Legacy Elite 2 buyer has questions about upgrades

Fargoman

1 hour ago, LoriL said:

I read that a few of you got the outside LP quick connects, still trying to make a decision about this upgrade.  Do you find that you use them enough to justify the upgrade?

I love the LP quick connect!!. We use it for our Camp Chef stove, our Weber BBQ, and for our Outland firebowl. We have a couple of 10-foot extension hoses, so we can easily place these devices at a desired location within the campsite. We have two 30-lb LP tanks, so we have never run out on a trip. 

We also have a Honda EU2000i generator modified for propane, so that we do not need to carry gasoline. It also runs of the LP quick connects. 

Decide on the quick connect option based on your anticipated camping needs. 

• Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LoriL said:

I read that a few of you got the outside LP quick connects, still trying to make a decision about this upgrade.  Do you find that you use them enough to justify the upgrade?

I use mine every time we camp.  I have a Weber Q1000 and removed the regulator so that all I have to do is plug into the quick connect and start grilling.  We’ve been doing this for 5 years.  BTW, I do clean my Weber after each camping trip and it still looks almost new and has performed well over the years.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I use a simple inline Tee connector with a 12ft hose that I pass through the acess hole when in use. Its a direct connection to the propane tank no need to modify grills etc with pressure regulators . Works well for us, I don’t feel the need to have a hookup in the rear. The 12ft hose goes a long way,   Maybe $60.00 at most. 

581C5F22-0372-432B-B6E2-6C83487B1652.jpeg

• Like 3

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

14 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I use mine every time we camp.  I have a Weber Q1000 and removed the regulator so that all I have to do is plug into the quick connect and start grilling.  We’ve been doing this for 5 years.  BTW, I do clean my Weber after each camping trip and it still looks almost new and has performed well over the years.  Mike

I agree - the Webber is one of my most used accessories - I now line it with HD aluminum foil - makes clean up very easy - I reline only when it gets pretty  - cruddy.  The dual propane ports - second only to the solar -  on options. 

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I contacted Girard to inquire about the different fabrics in the standard vs pro options that Oliver offers.  Since our Oliver will be residing in the PNW, I was concerned about the effect of damp weather on the Sunbrella fabric.  They confirmed my belief that the vinyl fabric is more suited to our moist environment.  We are willing to forego the wind sensor upgrade in favor of the vinyl awning that will be easier to keep mildew free.

Susan, like you, I'm interested in a mildew-free awning (while we live in a more arid climate, we spend a fair amount of time in the moister northwest).   I'm wondering if you recall precisely why Girard suggested that the vinyl material would be more mildew resistant, or perhaps the vinyl is better at shielding rain?  I would prefer the lower cost of the standard awning, but I (perhaps mistakenly) understood from a Girard representative that the Sunbrella fabric is better in moist areas, because it is breathable and can dry out.  Thoughts?  From anyone?  

Thanks,

Fritz

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

Susan, like you, I'm interested in a mildew-free awning (while we live in a more arid climate, we spend a fair amount of time in the moister northwest).   I'm wondering if you recall precisely why Girard suggested that the vinyl material would be more mildew resistant, or perhaps the vinyl is better at shielding rain?  I would prefer the lower cost of the standard awning, but I (perhaps mistakenly) understood from a Girard representative that the Sunbrella fabric is better in moist areas, because it is breathable and can dry out.  Thoughts?  From anyone?  

Thanks,

Fritz

"Sunbrella is breathable and can dry out" might apply to rain exposure followed by arid climate.  For the Pacific NW rainforest type climate, I don't see how this would be favorable.  On the other hand, the vinyl should retain less water and, in my opinion, be easier to clean.

We chose the standard awning, but more for the fact that we didn't want the wind-sensing feature.  The remote control of the Pro awning would be nice, but we like to keep things as simple as possible.  Had the manual awning still been standard we probably would have chosen it, but for the Dometic branding.  All in all, we just don't use an awning that much.

Not sure I answered your question.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Fritz - 

I'm no fabric expert by any means however here are my thoughts on the subject:

The vinyl does not "breathe" while the "sunbrella" does breathe.  So, the sunbrella will (in most situations) dry more quickly versus the vinyl.  However, if both are left in the rolled position then neither can dry.  In both, if they are not cleaned they will be more likely to develop mold/mildew issues due to the dirt.  However, I'd bet that since the sunbrella has more surface area per square inch as compared to the vinyl - this is how sunbrella breathes by allowing air to circulate totally around each individual thread versus the vinyl that only allows air (and all other things like water) to circulate on the top and bottom of each thread.  

If this theory is true then vinyl should absolutely the choice in almost any circumstance.  But, what happens when that vinyl coating becomes scratched or worn?  What about colder weather when the vinyl is stiffer and could crack - I'm not even thinking winter camping here but I am very familiar with mountain camping where night temps are down in the high 20's while day temps are in the high 80's.  All of these issues with vinyl lead to the internal structure of the "fabric" being exposed to and potentially trap both dirt and moisture which, in turn, leads to not only cosmetic issues but the very issues of mold/mildew that were being avoided in the first place.

I would think that as long as each material was basically new then the vinyl would be better at deflecting rain.  But, the clock is ticking on that advantage and in the longer run sunbrella would produce a better average result.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

In regards to the awning, Is it possible to connect a line to the top of each awning outrigger and run the line to a peg driven in the ground like one does with a tent?

Would that help stablize the awning in small wind guests?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

I have the old style awning and it has "support" legs as an integral part of the awning.  Therefore, I have no problem with either running lines or an optional sun screen much like you are talking about.  But, in the case of the "new" awnings that do not have these "legs" then I would assume that you will need to have some sort  of support poles before running lines to the ground - see recent pics of these types of sun screens and what one owner did to use the sun screen with his new style awning.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

16 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Fritz - 

I'm no fabric expert by any means however here are my thoughts on the subject:

The vinyl does not "breathe" while the "sunbrella" does breathe.  So, the sunbrella will (in most situations) dry more quickly versus the vinyl.  However, if both are left in the rolled position then neither can dry.  In both, if they are not cleaned they will be more likely to develop mold/mildew issues due to the dirt.  However, I'd bet that since the sunbrella has more surface area per square inch as compared to the vinyl - this is how sunbrella breathes by allowing air to circulate totally around each individual thread versus the vinyl that only allows air (and all other things like water) to circulate on the top and bottom of each thread.  

If this theory is true then vinyl should absolutely the choice in almost any circumstance.  But, what happens when that vinyl coating becomes scratched or worn?  What about colder weather when the vinyl is stiffer and could crack - I'm not even thinking winter camping here but I am very familiar with mountain camping where night temps are down in the high 20's while day temps are in the high 80's.  All of these issues with vinyl lead to the internal structure of the "fabric" being exposed to and potentially trap both dirt and moisture which, in turn, leads to not only cosmetic issues but the very issues of mold/mildew that were being avoided in the first place.

I would think that as long as each material was basically new then the vinyl would be better at deflecting rain.  But, the clock is ticking on that advantage and in the longer run sunbrella would produce a better average result.

Bill

Great observations . . . . . My opinion: awnings are a bother.  Personally, I'd like to see an awning delete option.  I only say this because we don't do a lot of extreme heat camping, nor do we spend a lot of daytime at the campsite.  I know others feel differently.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Yours is probably correct . . . . we'll know very soon 😃

Standard Girard awning has the LED light strip!

Ray and Susan Huff