Reverse Wire Under Tire Cover?

Jairon

I'm looking at backup camera options and I noticed a pretty large wiring bundle running to what I'm guessing is a light for the license plate. Does anyone know if there is a reverse light wire also grouped into that bundle?

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

I was going to look for the diagram in the 2020 Owners Manual. They no longer include ANY electrical diagrams. This is from 2019, no wires at the spare tire other than a parking light and ground.

E16A2E32-BE74-40AF-8568-C6F6A3A0D4BC.thumb.png.f8de87986ce1c3404f2a8cf063a75003.png

IMHO you should wire a camera thought it’s own switch, not the reverse circuit. It is better that way for a number of reasons.

Has anyone else noticed the missing section in the manual?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks, I didn't think to check the 2019 after looking through the 2020 manual! Having the camera kick on when going into reverse seems like a nice perk but I'm willing to change my mind! 😃

I know of a few electrical changes that happened for 2020 and a couple more for 2021. Hopefully the changes are final and they will update the new manual and circle back to updating 2020.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderators

JD is correct about a nice separate circuit for that camera.  However, since these camera's don't draw a bunch of electricity, it would be fairly simple to splice a positive wire into either one of the backup lights - obviously they already come on when you select reverse.  Make sure that you put a fuse in that positive line.  Of course another thought is to wire the camera such that it has a "on-off" switch and is always "on" when you are going down the road.  That way you can see if someone is tailgating you prior to changing lanes.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Of course another thought is to wire the camera such that it has a "on-off" switch and is always "on" when you are going down the road.  That way you can see if someone is tailgating you prior to changing lanes.

I'll be using the new GPS for the camera display thanks to Mossemi 😁 The camera is the Garmin BC35 which is pretty crappy. It is basally a tree avoidance camera and not much more. I can't figure out why Garmin can't scrape together enough R&D capital for a camera that isn't a decade old but the convenience factor is there - one screen.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

5 hours ago, Jairon said:

I can't figure out why Garmin can't scrape together enough R&D capital for a camera that isn't a decade old but the convince factor is there - one screen.

I haven't looked any further into it than noticing this in their  marketing copy "Pair RV 890 with our BC™ 35 wireless backup cameras (sold separately) or compatible third-party wired cameras to help you can see what’s behind you."

So what I wonder  is, and haven't found in a fairly  quick  hunt, is what constitutes a "compatible third party wired camera" and for  instance could you  use a Rear View Systems camera (excellent IME and used by a lot  of fleet vehicles fwiw)? 

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

14 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

So what I wonder  is, and haven't found in a fairly  quick  hunt, is what constitutes a "compatible third party wired camera" and for  instance could you  use a Rear View Systems camera (excellent IME and used by a lot  of fleet vehicles fwiw)? 

The 890 has a mount with a video input: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12982-02

I couldn't find the manual so I'm not sure what type of input it actually is and what it might be compatible with.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

7 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

I haven't looked any further into it than noticing this in their  marketing copy "Pair RV 890 with our BC™ 35 wireless backup cameras (sold separately) or compatible third-party wired cameras to help you can see what’s behind you."

While on the subject, does anyone have the rear view option that comes with the trailer.  We went that way and, as we have not yet done our pick up, I'm wondering if it is wired into the back up lights or is always on?  Hoping it's the latter.

Gerry

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

We have the cam option. But, it is the 2017 version. Maybe it has changed. We put the truck into reverse and the monitor come on, automatically. The real nice piece is I can reach over and turn it on or off while going down the Interstate. Comes in handy while passing a monster fifth wheel or eighteen wheeler. Turn it on and can see when to pull back in. Also can turn it on and can see if I have someone tailgating back there. We usually turn it off while traveling, as it can become a distraction.

I am not familiar with the BC35 wireless camera, but I would worry a lot about signal loss, especially if you have a long pickup with lots of gear like generator, tools and bikes crammed in the bed. A wired one going to a transmitter near the front of the trailer up HIGH works fine, from my experience. If you do put a wireless one in the Ollie, do mount it up high so it transmits through fiberglass rather than dense objects like your spare wheel, truck tailgate and stuff piled in the truck bed.... try for direct line of sight through your TV back window. Do NOT drill any holes until you have found a good location by trial and error.  I would rather have a high quality image and slow jerky frame rate than what the current cameras offer...😠

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1973-how-to-install-a-garmin-bc-30-backup-camera/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, GAP said:

While on the subject, does anyone have the rear view option that comes with the trailer.  We went that way and, as we have not yet done our pick up, I'm wondering if it is wired into the back up lights or is always on?  Hoping it's the latter.

Gerry

My 2017 LE2 has a switch inside the door which turns the rear camera on/off.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I've never had a BU camera on my trailer, my Garmin GPS has BU input, but the Garmin BC35 from all I've seen on YouTube just didn't rate well, maybe it has improved over the past year, or two. I just wind all the windows down and the wife stands at the trailers rear and jumps up and down if I need to stop. 

trainman

• Haha 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:30 AM, GAP said:

Gerry

Our 2020 LEII has the factory installed rear camera option.  Yes, there is a switch on the main panel inside the entry door that turns on the power to the camera mounted on the rear of the trailer.  Once it's powered and paired to the receiver/monitor in your tow vehicle, the video provided by the camera remains on at all times. There are no connections to the tow vehicle (like a reverse switch), other than the 12 volt power needed by the monitor.

Edited by katanapilot
corrected misspelling
  • Like 1

I installed the factory back up camera after delivery,  It is pre wired on the 2019 Oliver.  The switch panel has a blank spot you’ll need a switch,  It is powered through the trailer it is not wired to the reverse lights, For the unit to work the main switch must be on before traveling this will power the camera. The monitor will power up were ever you plug into 12v source, the tv or inside the trailer. Easy install,  in my opinion its the best setup. You can use the camera any time hooked up to tv or not, instead of having to put the tv in reverse only, you just need to remember to switch the unit on before heading out, 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Thanks folks.  That is the answer I was hoping for.  Aside from monitoring traffic behind the trailer, another benefit could be as a security camera while parked.  Always a good thing.  Would some day like to add a forward facing camera as well.

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

4 hours ago, GAP said:

Thanks folks.  That is the answer I was hoping for.  Aside from monitoring traffic behind the trailer, another benefit could be as a security camera while parked.  Always a good thing.  Would some day like to add a forward facing camera as well.

GAP  you might ask Jason in service. The electric  diagram shows the front camera. I’m not sure if it is also pre wired on the trailer like the rear.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

My 2017 LE2 has factory wiring for a front camera because it was an option available at that time.  I am not sure which years it was offered.  If you open the port hole in the upper cabinet above the microwave you will find a rats nest of wiring for the panel at the front door.  I found the front camera wiring labeled and taped to the wall above the switch panel.  The wires are running towards the front of the trailer between the ceiling and the roof.

And speaking of the rats nest, I like it because it makes finding and pulling wires a little easier for me.  

Mossey

Edited by mossemi

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”