Quilt Shops? Barn Quilt Trails?

Mainiac

Starting to plan a late winter/early spring trip. Have been asked to include time to visit great Quilt Shops. And as we travel we might as well take in some Barn Quilt Trails. We have been to the Paducah Quilt Museum, and touched the hand carved wooden quilt.

Anyone know of shops and trails we shouldn't miss? 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great adventure you are planning to undertake. I am new to the quilting world so I have only seen beautiful quilts on display at  South Jersey's, "Olde City Quilts"; https://www.oldecityquilts.com/. I visited them several times to view their longarm quilting machines. I definitely want to  visit the Paducah Museum. If I already had my Oliver, I would be visiting the upper New York quilting shops and enjoying the end of fall with all the colorful dropping leaves.

Is Paducah also the home of the Hancock fabric shop? I would love to see Robert Kaufman and Hoffman fabrics. It took me an entire summer to obtain some of the Kaufman materials. How wonderful it would be to peruse their inventory and buy material there. 

Hope you have great weather in your travels,

Audrey

We are frequent visitors there, as well as Maine-ly Sewing. Sometimes I take back roads to get away from some of the shops, only to find others. Nice to see Whitefield coming back to life out there.

How many times have you loaded and the truck?

How many days?

Haven’t fully loaded the truck yet.. partially a couple times though for sure.. it’s going to be a crowded place for the run to TN for sure. We are staging everything in the barn however.... makin’ a list, checkin’ it twice kind of stuff. Despite our best intentions we are unable to heed all the great advice given here about” not needing to bring everything you could possibly need when you pick up your new Oliver”... Blaming it on the virus and wanting to stay out of stores... but we’d be doing the same thing Covid or not.. can’t help ourselves.. it’s just fun.

Whitefield has really changed, it’s fun watching the number of horse and buggies increase each year. 

12 days til we head out, 14 days til pickup. 
11 or 12 days til first Nor’easter 🙂

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Mcb said:

not needing to bring everything you could possibly need when you pick up your new Oliver”...

Did you possibly pack a torque wrench? I found a 1/2" at Harbor Freight for $19. It came in a case and it lives in the Oliver. I also printed off and laminated the torque spec chart. Guess I should double check the sockets to be sure the right ones are on board. Things to check in the first 50-100 miles might be wheel lugs, spring shackles, etc.? 

72 today. 48 by Saturday. Pack sandals and boots and a rain coat.

• Moderators

I'm not a quilter, but I've noticed some great quilt shops in Asheville.  The display at the Folk Arts Museum on the Blue Ridge, just off i40, east Asheville,  is interesting,  as are the other exhibits.

Normally,  the Southern Highlands Guild has a big show in Asheville in October. I've not been, but did the craftsmanship tour some years back, but that's no longer. Loved the wood turning and glass arts.

We'll have to see what 2021 brings. Summer show was virtual this year. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Did you possibly pack a torque wrench? I found a 1/2" at Harbor Freight for $19. It came in a case and it lives in the Oliver. I also printed off and laminated the torque spec chart. Guess I should double check the sockets to be sure the right ones are on board. Things to check in the first 50-100 miles might be wheel lugs, spring shackles, etc.? 

72 today. 48 by Saturday. Pack sandals and boots and a rain coat.

Yup, got a torque wrench.. oh and sockets, grease gun, grease, fuses, wire nuts, 1 1/4” wrench, pex cutter, sharkbite couplings, couple short lengths of pex, cable ties, electrical tape, duct tape, misc screws and some other stuff that will live in the basement of the camper so as not to get mixed in with “the other tools”...... ended up “mocking up” the space of the basement on a work bench, so as to figure out how to get all the stuff into it.. ended up building a box of sort for the above mentioned items.. should fit to the left of the opening.. and if not? I will have what’s necessary to modify it in the truck... with the other tools..

I gotta get out of here... 🙂 

• Haha 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

I hope you get out before the nor 'easter. 

Safe travels. I'm sure you are well equipped. 😀

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Normally,  the Southern Highlands Guild has a big show in Asheville in October. I've not been, but did the craftsmanship tour some years back, but that's no longer. Loved the wood turning and glass arts.

We'll have to see what 2021 brings. Summer show was virtual this year. 

Unfortunately, we just found out that the "Fall"2020 Southern Highlands Guild show will also be of the virtual kind.

Bill

• Sad 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Unfortunately, we just found out that the "Fall"2020 Southern Highlands Guild show will also be of the virtual kind.

Bill

Let's keep our fingers crossed for next year

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

11 hours ago, Mcb said:

I figured I’d bring it along...

Know the "stockpiling".. Think the only things we have added to the mix since is a 'Bandit' and a collapsible jug from Reny's. Think we will add another collapsible jug too. Maybe that SS pail I use sometimes needs a dedicated one for the Oliver? The downsize struggle continues. Oh ya, an extension handle for a package of Jiffy Pop. Works great around a campfire... Maybe I should get ............a .........

• Like 3