE’s warranty cover stress cracks from frame twisting stuff like bouncing around over potholes and water bars? Lots of fiberglass canopies self destruct and they aren’t covered for “abuse”. Thanks,

EDIT: found this.
Stress cracks in the fiberglass body that begin from a window, boot, door opening or from the base rail are considered structural or material flaws and are covered under warranty for as long as the A.R.E. truck cap is owned by the original purchaser. The exception to this warranty is when it is determined by A.R.E. or its authorized dealer that such stress crack(s) were caused from misuse, abuse, collision or competitive racing. If a stress crack occurs it should be repaired without delay to prevent future failures due to neglect.

So, it looks like you are good for doing forest roads, just don’t post YouTube videos of you jumping ditches in your Tremor.... 😀

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, John E Davies said:

RE roof rack.... even if you don’t plan on installing one, a “rack ready” canopy gives you a much stronger roof structure, important if you often venture off paved roads, the tracks allow you to quickly install crossbars in case you want to carry a boat or load of 2x12s, and it marginally adds to the resale value. It is super hard to add satisfactory crossbars to the truck’s roof, and I really hate the look of an external ladder rack, the kind that goes around a canopy. I don’t see myself buying a pickup anytime soon, but the rack option would be one of the first things I would look for.

Does ARE’s warranty cover stress cracks from frame twisting stuff like bouncing around over potholes and water bars? Lots of fiberglass canopies self destruct and they aren’t covered for “abuse”. Thanks,

EDIT: found this.
Stress cracks in the fiberglass body that begin from a window, boot, door opening or from the base rail are considered structural or material flaws and are covered under warranty for as long as the A.R.E. truck cap is owned by the original purchaser. The exception to this warranty is when it is determined by A.R.E. or its authorized dealer that such stress crack(s) were caused from misuse, abuse, collision or competitive racing. If a stress crack occurs it should be repaired without delay to prevent future failures due to neglect.

So, it looks like you are good for doing forest roads, just don’t post YouTube videos of you jumping ditches in your Tremor.... 😀

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for the research, I have read this a few times, and  never had any problem with an ARE topper after owning a few over the years. Very solid well built toppers. An excellent install is key. Roof rack for some works, I am just not a fan for a number of reasons, mostly personal taste rules the day.

I suppose a roof rack maybe/IS required on smaller imported LC SUV TVs pulling an Ollie with extremely limited cargo/trunk capacity. Maybe ARE will make a topper for SUV roofs? 😉😂

Edited by Patriot
Update

IMG_2879.jpeg

21 hours ago, Airedales said:

Looks great ‘Patriot’... Love the setup...And I have to say begrudgingly (Toyota Tundra owner) the Ford looks awesome.... I’ve also been very happy with my ARE cap too.. the fit and finish is the best, and no leaks... i did also add a tailgate seal to keep out the dust... Added roof racks cause the dogs are pretty spoiled and like their space...D997DA6A-3249-4DBD-8853-AD360043B69D.thumb.jpeg.1018b80ee08600ba0e36642fd92a1890.jpeg

Your rig looks great! I will always be partial to Tundras. I have owned a few over the years and they have been stellar. Your topper looks great, I am pretty much brand loyal to ARE, never an issue, it’s all about the install. Details matter.
Moving from the Tundra to the Tremor has been interesting and a lot of fun. So far we are very happy overall, zero complaints. 

Thank you for the kind words. 

- Patriot

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

21 hours ago, Airedales said:

Hey Patriot... What size are those tires?... did they come with the Tremor package?... 

Airedales -

They are 285/75R18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and they did come stock with the Tremor pkg and includes a full size Duratrac spare. 👍🏻I did a bit of research on tirerack.com and they have overall pretty decent ratings. Likely due to a more aggressive design tread - no mileage warranty. With just over 2k on them so far I like the way they handle and ride, no complaints. With additional miles they may or may not produce a little road noise, we’ll see. The Tremor cabin is really quiet so little too early to tell.
To my surprise they do NOT hold a lot of gravel in the tread due to tire larger lug width and design. The down side is when a larger stone does get tread seated and tossed it can potentially  be a windshield cracker for a vehicle following. I periodically check my tires/tread and unseat any stones when driving on gravel roads.
I also purchased the Discount Tire insurance coverage for these tires ($187) since they run approx $320 per tire. Essentially coverage includes a balance and rotation anytime I need it and a non prorated replacement with a brand new tire if DCT cannot repair the tire. For the life of the tires, not a bad deal. I like DCT as they hand torque all lugs when completing the B&R. Hope this helps!
-Patriot 

3B7D1869-2795-458C-BFFC-7308F2191CC8.png

IMG_2879.jpeg

Wow... Ford did a nice job with that setup...I really like the look of that truck... For me thats the right size tire for the wheel well not to big not too sm ... appreciate a follow up if any issues arise with the tires...I think thats the size I’ll go with when i replace the dealer installed ones on mine.. Yeah they’re not cheap!...  a little extra ins. Probably not a bad idea ... Gotta try and stop the money suck from my trailer and truck!...🤣hahaha.. stay safe ... see ya on the road after the winter hibernation... Thanks ‘Patriot’

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airedales said:

Wow... Ford did a nice job with that setup...I really like the look of that truck... For me thats the right size tire for the wheel well not to big not too sm ... appreciate a follow up if any issues arise with the tires...I think thats the size I’ll go with when i replace the dealer installed ones on mine.. Yeah they’re not cheap!...  a little extra ins. Probably not a bad idea ... Gotta try and stop the money suck from my trailer and truck!...🤣hahaha.. stay safe ... see ya on the road after the winter hibernation... Thanks ‘Patriot’

Your welcome, send me a PM if I can help with ant other questions. 
Be Safe!

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 months later...

started new topic, "Topper vs. Soft Tonneau Cover Vs. Hard sectional Cover"

Was not trying to hijack this one.

Bryan,

Edited by SNY SD UP
  • Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

We travel with a tiny dog, and no bikes.

Just happy to see that you're flexible, for a little dog. 

Our dog is an international traveler. And, a total princess 👸 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.