Legacy Elite 2 buyer has questions about upgrades

Fargoman

Hello everyone!, My wife and I are planning to order a Legacy Elite 2 standard floor plan in the near future, and we have some questions for current owners about upgrades we are considering. Responses to any or all questions would be greatly appreciated. We plan to contact Oliver directly with the same questions, but want to get feedback from owners.

As a little background, we have traveled in the western USA with our Little Guy teardrop trailer for the past five years, and feel that it's time to get a 'real' trailer with four-season capability, and have settled on an Oliver after extensive online research.

Questions:

1: How does Ultrafabric differ from the standard fabric?

2: Are you happy with the KTT mattress upgrades? Do they replace the standard seating cushions in the dining area, i.e, are they covered in the selected fabric?

3: Standard versus Pro awnings; order sheet says both are powered, but not clear about differences or advantages.

4: Automatic back flow prevention valve: Is it worth it? I seem to recall from YouTube videos that there is a manual valve to control this.

Again, thanks for any or all feedback on these questions, and any other upgrades that your experience suggests. We are just beginning the buying process, and will probably inundate you all with more questions in the near future. Looking forward to joining the Oliver owner family.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Hi Fargoman, my wife and I just picked up our Oliver and I can help with a few questions.

1.  Ultrafabric is not really fabric we found...  it looks like some sort of cheap fake leather unfortunately.  We tried to trade it out immediately, but no luck (Oliver did try).  We will eventually just have them reupholstered with some real fabric - we don't care for any of the Oliver options anyhow (maybe just too picky).  One good thing is the Ultrafabric will be easier to clean / keep clean since nothing will soak in.

2.  We didn't get the KTT mattress upgrade because we didn't want to invest in anything before trying the standard mattress and then possibly getting a custom one made at some point.  I don't care for memory foam so much as my back gets sore on it so I probably wouldn't like the KTT.  However, I was PLEASANTLY SUPRISED with the stock cushions.  They were actually pretty darn good.  A bit firm for my wife, but I didn't have a back ache or anything like that sleeping 2 nights on it.

3.  I have the new Girard, powered awning.  I don't remember having a choice in the 2020 version so I can't help with this one.

4.  We did not get this.  The valve is so easy to push in or pull out manually I'm glad we didn't go with the auto option.  Just some additional electronics that could break in my opinion.

Best of luck picking everything out - no matter what you pick you will love it.

NCeagle

• Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Hi congrats on getting an Ollie!  I can't  speak to the fabric we got the standard fabric.  We ordered mattresses directly from Southern Mattress.  Very happy with the service.    They have Oliver dimensions and  put curves in the corners etc.  Pricing was lower than Oliver.  You can  save additional on shipping if they ship to a business address.  We did purchase the moisture prevention pads that go under the mattresses from Oliver.  You might be able to source something comparable elsewhere for less.  I would get moisture guards.  We didn't have a choice on awning brand.  I agree on the manual valve.  Manual is easy and less to break or service.  Good luck!   We like our 2019 model.  We purchased an inventory model so it was pretty loaded with options.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:50 PM, fargoman said:

1: How does Ultrafabric differ from the standard fabric?

2: Are you happy with the KTT mattress upgrades? Do they replace the standard seating cushions in the dining area, i.e, are they covered in the selected fabric?

3: Standard versus Pro awnings; order sheet says both are powered, but not clear about differences or advantages.

4: Automatic back flow prevention valve: Is it worth it? I seem to recall from YouTube videos that there is a manual valve to control this.

1. You can visualize the differences between the Ultrafabric and cloth fabric here: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/legacy-elite-2/standard-options/

We opted for the Ultrafabric. Here is more information on the upgraded fabric Oliver uses: https://www.ultrafabricsinc.com/brands/brisa

2. We passed on the KTT Upgrade.

3. Both the standard and pro awnings for 2021 are motorized Girard GG750 awnings. The difference between the pro option is an LED strip, wind sensor, and a treated polyester material (similar to sunbrella) is used instead of vinyl.

4. We passed on this option.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

One note about the awning options:

I contacted Girard to inquire about the different fabrics in the standard vs pro options that Oliver offers.  Since our Oliver will be residing in the PNW, I was concerned about the effect of damp weather on the Sunbrella fabric.  They confirmed my belief that the vinyl fabric is more suited to our moist environment.  We are willing to forego the wind sensor upgrade in favor of the vinyl awning that will be easier to keep mildew free.

I was told by my sales rep that both awnings have LED lights; if not, these are an easy add-on if you desire this feature.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

13 hours ago, fargoman said:

To clarify, the optional KTT mattresses are natural latex and not synthetic memory foam. They are finished with typical mattress ticking as shown within the optional upgrades  & add-ons webpage. This option only replaced the upholstered cushions in the main sleeping position(s), either floor plan. The standard foam upholstered cushions for the convertible side dinette remain.

We chose the KTT option because, to us,  they were more comfortable and provide better support.  Only you can make this determination however. Having slept on them for as long as four months straight, we have had  no regrets. They are significantly heavier than the standard cushions, which makes wrestling them for makeup or compartment access somewhat more difficult. 

Whichever solution you decide on, be sure to include the Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting upgrade. 

• Moderators

I don't know which Ultrafabric Brisa Oliver uses, but if in doubt, ask for a sample. The stamping /texture and sheen are different in various types. 

Pretty sure on our boat that we have "original," which is less leather looking, but very soft and breathable. Texture more similar to kid glove leather. Brisa isn't  "bulletproof, " but it's pretty nice in a Florida marine environment.  Not sticky to sit on in shorts, like old school Naugahyde. Cleans up well with water or water and soap and a microfiber cloth. More than decent wyzenbeek scale double rub count (durability). 

Brisa is commonly used in luxury yachts, where natural leather may crack and mildew.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 hours ago, Jairon said:

Interesting. I was told otherwise. May the battle of the best sales rep win 😛

Yours is probably correct . . . . we'll know very soon 😃

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We only ordered these upgrades on our Elite II, confection microwave, outside LP quick disconnects, powered door lock, and the bike rack, which we don't use and we now carry our ebikes in the pickup bed. Everything else is standard production items, and the white fiberglass counter top are beautiful and classy looking. We did not order any electronic upgrades and to date we haven't needed them, plus we don't Boondock and don't intend to. Would I have ordered it differently if I could start over, NO

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, Susan Huff said:

Yours is probably correct . . . . we'll know very soon 😃

We were told wind sensor and LED lights were the difference. No one mentioned the upgraded awning material... 

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

20 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

We were told wind sensor and LED lights were the difference. No one mentioned the upgraded awning material... 

No sensor can protect your awning from a huge wind gust, ask the guy who parked his $300,000 motorhome next to me in Colorado. 

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

20 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

The "pro" awning uses O'bravia instead of vinyl. I think the Giard MSRP price difference was something like $200. I was also told both awnings were black fabric but the GG750 product guide suggests the O'bravia fabric will be Khaki (assuming the awning is white).

I liked the idea of a polyester material and a retrofit would probably cost more than the upgrade price. Still, if I regret anything it will be the purchase of the pro option. The standard option is a great value assuming the awning isn't garbage 😁

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

I called Girard about these awnings.  The upgrade option (for which Oliver has quoted me $699), as Jairon noted, has the O'bravia polyester material.  The Girard rep describes this as a breathable material that will last at least a third longer, and probably twice as long,  as the vinyl material.  There is less chance for mold with the polyester if put away wet because, as breathable material, can dry more easily.  Both the vinyl and polyester comes with a black color (which seems odd because it would absorb sunlight much more than a lighter color -- I'll like it more if Oliver's version turns out to have a khaki color).  The light strip has a "daylight" color (as opposed to a "warm" light color), and is not dimmable.  

• Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

2 hours ago, Trainman said:

No sensor can protect your awning from a huge wind gust

Yes, on a recent camp trip  to the WA coast,  we met a great couple  from  SC who had their non-functional awning wrapped in duct tape due  to a wind gust that flipped  their  sensor-equipped awning back over  the roof  while they  were briefly away  from their  site somewhere in AZ or NM (the CG host had warned  them about the gusts  too...). 

• Sad 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Gusty winds are so common and unpredictable out West I hardly ever deploy my manual awning. It just shakes the trailer too much, especially since I prefer to not deploy any stabilizers unless required....  I have been thinking about removing it entirely. I tend to scoot my camp chairs around the trailer, following the shady patch. One time at Moab  (White Rim Road, boondocking) a violent dry microburst came down out of nowhere, sending up mini dust devils and rocking the truck violently. This was pre-Ollie, but I did have a small awning deployed from the truck roof rack. It basically disappeared, never to be seen again. ..... the tent stayed put, probably because I had anchored all the pegs with large rocks.  

https://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-microburst.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Awning lights. Don't see the need. Need light? Turn on the porch light. Need a little light? Turn on the outside courtesy lights. That whole string of lights might look good around a theater marquee, or at a Full Hook up Campground, but see no need at a more rural setting...

That much "canvas" on a sailboat will heel it over and move it along at a good clip. Based on what I have seen mine gets rolled in on a regular basis, and it is a manual. I have had slight "gust" come up and rock the Oliver during the night. Enough to get up and roll it in. Lesson learned. Some of the gust we have been in I can't imagine an automatic system rolling it in quick enough.

Edited by Mainiac
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Per the new Girard awnings -

Fact: to use the awning, you must turn on the switch inside the Oliver door. Then (for the pro model) you turn on the light or manage the awning(s) via the remote. The awning light can be used with the awning out or retracted.  You cannot control the awning light with the switch inside the Oliver.  You can only turn on the awning light bar with the remote.

Opinion: the awnings are beautiful! The light bar on the awnings is not quite as bright as the porch lights which can be a good thing. Also, the porch lights cannot be used individually per side. The awning lights  can be if you don’t want to light up the whole camp area. I do wish they were dimmable. 

• Thanks 1

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

12 hours ago, BlueHighways said:

Also, the porch lights cannot be used individually per side

you can no longer control one side of the porch lights from inside? Each individual light has never been individually control that we are aware of. What happens when the remote control is left at a campsite somewhere? Can you get a second remote? Wonder if that remote would shut off a neighbors bright light after they go inside?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mainiac said:

you can no longer control one side of the porch lights from inside? 

On my 2020, no.

Each individual light has never been individually control that we are aware of. What happens when the remote control is left at a campsite somewhere? Can you get a second remote?

I would think so but didn't ask.

Wonder if that remote would shut off a neighbors bright light after they go inside?

Great idea for the next rally!

See response embedded above.

• Like 1

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, LoriL said:

I read that a few of you got the outside LP quick connects, still trying to make a decision about this upgrade.  Do you find that you use them enough to justify the upgrade?

Thank you,

Lori 

I have never used mine. For my small gas grill, I bought everything needed to be able to use it but have found it more convenient to just buy the small bottles. Typically, being able to move the grill out of the wind would require too much hose to be practical. Also, since I camp mainly in cold temperatures, conservation of my furnace supply is more important. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum LoriL. I don't have the propane QD option, this is purely personal choice. If you like the idea of a portable gas grill or gas fire, or a tongue mounted propane generator, go for it. Be aware that Oliver does not recommend running a gennie while it is in the tray, even though many owners appear to do so, and I haven't heard of anybody dying from carbon monoxide poisoning yet.. . If you don't want to hook up extra propane stuff, it is a waste of money. An extra one can be easily added by a skilled owner in the future.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We used the quick connect a lot the first few years. Then, probably not at all for about 9 years. Quit carrying the grill.

Last summer, we had rain so often, we dug out the old grill and used it ar lunch or dinner almost every day. Cooking over a smokey campfire in the rain isn't much fun.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

With our camper van, we use a one gallon refillable propane tank and a decent length hose for either or our little Weber grill our two burner Coleman portable stove (used to have a Primus which was very  nice but  it eventually rusted, alas...) so have a few of the little disposable bottles in the  van too  for when we're using  both simultaneously. I suspect  we may just mostly keep  using  the portable bottles but I opted for the quick  connect option since we do prefer to cook outside when the weather is at all amenable to doing so, and if we find we're often cooking next to the Ollie I think we'll  likely just use these instead of the portable tanks/bottles. I think we may use the trailer's propane for running  a generator some as well but that  depends  on how fast our overall propane use actually drains the tanks. Net was that it seemed worth the  gamble to  buy this option, and I suspect it won't hurt a resale.

Edited by Jim_Oker

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709