Snow Chains on Elite 1 - In Case It Snows Around Deliv Day in TN

Moonlight Mile

Hi all,

Saw the big thread on Snow Chains. Still wondering, if my Tow Vehicle is a Ram 1500 4x4, and I arrive (or try to) in Hohenwald in Jan 2021 to pick up Elite 1, and it either has snowed or will snow, should I have chains for the Elite 1? If so, link to which ones?

For that matter, would I need chains on the Ram truck (Rebel with non-snow-tires that came with it)?

I lived at 8000 ft in the mts once where it snowed a lot and often, and had a little (as in very small and light, base model, NON 4x4) Mazda B2000 pickup and used chains and got to where I could put ‘em on in my sleep, no biggie. But I have never towed a trailer in snow conditions much less an Elite 1.

Will check the manual for the Ram 1500 4x4 Rebel re: chains, but thought I would ask here re: chains for a 2021 Elite 1 whether the Rebel “requires” chains or not. I know there are many factors (how much snow, where you’re “going” in the snow conditions, on and on). Just thought I’d ask “generally” here first. Can also call my OTT sales rep about this — still time to prep. Thanks.

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

While Hohenwald does get snow in January and it can be fairly cold there too, with average snowfall of only one inch and average low temperature of 25.9 degrees it is not likely that you will need chains.  Even if it does snow, I'd simply hunker down for a day of so and not travel.  This is due to the fact that not only is it extremely likely the roads will be cleared but since they do not experience very much snow in this area, the drivers are simply not accustomed to driving in it.

Bill 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

It does snow,  occasionally,  around Hohenwald  .

Not likely for your pickup time.

Not even sure if chains would be allowed .  Chains, in the us, are primarily required in high elevation/ mountain passes.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

If you'll be crossing high  passes (including  on  the major interstates that cross  the western mountain ranges) in winter then you'd  certainly want them for  both TV and trailer. Kind of  depends  on where you'll be  going I think (and  willingness  to  hunker  down for a few days  if needed to let roads get better).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

1 hour ago, Jim_Oker said:

If you'll be crossing high  passes (including  on  the major interstates that cross  the western mountain ranges) in winter then you'd  certainly want them for  both TV and trailer. Kind of  depends  on where you'll be  going I think (and  willingness  to  hunker  down for a few days  if needed to let roads get better).

@SherMica I would definitely get chains; you'll need them to get back to the PNW ( I think that's where you're from).  

We have chains for both our F350 4WD and the Elite II.  We purchased these chains from Les Schwab; you can return them for a full refund if not used.

Traveling in any of the Oregon mountains and even lower elevation passes on I-5, you will most always see the "Carry Chains" signs posted, meaning you must have chains, regardless of road conditions.  This is the law in Oregon pretty much from November through April.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

6 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

@SherMica I would definitely get chains; you'll need them to get back to the PNW ( I think that's where you're from).  

We have chains for both our F350 4WD and the Elite II.  We purchased these chains from Les Schwab; you can return them for a full refund if not used.

Traveling in any of the Oregon mountains and even lower elevation passes on I-5, you will most always see the "Carry Chains" signs posted, meaning you must have chains, regardless of road conditions.  This is the law in Oregon pretty much from November through April.

No I am in SE VA and making a beeline for Hohenwald. Unless there is a blizzard warning it sounds like I would be fine without chains on Elite 1 and Ram 4x4. Heh. I don’t plan on going any further north than Hohenwald for delivery “week,” will make my way a bit south. Used to the 1-2” snows in states where they don’t know how to drive in snow (no offense intended to ANYONE, disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer), and usually let them clear the roads etc. in such places to avoid potential unplanned “vehicular social distancing violation-interactions” (heh, “acky-dents,” e.g.). 

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

12 hours ago, topgun2 said:

While Hohenwald does get snow in January and it can be fairly cold there too, with average snowfall of only one inch and average low temperature of 25.9 degrees it is not likely that you will need chains.  Even if it does snow, I'd simply hunker down for a day of so and not travel.  This is due to the fact that not only is it extremely likely the roads will be cleared but since they do not experience very much snow in this area, the drivers are simply not accustomed to driving in it.

Bill 

“The drivers are simply not accustomed . . . “ Yep. 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

In 20  years we have only had a blizzard one time, it lasted about 10 minutes. Snow in Middle TN - while not rare  -doesn't last long- a few days at best.  On the roadway - maybe a few hours  - a day. A bigger worry is ice on the roadway. 

It has been my experience - bad drivers are everywhere. TN is one of the top destinations for people migration in the US. About 700,000 left CA last year, I know many that settled in Mid TN, along with a few Arizonians, New Yorkers, and so on.  A melting pot to be sure. 

The States That Residents Are Leaving And The Ones They Are Moving To (forbes.com)

Along with missing teeth, inbreeding, and perhaps driving in snow, the "south" has left behind the cliché it once represented.   Nashville - its a badge of honor to claim originality  - FWIW. 

No - you will not need snow chains - bring a smile, a good disposition, - you'll be fine - ,

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

4 hours ago, SherMica said:

No I am in SE VA and making a beeline for Hohenwald. Unless there is a blizzard warning it sounds like I would be fine without chains on Elite 1 and Ram 4x4. Heh. I don’t plan on going any further north than Hohenwald for delivery “week,” will make my way a bit south. Used to the 1-2” snows in states where they don’t know how to drive in snow (no offense intended to ANYONE, disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer), and usually let them clear the roads etc. in such places to avoid potential unplanned “vehicular social distancing violation-interactions” (heh, “acky-dents,” e.g.). 

Lucky you, living nearby.  Our trip home will be at least 8 days.

Isn't this fun??!!!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg