Pro Breeze dehumidifier(s)

Patriot

We have been using a Pro Breeze 150 SF (1200 CF) dehumidifier in our Ollie plugged into shore power while in storage here at our home. We emptied this dehumidifier every 5 days.  It just was not enough machine to get the RH down to a target range of below 50%. This smaller unit has struggled to bring the RH down to 68%. So we ordered the next size larger 250 SF (2200 CF) and are going to give it a try. Hopefully this new unit will drop the RH to less than 50%. 

We monitor internal temp and RH humidity remotely from our home with a remote weather station - channel 1 & 2. Channels 3 under curbside bed and 4 is located in the battery compartment. Is anyone else using a dehumidifier while their Ollie is stored? 
Care to share what your using?  

E2E9B870-10E8-43BD-978B-D887AE29DDED.jpeg

E74089D7-D8D5-4F78-8DE2-26FD98AF8915.png

DD2C00E7-50D0-4559-98F6-ED135BA660F1.png

B16FFA92-C528-4000-A93A-DB14CC3257F0.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I purchased the Pro Breeze 2200 for ours, but it would not get the humidity down below 60%.  So last week I went to the local big box and picked up a 20 pint GE dehumidifier. The GE is a bit large to carry along on trips, but I am happy to report for storage it is working great.  I have it set to keep humidity  down  to 45%. It dropped the trailer to that in less than an hour.  I have had a slightly larger GE in my workshop for about 4-5 years and it has worked continuously without problem, so that is the reason I tried another GE.  I don't know how Western NC compares in humidity levels with Raleigh area. Hopefully, it is not as bad, but I am guessing it is probably the same. We will use the Pro Breeze when traveling.

Edited by Ray Kimsey
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

in our Ollie plugged into shore power while in storage

Question: how long has there been an outlet there? Or did you add?

Here in Maine, in the Winter, our RH is quite low. Our question is how often do you have to empty the container? Would the contents have a chance to freeze? Is there a way to drain into a different container. Thinking a bucket filled with nontoxic antifreeze?

All the 2020's have an outlet there.  I am not sure when it was added. The GE has a bucket and also the option to add a hose to have it drain. I am emptying mine every other day or so.  I may shut it off when it gets colder. It becomes less effective below 41, but then the humidity usually drops when it gets that cold here.  We are expecting our first freeze here next week. I think they are show 29 on Tuesday morning.

Edited by Ray Kimsey
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ray Kimsey said:

All the 2020's have an outlet there.  I am not sure when it was added. T

Like the outlet there. Should be easy to add. Will have to look at another "maybe add" in early Spring. Would be easier to plug in while sitting at the dinette than somewhere between your legs where the outlet is hidden by the table. On second thought maybe we better look at the overhead. Maybe between the cabinets? So no cord to trip over?

2 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Question: how long has there been an outlet there? Or did you add?

Here in Maine, in the Winter, our RH is quite low. Our question is how often do you have to empty the container? Would the contents have a chance to freeze? Is there a way to drain into a different container. Thinking a bucket filled with nontoxic antifreeze?

That outlet came with our 2020 Ollie. We on occasion have a chance of freezing temps here and I plan to run the furnace on those few nights in the short winters we have here. Or just pull the dehumidifier as to not damage it. 
So we’ll see how it goes. 

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ray Kimsey said:

I purchased the Pro Breeze 2200 for ours, but it would not get the humidity down below 60%.  So last week I went to the local big box and picked up a 20 pint GE dehumidifier. The GE is a bit large to carry along on trips, but I am happy to report for storage it is working great.  I have it set to keep humidity  down  to 45%. It dropped the trailer to that in less than an hour.  I have had a slightly larger GE in my workshop for about 4-5 years and it has worked continuously without problem, so that is the reason I tried another GE.  I don't know how Western NC compares in humidity levels with Raleigh area. Hopefully, it is not as bad, but I am guessing it is probably the same. We will use the Pro Breeze when traveling.

Ray, 

Thank you for this great feedback. We will be keeping the 2200 Pro Breeze for traveling as well.
Would you mind sharing more info on the GE unit you purchased. Lowe’s or HD? 
Thank you,

David

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Ray, 

Thank you for this great feedback. We will be keeping the 2200 Pro Breeze for traveling as well.
Would you mind sharing more info on the GE unit you purchased. Lowe’s or HD? 
Thank you,

David

It was the HD.  Here is a link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-20-Pint-Dehumidifier-ADEL20LY/310574305

The price was 159.00

IMG_4729 2.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Ray Kimsey said:

It was the HD.  Here is a link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-20-Pint-Dehumidifier-ADEL20LY/310574305

The price was 159.00

IMG_4729 2.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

Ray,

Thank you, very helpful and much appreciated.

David

IMG_2879.jpeg

We just ordered and received this dehumidifier. Haven't had a chance to test it out, as our Oliver has not been delivered yet (but soon - very soon!).  I might try it in my potting shed at home and see how it performs.

While researching humidity control, I did not know there are different types of dehumidifiers: some designed for controlling humidity while the trailer is in storage and others (more efficient?) for use while the trailer is occupied - the reason being that there is more excess humidity created when live bodies are involved.  Thus, square footage is not the only consideration.  Since we are more concerned about condensation at night, when the temperature drops, the trailer is receiving less ventilation, and we are sleeping in a more enclosed environment, we opted for the "dessicant" type.  Maybe someone can explain the differences in the types.

I will report the findings on my potting shed test.  The square footage is similar to the Elite II and it is insulated, though not as well as the Oliver.

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 11/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, Ray Kimsey said:

Ray,

Thank you.

We will be installing it this morning and giving it a try. I would like to drop the RH to less than 50%. 

**Edit with a few photos - just installed the GE unit, it’s hefty in weight - box says 33#. Instructions say to set the unit to lower H to 45-50% during first 24 hrs of operation, done. My only concern will be to ensure it does not dry out our sink, shower traps and toilet from antifreeze too quickly. We’ll monitor this for a week and see how it does. A pic showing the size comparison to the Pro Breeze. This Tuesday & Wednesday we may dip down to a freeze point, so I will need to keep an eye on the dehumidifier so that it does not freeze up. A work in progress.
-David

8EB781EA-3449-4C59-AE78-E4C36710955E.jpeg

6D5DE8DF-A2C9-451A-B231-CA585836B625.jpeg

Readings after plugging in the GE - so we’ll watch progress. 

81DF6910-027A-4729-A627-AFEB04A0F4D4.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

My only concern will be to ensure it does not dry out our sink, shower traps and toilet from antifreeze too quickly. We’ll monitor this for a week and see how it does. 

Would it help to plug in the drains while dehumidifying to prevent this?  Another thought: would removal of water from the P-traps by dehumidification increase the concentration of the antifreeze?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

13 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I vote for the little guy - the smile gives it personality.  Who cares how it works 😁.

Bill

We’ll keep the smiling little guy for travel 😄. Although I think it’s not going to be very effective when we are in and out of the Ollie. It maintains about 69% RH. Better than nothing I suppose. 🥴

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

It would be super easy to seal off those traps to block the room air, so they don’t dry out and get smelly. For the floor and each sink, small circles of sheet rubber or pieces cut from an old mouse pad. For the flush toilet you would need to wrap the bowl with plastic kitchen wrap. 

In our semi-arid climate I have no need for a dehumidifier, the relative humidity stays below 50% and fairly constant in my Ollie, stored inside an attached, insulated (but unheated) RV bay. Plus the temperature is very stable, which reduces the possibility of condensation from large swings....The house OTH requires a whole house humidifier for the furnace, or the RH will drop to 20% or less. Snap crackle pop! Blue lightning from your fingers! With the humidifier it stays at more comfortable 45-50%. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, Susan Huff said:

Would it help to plug in the drains while dehumidifying to prevent this?  Another thought: would removal of water from the P-traps by dehumidification increase the concentration of the antifreeze?

Yes to your first question, the toilet will still need a cup or two periodically. Second question, we’ll see. I have the new unit set to reduce the H to 50% for now. A work in progress. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

10 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

It would be super easy to seal off those traps to block the room air, so they don’t dry out and get smelly. For the floor and each sink, small circles of sheet rubber or pieces cut from an old mouse pad. For the flush toilet you would need to wrap the bowl with plastic kitchen wrap. 

In our semi-arid climate I have no need for a dehumidifier, the relative humidity stays low and fairly constant in my Ollie, stored inside an attached, insulated (but unheated) RV bay. The house OTH requires a whole house humidifier for the furnace, or the RH will drop to 20% or less. Snap crackle pop! Blue lightning from your fingers! With the humidifier it stays at more comfortable 45-50%. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Great suggestions John, I have not wrapped a toilet seat in Saran Wrap since pulling a trick on a few friends many many years ago.😂 I will spare the details. Well I did get tossed into a pool full clothes as payback. 😂 Those teenage years were fun. A beverage and campfire story for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

LOL, wrap the toilet and place an old rag on top, to indicate.... “Do NOT use!” I for one would not mind hearing the story about how you ended up in the pool.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We have a compressor type, whole house dehumidifier in our home in Florida.  I've not used a dehumidifier in the Oliver, yet.

I was curious,  too, about the difference between compressor vs dessicant dehumidifiers.  Thus article was pretty informative. 

Dessicant type is more quiet (I'd like that, in the trailer), and more efficient in cool weather, below 15c/ 59 f, or so it says.

https://www-andatechdistribution-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.andatechdistribution.com.au/a/s/blogs/news/desiccant-or-compressor-dehumidifier?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16054442036917&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.andatechdistribution.com.au%2Fblogs%2Fnews%2Fdesiccant-or-compressor-dehumidifier

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

LOL, wrap the toilet and place an old rag on top, to indicate.... “Do NOT use!” I for one would not mind hearing the story about how you ended up in the pool.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

JD, I am on a quest for hunter blaze orange Saran Wrap to cover that bowl! 😂 

Maybe just a large note to self.

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

30 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We have a compressor type, whole house dehumidifier in our home in Florida.  I've not used a dehumidifier in the Oliver, yet.

I was curious,  too, about the difference between compressor vs dessicant dehumidifiers.  Thus article was pretty informative. 

Dessicant type is more quiet (I'd like that, in the trailer), and more efficient in cool weather, below 15c/ 59 f, or so it says.

https://www-andatechdistribution-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.andatechdistribution.com.au/a/s/blogs/news/desiccant-or-compressor-dehumidifier?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16054442036917&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.andatechdistribution.com.au%2Fblogs%2Fnews%2Fdesiccant-or-compressor-dehumidifier

Very interesting link, Thank you! 
I just read in the owners manual not to run our new GE dehumidifier below 41 degrees or above 90 degrees😳. So with temps dipping below freezing I will just empty it and turn it off this mid week at night. The GE model has a high and low speed and it’s pretty quiet on low. A continued work in progress. 

Here is the GE we purchased recommended by Ray.  We bought at HD - it’s heavier than it looks at 33 lbs empty.

EF2E8FEC-64E4-42C9-83B3-2FE4CB773CE1.png

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Yes, those compressors are heavy.

JD - I too would like to see the person that threw Patriot in the pool.  I've had the pleasure of meeting Patriot and his lovely wife and he is not a small guy by ANY means.  And, he's in pretty good shape too.  

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I don't know if there was a Halloween orange edition, but the snowflake/holiday cling wrap should be enough to alert anyone that the toilet is "winterized. "

Screenshot_20201115-151612_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just a follow up with the GE dehumidifier listed above. We learned in the owners manual that it should not be used below 41 degrees or above 90 degrees and its heavy as a boat anchor. So we returned the unit to HD yesterday. So our search continues. We will keep the Pro Breeze for travel.

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg