Elite 1 - Any Clues as to Storage Capacity?

Moonlight Mile

Hi all.

There is a post here as to all the spaces and available storage on the Elite II, but is it not different for an Elite 1? (I.e., less space to store your clothing, kitchen stuff, whatever, inside.)

If so, and any Elite 1 owners (late models? I am getting a 2021 in Jan) know any dimensions and such, I’m all ears. I have NO idea how much “stuff” I can fit into Elite 1. And I have to downsize (further than I already have) because I’mma go FT. 

I have watched the Ollie 1 walk-through video and it’s just hard to tell really how much the closet will hold, how much space for shoes, kitchen stuff, everything.

If anyone can give me an idea — I know it’s hard to say “Four jackets, 3 pairs of jeans,” etc. — but any idea at all would really help.

Thanks! 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

5 hours ago, SherMica said:

Hi all.

There is a post here as to all the spaces and available storage on the Elite II, but is it not different for an Elite 1? (I.e., less space to store your clothing, kitchen stuff, whatever, inside.)

If so, and any Elite 1 owners (late models? I am getting a 2021 in Jan) know any dimensions and such, I’m all ears. I have NO idea how much “stuff” I can fit into Elite 1. And I have to downsize (further than I already have) because I’mma go FT. 

I have watched the Ollie 1 walk-through video and it’s just hard to tell really how much the closet will hold, how much space for shoes, kitchen stuff, everything.

If anyone can give me an idea — I know it’s hard to say “Four jackets, 3 pairs of jeans,” etc. — but any idea at all would really help.

Thanks! 

I find I hang very few clothing items; I roll and store them in nylon packing organizers.  Rolling creates fewer wrinkles and I think is more compact.  It's also easy to find things as opposed to having them folded and stacked.

Other Elite problem areas for me:

1. The Elite does not have the pantry; if you aren't dependent on an oven, you could opt to delete the microwave and have a pantry above the fridge.; perhaps carry a small toaster oven in the pickup

2. The Elite galley counter has no space between the sink and the cooktop and thus, fewer drawers under the counter.

3. Overhead cupboard space is proportionately smaller in the Elite; there is no overhead cabinet in the bathroom

4.  The Elite does not have an exterior access basement.

For full-time, in an Elite, you will certainly need a well designed and organized tow vehicle storage solution.  Definitely downsizing, unless you're moving up from tent camping.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice from other Elite forum members.

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

14 hours ago, SherMica said:

Hi all.

. I have NO idea how much “stuff” I can fit into Elite 1. And I have to downsize (further than I already have) because I’mma go FT. 

Two things - change the question, invert -  from how much fits,  to what do I really need. Minimalism comes to mind.

And as Susan has mentioned - Your TV and set-up should encompass storage solutions that fit this situation. For me it's a 3/4 ton diesel truck with a Leer top,  rear trailer rack, and if needed, roof rack on the truck/bed top. 

And I'll add - I would eliminate the Micro - its pantry now, add the front basket, and explore rear trailer rack solutions.

Get started, it will work out as you gain time and experience in the set-up. 

Enjoy the experience 

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

8 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

I find I hang very few clothing items; I roll and store them in nylon packing organizers.  Rolling creates fewer wrinkles and I think is more compact.  It's also easy to find things as opposed to having them folded and stacked.

Other Elite problem areas for me:

1. The Elite does not have the pantry; if you aren't dependent on an oven, you could opt to delete the microwave and have a pantry above the fridge.; perhaps carry a small toaster oven in the pickup

2. The Elite galley counter has no space between the sink and the cooktop and thus, fewer drawers under the counter.

3. Overhead cupboard space is proportionately smaller in the Elite; there is no overhead cabinet in the bathroom

4.  The Elite does not have an exterior access basement.

For full-time, in an Elite, you will certainly need a well designed and organized tow vehicle storage solution.  Definitely downsizing, unless you're moving up from tent camping.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice from other Elite forum members.

Thanks Susan!

Well I'm in luck, as it turns out, with no pantry, as I really don't cook. I am DEF getting the microwave because "that" is "cooking" to me. Then again, I always read the instructions and if it has a lotta "cut a slit in the plastic, then microwave on high 2.3 minutes, then stir, then replace the cover and let sit 1.3 minutes" etc. instructions on it, I glaze over and go "Uhh, nah." I really am a simple person when it comes to kitchen/food. Sammich, cheese and crackers, cereal, to-go stuff, whatever. 

If you have any pics or can point me to some, that would be super helpful. I hope someone will post a few and I will watch the walk-through for the Elite 1 again -- and pause it and take screen caps and try to guesstimate dimensions of what drawers etc. there are. That might actually work ok now that I think about it. I mean, can a silverware holder go in a drawer or is there no drawer even for something like that? 

Will def be organizing the truck to be a "closet" and whatever else it needs to be.

BTW, right now I actually LIVE in a 400 sf space WITH dog. I am fairly good at downsizing and have been at all extremes in life (i.e., huuuuuge fan-ceh place to take care of, medium-but-still-too-much-space-I-never-used place, and eventually down to 400 sf and I swear, 50% of it can -- and must - GO. I never USE the stuff, or the space. I am outside a lot. I use mobile apps, internet; I rarely watch TV and could easily live without one. I do need good internet and once I get the hang of the rest of things (uh, like, towing and hoses and parking LOL), Imma focus on creating an awesome setup for geekery like that.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

30 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Two things - change the question, invert -  from how much fits,  to what do I really need. Minimalism comes to mind.

And as Susan has mentioned - Your TV and set-up should encompass storage solutions that fit this situation. For me it's a 3/4 ton diesel truck with a Leer top,  rear trailer rack, and if needed, roof rack on the truck/bed top. 

And I'll add - I would eliminate the Micro - its pantry now, add the front basket, and explore rear trailer rack solutions.

Get started, it will work out as you gain time and experience in the set-up. 

Enjoy the experience 

Thanks! I am getting the basket (comes with the other package stuff I am getting, connections and stuff). I think I WILL use the basket -- just my personal pref and all. And I am looking at covers for the TV bed (lockable, secure as I can make it, regardless of cost, may hire an armed guard FT -- kidding!), and also trying to get a list going as to "essential" TOOLS for a non-modding type who nonetheless wants to be able to fix "minor" things herself. I was married to a Gen Contractor so I am okay with SOME "DIY" basic stuff, but not into voiding warranties and I know my limitations. Screwdrivers, truck items (safety-related, etc.), the right set of wrenches, stuff like that . . .  I will want definitely want to bring (or acquire) for my toolbox. (I will search the forums for "basic toolbox items one should have" and see what-all comes up).

I am very into minimalism, no worries there. BUT, at the same time, I don't wanna get rid of stuff I might actually need and use. Thank you so much again, for your help and info!

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

I don't think you'll find it too hard to accommodate what you need in the Elite, and the truckbed, and that cave of a back seat in the Rebel. 

We travel most of the time with three or more empty cupboards. 

Instead of a bath cabinet, which we don't have, I keep bath supplies in a plastic file box, with a handle on top. It just fits between the toilet and wall, and it's easy to remove when using the shower. Extra bath towels go in a bedding crate under the bed.

Do you have any IKEA skubb fabric boxes? I use those in upper cabinets, to organize contents. Since they're fabric, they bend to fit the available space, plus they're light. 

I pack our clothes, mostly, in packing cubes. I  also have a hanging kids organizer from ikea in the closet. It holds ikea skubb boxes, and small packing cubes, and/or rolled sweaters and shirts. I'm with Susan. Rolling clothes, for the most part, keeps things compact and mostly wrinkle free.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Another thing I've found helpful,  when camping in tiny van campers abroad, is to use soft duffle bags for coats, extra clothes etc. They can squish in anywhere. In our truck bed, I  can put a partially loaded duffel on top of some bins. In Iceland, camping in a tiny van, I  had to move some stuff from bed to car seats at night. It took just a minute, so no big deal. (If you actually find out you run out of space. Which I doubt.)

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, SherMica said:

I am DEF getting the microwave

Worth noting that you  can always  use the microwave itself for some storage. In our camper van, we tend to put the dog food in there along with a few other things such as bags  of homemade granola or such. Yes you  need to remove these things when microwaving so it's  helpful for these things to be few and easy  to shuffle around. 

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

47 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Another thing I've found helpful,  when camping in tiny van campers abroad, is to use soft duffle bags for coats, extra clothes etc. They can squish in anywhere. In our truck bed, I  can put a partially loaded duffel on top of some bins. In Iceland, camping in a tiny van, I  had to move some stuff from bed to car seats at night. It took just a minute, so no big deal. (If you actually find out you run out of space. Which I doubt.)

Yes, we have learned to make use of soft duffels for clothes, bike gear (helmets, cleated shoes, locks, etc.), and basically anything that can  reasonably be held this way, for just the reasons you mention. It only takes a minute to shift ballast around to move from "night mode" (i.e. with back seat folded out into bed with bedding on it) to "driving mode" in our standard size van. We have a few different sizes of duffel bags on hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I bought some soft folding “nesting” dufbags a while back, yay! May get another set or two as I can’t see making much use of my “airport” baggage. Although even if I end up throwing them out after I get stuff out of them, the world will not weep as they are beat up Jed Clampett bags. Heh.

Also, you were in ICELAND and that means I am officially extremely envious!!

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

46 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

Worth noting that you  can always  use the microwave itself for some storage. In our camper van, we tend to put the dog food in there along with a few other things such as bags  of homemade granola or such. Yes you  need to remove these things when microwaving so it's  helpful for these things to be few and easy  to shuffle around. 

Excellent idea. Right now at “home” I put stuff in the oven. That’s how often I “cook.” Hah!

• Haha 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

I don't think you'll find it too hard to accommodate what you need in the Elite, and the truckbed, and that cave of a back seat in the Rebel. 

Instead of a bath cabinet, which we don't have, I keep bath supplies in a plastic file box, with a handle on top. It just fits between the toilet and wall, and it's easy to remove when using the shower. Extra bath towels go in a bedding crate under the bed.

Do you have any IKEA skubb fabric boxes? I use those in upper cabinets, to organize contents. Since they're fabric, they bend to fit the available space, plus they're light. 

I pack our clothes, mostly, in packing cubes. I  also have a hanging kids organizer from ikea in the closet. It holds ikea skubb boxes, and small packing cubes, and/or rolled sweaters and shirts. I'm with Susan. Rolling clothes, for the most part, keeps things compact and mostly wrinkle free.

Screenshot_20201107-132814_Chrome.jpg

Yes! i have 5-6 black Amazon special cubes and def taking those!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

2 minutes ago, SherMica said:

Excellent idea. Right now at “home” I put stuff in the oven. That’s how often I “cook.” Hah!

Ha! 

In the constrained space  of our regular sized  (with raised top) van, we've learned to  make dual  use of many spaces in the van (stuff shuffles  from bed to  front seats etc. as we go  from driving to  camping etc.).

• Like 2

Screenshot_20201107-132814_Chrome.jpg

BTW, lol @ “cave back seat.” No kidding! It’s so big it has its own atmosphere. Snort. 🙂

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, SherMica said:

May get another set or two as I can’t see making much use of my “airport” baggage. Although even if I end up throwing them out after I get stuff out of them, the world will not weep as they are beat up Jed Clampett bags. Heh.

I wouldn't be too quick to do that. You may want to use them for out of season clothes, boots, shoes. Especially if they fit on or beside totes in the truck bed, filling spaces, and soft side as opposed to heavy hardshell.

My mom travels back and forth from Florida to the Midwest.  She keeps northern gear in a suitcase under a bed. Some paperwork in a small hardwire bag, basically a "file cabinet." Just a thought.

Edited by SeaDawg
multiple typos 😑
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

52 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I wouldn't be too quick to do that. You may want to use them for out of season clothes, boots, shoes. Especially if they fit on or beside totes in the truck bed, filling spaces, and soft side as opposed to heavy hardshell.

My mom travels back and forth from Florida to the Midwest.  She keeps northern gear in a suitcase under a bed. Some paperwork in a small hardwire bag, basically a "file cabinet." Just a thought.

Well, one is a HUGE (like, fit a fam of 4 inside it) bag with a handle that rolls. Another is a typical airline roller bag. Both well used for a LONG time, used to fly alla time.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

That "huge" (imagining my sil's bag for a week, family of four for others for a week) might be just the ticket for out of season coats and clothes. On its side. 

You never know...

At least I'd use it to start sorting.

When we moved the last two times, I took everything out of my closets, tried everything on, and discarded everything that I wasn't happy with, fit or looks.

With the exception of things I hadn't worn in 18 months. Those, I didn't even bother with. To charity, they went.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

That "huge" (imagining my sil's bag for a week, family of four for others for a week) might be just the ticket for out of season coats and clothes. On its side. 

You never know...

At least I'd use it to start sorting.

When we moved the last two times, I took everything out of my closets, tried everything on, and discarded everything that I wasn't happy with, fit or looks.

With the exception of things I hadn't worn in 18 months. Those, I didn't even bother with. To charity, they went.

I mean huge like it could store a space shuttle huge. Heh. I have had that thing for decades. I’m with you on ditching stuff though. Been doing that for about 4 years now, one way or another. I look around at stuff, clothing, whatever, and ask “When was the last time I even saw this, much less used it or wore it?” If it’s a year or more, off it goes. I find I’m actually enjoying NOT having “stuff.” It’s true, for me anyway, your stuff starts “owning” you. Minimalism is a whole “movement” as you probably know. I think getting older makes it even more appealing to me personally, as well.

OH. OT a bit. Yesterday I found I can easily sleep in the Ram truck. The driver’s seat reclines all the way flat and moves you way back from the pedals. I’m almost 6’ tall. NO prob. Yeah, I know I’m “eccentric,” but I actually took a 40-minute NAP in the reclined driver’s seat and I can’t EVEN BELIEVE how comfortable I was. NO pillow. Just parked in my parking spot here, couple windows partly down for a breeze. Not 15 feet away, buses were zooming past. Zzz. Best nap EVER. Woke myself up snoring. Daintily, of course. 

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Finally, my focus has switched from Amazon to packing for the weeklong journey to Hohenwald . . . . .  18 days and counting!  Unsure of what to expect for services enroute and opposed to fast food take out for the duration, I have put together a road trip kitchen so we can prepare meals at our lodging stopovers (husband rolling eyes):

• Induction burner
  • Two Magma pans (small saucepan and fry pan)
  • Electric tea kettle
  • French Press
  • A few kitchen supplies (can opener, spatula, knife, pot holder, paper towels, etc)
  • Small Ikea salad spinner (doubles as a mixing bowl)
  • Dish washing supplies (soap, dish draining mat, scrubber)
  • Paper plates/bowls plastic silverware
  • Ziploc and small garbage bags
  • Disinfecting wipes

All of this packs into a large LL Bean duffle (now I know why I bought this a few years back) so we can tote the "kitchen" to our room.

For a pantry, I am stocking dry goods in a soft-side cooler based on pre-planned meals.  Perishables and frozen pre-made meals will be packed in a cooler.  These will be carried in the pickup bed and secured in the front seat at night.  We will transfer items as needed, and utilize lodging with microwave/mini fridges for meal prep and recharging ice packs.  The next day's lunch will be prepared in advance and packed in a soft-side lunch cooler.

My 2-week wardrobe will be carried in modular packing cubes stored on the back seat floorboards of the pickup for easy access, taking to the room only what I need for the next day.  Not sure what the husband is doing; he doesn't have two weeks worth of clothes!

Trailer essentials, camping gear, bedding, etcetera will be packed in totes and carried in the pickup's back seat and bed toolbox; after delivery we will shop to stock the Oliver with food (and forgotten items) for our two-night shakedown at David Crocket SP and the adventure home.

I'll try to remember to share a picture of the pickup loaded down for departure 😀

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Finally, my focus has switched from Amazon to packing for the weeklong journey to Hohenwald . . . . .  18 days and counting!  Unsure of what to expect for services enroute and opposed to fast food take out for the duration, I have put together a road trip kitchen so we can prepare meals at our lodging stopovers (husband rolling eyes):

• Induction burner
  • Two Magma pans (small saucepan and fry pan)
  • Electric tea kettle
  • French Press
  • A few kitchen supplies (can opener, spatula, knife, pot holder, paper towels, etc)
  • Small Ikea salad spinner (doubles as a mixing bowl)
  • Dish washing supplies (soap, dish draining mat, scrubber)
  • Paper plates/bowls plastic silverware
  • Ziploc and small garbage bags
  • Disinfecting wipes

All of this packs into a large LL Bean duffle (now I know why I bought this a few years back) so we can tote the "kitchen" to our room.

For a pantry, I am stocking dry goods in a soft-side cooler based on pre-planned meals.  Perishables and frozen pre-made meals will be packed in a cooler.  These will be carried in the pickup bed and secured in the front seat at night.  We will transfer items as needed, and utilize lodging with microwave/mini fridges for meal prep and recharging ice packs.  The next day's lunch will be prepared in advance and packed in a soft-side lunch cooler.

My 2-week wardrobe will be carried in modular packing cubes stored on the back seat floorboards of the pickup for easy access, taking to the room only what I need for the next day.  Not sure what the husband is doing; he doesn't have two weeks worth of clothes!

Trailer essentials, camping gear, bedding, etcetera will be packed in totes and carried in the pickup's back seat and bed toolbox; after delivery we will shop to stock the Oliver with food (and forgotten items) for our two-night shakedown at David Crocket SP and the adventure home.

I'll try to remember to share a picture of the pickup loaded down for departure 😀

So so so excited for you!!!

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png