Is my thermostat working correctly

Trainman

On our 2019 Elite II with the Dometic Thermostat it seams that it just doesn't operate properly. With it set at 65 degrees on heat it will cycle and works somewhat ok, but when we raise it to say 68-70 it just doesn't want to cycle and it runs all the time. The heat coming out of the vents does seem plenty warn, but the trailer just doesn't seen to be getting warn enough for it to cycle correctly. The weather outside was around 45-50 degrees, so being an Oliver that should be no problem heating the inside of the trailer at that temputures. So what I am asking is what should I look for to correct this heat problem. The heater should run us out with no more area that it has to heat. We came from a Casita that running the heater would run you out in 5 mins. of it being turned on. Last question is, what would be the correct setting on the thermostat, ie., where do you set your for best operation in cooler weather so your heat will cycle and be comfortable inside.  

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

When we have shore power we run a small electric heater.  If it is below freezing we run the furnace too to keep the plumbing warm.  If we have no shore power we set the furnace at 55 (to save battery) at night and 68 during the day. I haven’t cranked it up to run us out,... it seems to cycle on/off correctly.  We do keep at least one of the roof vents open, usually the bathroom, but sometimes the Maxfan too if it’s not too cold.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

OK, this may be a silly question, are all your warm air registers fully open? They have loovers to adjust/ balance airflow. You can try removing one or more completely, pry gently with a flat screwdriver and it will pop free. Remove the adjustable part completely if needed. If you still aren’t getting enough warm air you have a duct or furnace problem. Open the hatch above the furnace and check your duct work to make sure all visible parts look OK, not disconnected or crushed. You can even remove one of the ducts at the furnace fan housing, see how much airflow you have there. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

My air conditioner will run at the same time as the heater if I do not set the cool temperature to about 90°.  I never understood why, I just figured out a way to make it work and moved on to the next thing.

I learned some new things about the thermostat from Victor's post last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmcSvh6xG2I&feature=emb_rel_end

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

After reading all the post I think I will do a few things that might help. It does look like the thermostat is working correctly, or as good as it's going to work. I did watch several YouTube videos on the Dometic Thermostat and did learn more about it an how it works, I would suggest that you watch them on operation, I found out things I didn't know. I will take John D advise and remove the baffles in the vents, I can see no real use for them and I will carry our small electric heater with us and use it as Mike and Carol do. I did try the heat strip in the a/c unit, but I would rather not have all that noise, but it works and will keep the chill off. I would say that the furnace does use a lot of propane and the electric small heater would be the better way to go. Thanks everyone.

trainman 

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.