add-a-room/enclosures?

nrvale0

Anybody bothered with an add-a-room/enclosure with their Elite II? Oddly enough, now that we are getting into colder weather I'm interested in enclosing the area just outside the door. You think it would make more sense to do so in the Summer but my daughter and I try to sit outside when we eat and it'd be nice to enclose that area and maybe even figure out a way to get some heat out there so we aren't forced inside completely.

Thx

• Moderators

I remember mountainborn building some kind of a mudroom/outdoor enclosure when they work camped in snow country. Very helpful.

Don't remember if it was addaroom. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I don't usually chime in but I'll give one suggestion we use. Easy to put up and down is a Clam with the side panels and put a propane fire pit in the middle you can be in the windiest, rainiest, coldest temps and sit pretty. we have had 6 or seven people sit around the fire pit for hours so something to think about. the newer one with the flaps on top keep the heat in better as well. Happy travels. Thanks Gary

IMG_5620.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

The clam is so quick to set up.  We like ours.  Some models hehe optional floors.  Probably not a great idea if you're using a fire pit!!!!  Check their website I believe they also make some versions for Cold weather ice fishing!! I think they may have a small square one.

• Moderators

Yes, Clam actually started off manufacturing ice fishing huts.  I have the small square one and it is great for up to two people.  Four can fit but you better know each other fairly well since your knees will be touching - not great for social distancing.  However, the small four sided one can fit inside the Elite II closet.

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Oh, I totally forgot about their thermal huts. That's actually a great idea. Running outside with a tape measure right now to get the distance between the edge of the door and the vent for the water heater...

Edited by nrvale0

We have the (5) sided clam and really it’s quick set up and take down. I recommend the optional side panels for privacy or blocking wind or sun.

B21EBA45-CC61-4DDE-BC7A-7A01DF46C0CE.jpeg

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I have the Pavilion model by Clam.  It is the largest they offer, with full fabric side walls that roll up for ventilation.  It is fast and easy for 1 person to set up/take down, albeit a little heavy for this one at +/-50 pounds. The door opening is huge, and I’ve used our propane fire pit in it without any issues.

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

Thanks, folks. I already have a Clam. Like I said, I use it as a motorcycle garage. Even with the sides (which I also have) it would be too cold/drafty in the winter. Also, most of them are not big enough or are just barely big enough to fit around a table.

After someone reminded me that Clam makes thermal hubs for ice fishing and so I went down the trail for a bit and I'm seriously considering an Eskimo Outbreak because of the large door which goes all the way to the ground:

https://geteskimo.com/products/outbreak-650xd

This Vortex would be another option except that like most of the thermal hubs it uses a door configuration which is not very kid + motorcycle compatible:

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/vortex-monster-lodge-hub/

Relative to the prices I've seen for "California rooms" which attach/supplement an awning, the prices on the thermal hubs is not so crazy. 

Probably the bigggest disadvantage of the thermal huts is they don't have much in the way of windows but that's to be expected given their intended use-case. 

40650_2000x.jpg

vortex-monster-lodge-v2.jpg

Edited by nrvale0
  • Like 1