Big Desktop Monitor in Elite 1

Moonlight Mile

I know, weird question, but for you Elite 1 owners:

I use a MacBook Pro but I connect it to a large curved desktop monitor — a 38-incher — yep — and I love it and use it for what I do. 

Love as in “I will do whatever I have to in order to keep it, yes, even in the Elite 1, if at all possible, and I don’t care how much ‘counterspace” it uses long as I can plug that puppy in” — that  level of love. Heh.

I know this sounds insane to some (all?). But can anyone with a late model Elite 1 (standard floor plan) tell me the various counter dimensions of the table spaces in the Elite 1? Can I cram this thing on top of the smaller table (dinette?) on the side? Hoping to set it up and keep it set up. I’m a nerd. MacBook Pro screen too small. Too used to the big curved monitor now. Thanks for not laughing. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

The small dinette is a little less than 24 x 24. If you put it there, you'll block a lot of the window. And, in not sure where you could mount it 

I'd look at a wall mount in the corner,  over the bed, especially with a curve screen. With a three way adustable mount, so you can bring it closer.

This is a topic you should discuss with your rep. How heavy is 5he monitor,? Can you also use it to stream tv?

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

No, it doesn't sound insane to me. Both my husband and my daughter would be lost without dual, though smaller, monitors.

Our daughter started a trend at her new company, when one of her conditions of hire was dual big monitors, three years ago.

Now, all her department has them.

Me, I'm retired.  I can work from a largish phone.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thinking about it, you "could" possibly pick one side of the dinette for the monitor. Shower side. You'd sit facing the front of the trailer.  It would take up a lot of space,  and pretty much eliminate anyone sitting in that seat .

Dimensions?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

17 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Our daughter started a trend at her new company, when one of her conditions of hire was dual big monitors, three years ago

Good for her!! Some former colleagues of mine did some good published research work that showed a significant increase in productivity for several typical office work type tasks on a multimonitor setup. It's worth the expense in fairly short order for most employers.

My desktop at home has a 24" monitor and a color calibrated high gamut 26" monitor (the color accuracy is important for the photo editing I do with this system). When on the road in my van doing photography, I make do with my laptop for initial culling and "test edits" but I have learned to wait until I get home to do any heavy lifting as on top of it just being significantly more efficient with the two screen setup, I also don't need to redo a bunch of work due to not having a really great color calibrated high gamut monitor (i.e. high range of colors displayed and in a consistent fashion i.e. a given red on two uncalibrated monitors can look quite different but will look the same on calibrated monitors). 

As for the OP, I also wonder about perhaps replacing both the TV mount as well as the TV in the Elite - i.e. if there's some sort of monitor mount that would drop down and out far enough and hold well enough to work. I'm guessing not - among other things the corner location seems like it would make it tough to get a good ergonomic and securely mounted setup. But I am guessing they reinforce the fiberglass at that mount point...

Someday we may be able to get virtual reality goggles that put multiple high resolution monitors in front of you in virtual space. This is a use of the VR tech that a lot of people actually might use. It would be perfect for a small travel trailer.

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jim_Oker said:

for the OP, I also wonder about perhaps replacing both the TV mount as well as the TV in the Elite - i.e. if there's some sort of monitor mount that would drop down and out far enough and hold well enough to work.

That's exactly what I  was thinking about.  A long arm mount that could stretch over the 54"  bed in the daytime,  push back into the sw curved corner at night. Replace the tv. Work from the small dinette.  A monitor that big can't be right on your nose, anyway.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I'm of course assuming the TV Vesa mount and backing for the elite 1 is still in the corner, not over the back exit window. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
19 hours ago, SherMica said:

I use a MacBook Pro but I connect it to a large curved desktop monitor — a 38-incher — yep — and I love it and use it for what I do. 

18 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Thinking about it, you "could" possibly pick one side of the dinette for the monitor. Shower side. You'd sit facing the front of the trailer.  It would take up a lot of space,  and pretty much eliminate anyone sitting in that seat .

image.thumb.jpeg.ef029177d69442e9137f9a03e8c582ba.jpeg

This is a picture of my last workstation, 2 - 32" and 3 - 24" monitors on a sit/stand desktop, so I get the big monitor thing.  Your question got me to pondering the problem.  My first thought based on Sherry's suggestion about the dinette and the fact that your traveling solo frees up one side of the dinette, was a Lagun mount on the side of the dinette seat under the table.  Then I thought about mounting it to the shower wall, but that would be too far away for my taste.  So here are a couple of options for both of my thoughts.

FDE1B37A-BCDB-4A82-B987-9D6D0C93C22F.thumb.jpeg.54d0374d4b729983a37353fd68a11a7c.jpeg

I do think you should live with the big monitor temporarily and try it in different locations to see where you would like to mount it permanently and then find the best solution.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 minutes ago, mossemi said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ef029177d69442e9137f9a03e8c582ba.jpeg

This is a picture of my last workstation, 2 - 32" and 3 - 24" monitors on a sit/stand desktop, so I get the big monitor thing.  Your question got me to pondering the problem.  My first thought based on Sherry's suggestion about the dinette and the fact that your traveling solo frees up one side of the dinette, was a Lagun mount on the side of the dinette seat under the table.  Then I thought about mounting it to the shower wall, but that would be too far away for my taste.  So here are a couple of options for both of my thoughts.

FDE1B37A-BCDB-4A82-B987-9D6D0C93C22F.thumb.jpeg.54d0374d4b729983a37353fd68a11a7c.jpeg

I do think you should live with the big monitor temporarily and try it in different locations to see where you would like to mount it permanently and then find the best solution.

Mossey

OMG thank you SO much for this! I was really agonizing. It’s a geek thing. Heh. I will make it work. I don’t care if a “guest” comes in; they’ll just have to move around the monitor. Haha.

Thank you again!

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

19 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The small dinette is a little less than 24 x 24. If you put it there, you'll block a lot of the window. And, in not sure where you could mount it 

I'd look at a wall mount in the corner,  over the bed, especially with a curve screen. With a three way adustable mount, so you can bring it closer.

This is a topic you should discuss with your rep. How heavy is 5he monitor,? Can you also use it to stream tv?

Thank you SO much for the info. 24x24 would be a stretch. I like the mount idea a lot, and they make great things for that exact purpose as you know.  Yes at home I use the monitor to stream stuff, actually gonna be getting rid of my “Actual 40-inch smart TV.”

Weighs 20 lbs! Ack, but I think it can be mounted somehow. Here, I cut and pasted way more info than anyone needs on this monitor:

Description

The LG 38UC99 UltraWide 21:9 curved monitor is the ultimate large screen monitor for work and for play. The graceful curve of the he world's first 38-inch curved IPS monitor helps create an immersive viewing experience. Combine the elegant design with the 3840 x 1600 UltraWide Quad Plus definition (WQHD+) picture quality of your movies, games and creative passions will seem to come to life. When it comes to productivity, the convenient USB 3.0 quick charge connects right into the monitor to quickly charge your devices. For the multi-taker, the large screen and 21:9 aspect ratio of 38UC99 puts it all on display. The brightness is 300 cd/m2

Features & details

• 38" 21:9 UltraWide Curved WQHD+ IPS Display
  • Response Time: 14ms / 5ms GTG, 1ms Motion Blur Reduction
  • USB Type C & USB 3.0 Quick Charge
  • AMD FreeSync Technology
  • Bluetooth Speakers with Rich Bass (10W x 2)

Product information

Summary

Standing screen display size 37.5 Inches
Max Screen Resolution 3840 x 1600 Pixels

Other Technical Details

Brand LG
Item model number 38UC99-W
Item Weight 20.5 pounds
Product Dimensions 32.7 x 17.7 x 15.7 inches
Item Dimensions LxWxH
Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

17 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm of course assuming the TV Vesa mount and backing for the elite 1 is still in the corner, not over the back exit window. 

Honestly I have had a little trouble FINDING pics of the Elite 1 (2021) interior. On the OTT site they have tons of slides of Ollies but I notice now that they are often of the II (extra cabinets under the sink-stove area that Elite 1 doesn’t have, etc.) so I am never quite sure what EXACTLY some of the interior things in 2021 Elite 1 will actually look like. And nope, I’ve never been to see an Ollie of any kind in person so I am flying extra blind here in some ways. Ah well. I am excited and will figure out ways to make things work. 

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Looks like the standard TV mount (24 inch tv) is in the corner. But, I'd still ask my rep. I don't know how old that photo is 

Screenshot_20201114-135248_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, SherMica said:

Thanks ALL. And mainly for not thinking this is insane. Heh. 🙂

I wouldn't want to give it up, either, if I  could find a way to make it work. We like our samsung curve tv.

The slight curve should actually help, in a corner install. It will cover part of each of the adjoining windows.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

9 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I wouldn't want to give it up, either, if I  could find a way to make it work. We like our samsung curve tv.

The slight curve should actually help, in a corner install. It will cover part of each of the adjoining windows.

Hoping I can get something done on delivery day. Dream on?

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

With regards to delivery day - Jason Essary (Service Manager) is a good person to know.  If you give him and his staff enough warning and enough details as to what you want, I'm sure that he will do everything in his power to make it happen for you.  

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

41 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Just saw an Elite 1 today. The TV was in the corner as shown above. The Oliver is new, June 2020.

I guess a centrally mounted TV in the Elite 1 would restrict using the center (along the outside wall) dinette seat.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I guess a centrally mounted TV in the Elite 1 would restrict using the center (along the outside wall) dinette seat.

My guess is it's a height issue, restricting access to the emergency exit /rear window. The elite I has a few inches less interior height than a II.

Pretty sure technomadia mounted a quite large monitor in the rear corner, back in the day. I'll poke around and see if I  can find a photo.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Technomadia's 2008 monitor and articulating mount.

20201114_200139.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

SherMica.....I sold my 2019 LE1 a few months ago (loved it, LE2 on order).   As far as I know,  nothing has changed with the layout except some installed component brands such as the awning,TV, cell booster, wheel style,  etc.   Your Sales rep can confirm.   See the following link for pics of my 2019 LE1:  https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0K5oqs3qGxxgV5

• Thanks 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

Those photos should really be helpful to SherMica.  Thanks, Hokieman.

Shermica, I  did some rough measurements in my trailer this morning. 

Two places that could potentially accommodate your big monitor are the ones I mentioned before. With caveats.

If it were mounted on the shower wall, in use you would not be able to access the bathroom door, or open it. The monitor would have to be maneuvered back into the corner to do so.

In the corner of the bed, you'd need a long arm to make it useable from the small dinette. 

In either spit, it will cover more than half of an adjoining window. 

Where will your dog be sleeping? On the floor? In the big bed? On the small dinette? Steve/Scubarx drops down the little dinette for his large dog every night.

As I  recall, Technomadia used to dropdown and makeup the big bed every night, so that they had workspace during the day for two people. Not only is that a pain, but you'd lose a lot of underbed storage with that plan.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I do NOT recommend mounting that heavy an object to the shower wall. I am sure it is just like myLE2, meaning it is just glued in place to the walls and ceiling with silicone sealer. It is not intended to be a load bearing wall, the cabin structure sort of floats around it. I am actually surprised that it supports that heavy glass mirror door, it doesn’t seem very secure to me. OTH the door is closed when towing, so it isn’t flopping around and stressing the mounts. A wall mounted monitor would be very hard on things, especially on bumpy roads. I discovered this when I made a clothesline, the front end attached up high to the partition, and simply pulling down with a few pounds of pressure on the wire deflected the wall noticeably. I ended up installing a big aluminum angle brace there, between the partition and the ceiling. At the back, no worries, the rear overhead cabinet is pure thick fiberglass/ honeycomb. Very strong.....

ALSO, FYI, the bathroom divider/ wall is not a honeycomb composite structure like the rest of the hull, it has a thin plywood center, between the two gelcoated fiberglass panels. If you drill into it for any reason, you must seal the holes very well to prevent water entry from the wet bath. Moisture getting inside would rot the panel.

DBDAF872-B403-4D83-9C49-EE18AAE2FC94.thumb.jpeg.390633535503ef3666fd22bb289b2146.jpeg

Another consideration is somebody accidentally falling into the extended monitor, that impact would break things due to the massive leverage. I think you definitely need to get Oliver involved so you don’t break something. If you mount it without their engineering  blessing and it wrecks the attach area, they won’t consider that a normal warranty issue, but abuse, and you will end up paying for a (possibly very) expensive repair....Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Good call on rhe shower wall, John. I've only hung command hooks on mine,, with 2 or three coats.. probably not more than 10 pounds.

Maybe mounting to the upper cabinet, above the front small dinette chair? With a backing plate? And a way to lock it in and prevent motion underway. 

I'm sure Jason will have better ideas when SherMica gets to speak with him. 

Hanging it in the place of the TV mount presents other problems,  with space for the dog. I know my dog claims the entire bed as her own during the day, even though she has her own spot on the little dinette seat for nights.

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4