Lithium Pro Battery Compartment Design

Hokieman

I have a suggestion for those of you who are considering ordering the Lithium Pro package on a new Oliver.   I noticed on the Oliver website photos, the battery box is not insulated, and has vent holes cut in it.   These might be old photos.  Since LiFePO4 batteries do not vent hazardous gasses,  but have some temp restraints, the vents are a detriment to the design.  I understand the LifeBlue have internal heaters built in, but no need to activate them for no reason.  Perhaps Oliver have corrected this design oversight, but you might consider requesting it.   It shouldn’t cost anything, it will save them the trouble of cutting vent holes and installing screens.  The insulation is cheap and easy.  The notion to check on this came to me when I read an earlier post by AndewK.  Andrew converted to LiFePO4 and he plugged up those vent holes himself and insulated the battery compartment with the same material Oliver uses.  He now has no trouble charging his batteries in sub freezing temps.   That was a smart mod on his part.  Perhaps the Oliver Service Dept. will sell ventless doors if requested for those that have or want to convert from AGM.  

Edited by Hokieman
Typo
  • Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

13 hours ago, Hokieman said:

I have a suggestion for those of you who are considering ordering the Lithium Pro package on a new Oliver.   I noticed on the Oliver website photos, the battery box is not insulated, and has vent holes cut in it.   These might be old photos.  Since LiFePO4 batteries do not vent hazardous gasses,  but have some temp restraints, the vents are a detriment to the design.  I understand the LifeBlue have internal heaters built in, but no need to activate them for no reason.  Perhaps Oliver have corrected this design oversight, but you might consider requesting it.   It shouldn’t cost anything, it will save them the trouble of cutting vent holes and installing screens.  The insulation is cheap and easy.  The notion to check on this came to me when I read an earlier post by AndewK.  Andrew converted to LiFePO4 and he plugged up those vent holes himself and insulated the battery compartment with the same material Oliver uses.  He now has no trouble charging his batteries in sub freezing temps.   That was a smart mod on his part.  Perhaps the Oliver Service Dept. will sell ventless doors if requested for those that have or want to convert from AGM.  

We ordered the Lithium package.  Last week we received a message from Oliver that they have experienced overheating problems with the internal heating system in the LifeBlue batteries.  Because of this, they are installing the batteries with the internal heating disabled and are adding a heat mat for the batteries.  The heat mat will have to be turned on manually, as needed, based on the internal temperature of the batteries.  With this in mind, I am going to ask Oliver, if it would be prudent to insulate the battery compartment. Our Oliver is already in assembly.

• Thanks 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Retracting this suggestion.   I just received an explanation from AndrewK.  It seems Oliver can’t modify the door due to RVIA requirements for areas where batteries are stored.  They can’t even sell the door without holes.   Easiest option is plug the holes and insulate the compartment.   Andrew was able to get some of the fiberglass hole plugs from Oliver.

• Thanks 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250