Garmin 890 and F-150 install

topgun2

I'll be watching for that...I'd not heard of that issue but I could see how that may happen if the USB charger is using a switcher supply inside.
Some good ground shielding on the bottom of the tray and a choke on the ground line could mitigate that if it happens.
If I have that issue I'll report back.

CS

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Glad to here no problems.  I guess that's what happens when I google too much!  I recall the saying, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see", maybe an addendum is needed, "and only 0.2% of what comes up in Google searches".  Thanks again for all ya'lls hard work.

Jim

Dash equipment and F150 TPMS Intermittent Errors

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

This video explains the issue of interference between after market accessories and the TPMS systems.

Before I retired, I worked for 40 years in a Test Equiment and Solutions business that provider Radio Frequency monitoring  and testing systems to customers doing EMI and RFI emissions tests.  (Like the FCC , and almost all radio manufacturers. 

If the USB device I installed causes issues, I’ll yank it out and take it back to my  Local Office and run an RFI test and let you all see the results. 

CS

• Like 2

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Just another reason that I should not buy "cheap" stuff.

For me that (often) includes any manufacturer that uses fractured English in their product description, and any manufacturer that has a name that makes me laugh, or that I cannot pronounce: Wishinkle, AINOPE, Cluvox, AUKEY, Mongoora, TIKALONG, Jelly Comb (seriously???).... These are taken from a single page of Amazon USB chargers. Nope, no way for me,  unless I cannot find a suitable mainstream brand like Anker. Sometimes you just have to buy cheap junk and hope you did not make a big mistake....

1525B46D-E0DF-4395-B006-85DA1139B77F.thumb.jpeg.9c0c8f3550df03ce9d2f9d8ed2d63ca2.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I hate to be the "Buzz Kill" here;

When mounting add-ons to the Dash area of the TV, are "We All" being mindful of Air-Bag deployment?

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

11 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

I hate to be the "Buzz Kill" here;

When mounting add-ons to the Dash area of the TV, are "We All" being mindful of Air-Bag deployment?

It is always smart to keep them in mind, but OTH I have never heard of any vehicle that had a bag located close to the center....

Reflections interfering with the driver’s vision is my biggest gripe, especially at night... I will shut down a gps or TPMS monitor completely (and turn down the dash lighting), if necessary when conditions are challenging.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

I don't know about "We All", but, I did consider that issue.  Certainly it would be possible to mount an item from the Builtright rack that could extend over into the area of airbag deployment near the passenger side but this item would need to be rather large and the extension arm off the rack would need to be fairly long.  All I keep over in that area is either a cell phone or a TPMS monitor - both of which mount almost directly on the rack and are small.  See my pictures near the beginning of this thread.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for the Air Bag tip.  I think it's good to consider.
In our case we are only mounting like Topgun2 did on the driver side.

By the way, I've driven about 150 miles now with no interference issues from the installation of the USB charger port into that dash tray.  

Craig

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 1/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, topgun2 said:

The next issue was that the first extension cable worked with no issues - each cable is 6.5 feet long and I bought three since I could not find a longer single cable in the necessary 6 pin design.  But, when I plugged in the second cable, the system no longer worked.  I tested for power - good.  I tested for tight connection and/or bent connector pins - also all good.  So, I went back to the original single cable arrangement and all again worked as it should.  Reinstalled that second cable again and it didn't work.  I was perplexed and didn't have an easy way to test the individual pins on the end of the second cable, so, I replaced that second cable with what was supposed to be the third cable.  Walla, all works again.  Obviously, that second cable is faulty and a new replacement is being sent.

A couple of days ago I finally received a replacement extension cable and 5 new fuses.  Even though I've got a fair amount of THESE, I didn't have any of the 1/2 amp fast blow fuses that Garmin uses.

Again I went down to the workshop in order to "bench test" just to make sure that all worked as it should.  Unfortunately, when I plugged in the "new" second extension cable it worked at first but the signal would be lost thereby cutting out the picture on the Garmin 890.  Also, unfortunately I do not have the equipment, time nor patience to accurately test for the appropriate power that is or is not being transmitted through some 16 feet of total cable.  However, since this unit only takes a 1/2 amp fuse and the specifications provided by Garmin show that the camera plus transmitter have a total current usage of only 150 mA at 12 Vdc, I seriously suspect that the reason for the outage is due to voltage drop.

So, my current plan is to mount the camera in the usual place above the Oliver third light on the roof.  Then I will drill a hole and feed the camera cable into the attic, run the cable over into the curbside cubbies and then towards the kitchen cubbies via the single extension cable and WiFi transmitter.  Once out of cable I will get power from the "camera" switch by the door that I had installed during my build that also powers the camera I have in my spare tire cover.  The WiFi transmitter will be secured to the top of the inside of the kitchen cubbie.  Given that Garmin claims WiFi transmission of at least 45 feet, there should be little problem.  But, if there is an issue I'll simply move the transmitter to a spot where I can get through the "foil" insulation.

Pictures will be posted when I actually do the install which will not be until the weather gets a bit warmer (not that I'm complaining about the high temp of 48 degrees we had today while much of the nation is well below that).

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to install the BuiltRight mounting bracket on our F250 dash today so we could mount our 890RV gps. We decided to go with a little different approach on mounting location after mocking up a few different locations. We settled on dead center. Surprisingly there is no line of sight hinderance for me in this location due to the cab height. The screen is very accessible and we are really happy with the location. After a drive around our neighborhood and secondary roads I can report a solid mount and no screen bounce. Still have room for the Ollie rear view cam on the w/s. 

vid- 

A few photos....

13623195-4107-4864-B42A-EF1488497693.jpeg

8BF7525B-529F-4B1A-80D4-99D781FE0059.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

For anyone that now owns an 890 -

Garmin has released a system update and it takes about 10 minutes to complete the install.  

Bill

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

For anyone that now owns an 890 -

Garmin has released a system update and it takes about 10 minutes to complete the install.  

Bill

Bill,

Thank you, I appreciate the heads up. Done!

David

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, Patriot said:

Bill,

Thank you, I appreciate the heads up. Done!

David

Great & Thank You.

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
On 1/26/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jim and Frances said:

Quick question...have you noticed any problems with your Ford TPMS?  I have heard reports of the added USB/12V plugs in this area causing problems with Ford's TPMS. 

In looking over this entire thread due to a recent thread concerning the Garmin rearview camera connected to the Garmin 890, I stumbled across this question and thought that I'd give an update.

Until this past summer I had no problem at all with my onboard Ford TPMS for my 2017 F-150.  Unfortunately, in August I started getting random dashboard alerts that there was a TPMS "malfunction" with my front passenger side wheel.  Several times I checked my tire pressures and each time the pressures were correct (i.e. they didn't change at all!).  I did remember this thread and thought about the placement of the Garmin (plus my InReach mini and/or sometimes a cell phone) as possibly being a contributing factor.  Finally, when I recently took the truck into the dealer for an oil change I asked the service tech to rotate the tires and have a look at that TPMS in the front left closely due to this random fault.

Bottom line is that there was a small nail in the thread of the tire that was not long enough to puncture the tire.  According to the tech - since this nail was relatively close to where the TPMS is mounted in the tire, the nail was interfering with the data transmission from the tire to the receiving unit inside the truck.  I have to admit that I was a bit suspect of this explanation but its now been over a month since and there have been no further TPMS "malfunctions" and the tire pressure continue to remain stable.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 4:43 AM, topgun2 said:

All I keep over in that area is either a cell phone or a TPMS monitor

Great info Bill. 

Question about your cell phone connection.  In my 2019 F-150 I'll be following the plan of this thread.  I use an I-Phone that "talks" via an apple cord through the Ford USP port to the Sync 3.   This allows the onboard Ford navigation systems and other programs to operate and also keeps the I-phone charged.    

Assuming I tap the cigarette lighter (vs. plugging the I-phone cord into the F-150 USB slot), would that negate use of the Sync 3 Nav and other programs that rely on the iphone data?  

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Be aware that there was a change to the size of the dash tray starting with the 2021 model year of the F150.  The Builtright rack from previous years does not fit the new tray.  Builtright did not know this at the time I ordered my rack for my 2021 F150 but exchanged the old style rack for a new one which they have since built for the newer trucks.  The back-up plate Builtright made for the new rack also did not fit but I was able to Bubba up a fix.

Result, our 7" Garmin Overlander now hangs from the long arm over the front of the dash, lowering the screen and moving the GPS out of the windshield.  A very nice system once you get it sorted out.

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Be aware that there was a change to the size of the dash tray starting with the 2021 model year of the F150.

Certainly correct and I will shortly have one of the "old style" BuiltRight dash mounts for sale at 1/2 the original cost if anyone needs/wants one for an older F-150.

12 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Assuming I tap the cigarette lighter (vs. plugging the I-phone cord into the F-150 USB slot), would that negate use of the Sync 3 Nav and other programs that rely on the iphone data?  

Are you sure your Iphone isn't "talking to the Ford via Bluetooth versus hardwire?

If it is communicating via hardwire then plugging into the 12 volt outlet will give you nothing besides power since there is no data transmission via that 12 volt socket.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Are you sure your iPhone isn't "talking to the Ford via Bluetooth versus hardwire?

For many apps (Such as connection for a telephone call), the iPhone uses Bluetooth.  However, for navigation mine has to be plugged in to the truck USB port.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I will shortly have one of the "old style" BuiltRight dash mounts for sale at 1/2 the original cost if anyone needs/wants one for an older F-150.

I would love to purchase your unit.  Please PM if it is still available.

GJ