Towing with Tesla Model X?

Starshine

SeaDawg your article above on the 2017 RPod180 is a great example of what we are planning to do with our Oliver. For 45 days, this couple towed 7,700 miles across the southeastern U.S. using a Model X and a travel trailer. They were happy with their 45 days round trip. 

I must admit the RPOD180 is like the Casita both having a small TW, UBW, and GVWR. Plus the 2 of them like the Oliver are aerodynamically built. So our experience will require more charging but like the other Model X owners we are not bothered by the extra time charging. Unlike them, we charge for free so why we pay for breakfast, lunch or dinner, our Tesla eats free. A note, even if we paid it is not very expensive.

Loved the article. Impressed with their mileage considering their Tesla has a 295 range and they were getting a cut of 45 to 60% depending on hills and wind. We figure on the 60%. Also, like us their average speed when towing is 55 to 60. East coast laws require towing vehicles to drive slower and most of our highways and parkways have lower speed limits anyway. Out west it is harder to go 60 when the speed limit is 70 but I worry about safety towing that fast not only for me but other people too.

We don't anticipate any problems with the hitch or the brake controller. Like the Oliver Forum, Tesla Forum has plenty of info on how to install their brake controller and  working with hitching a trailer.

Thanks for the sunny outlook. 

SeaDawg your article above on the 2017 RPod180 is a great example of what we are planning to do with our Oliver. For 45 days, this couple towed 7,700 miles across the southeastern U.S. using a Model X and a travel trailer. They were happy with their 45 days round trip. 

I must admit the RPOD180 is like the Casita both having a small TW, UBW, and GVWR. Plus the 2 of them like the Oliver are aerodynamically built. So our experience will require more charging but like the other Model X owners we are not bothered by the extra time charging. Unlike them, we charge for free so why we pay for breakfast, lunch or dinner, our Tesla eats free. A note, even if we paid it is not very expensive.

Loved the article. Impressed with their mileage considering their Tesla has a 295 range and they were getting a cut of 45 to 60% depending on hills and wind. We figure on the 60%. Also, like us their average speed when towing is 55 to 60. East coast laws require towing vehicles to drive slower and most of our highways and parkways have lower speed limits anyway. Out west it is harder to go 60 when the speed limit is 70 but I worry about safety towing that fast not only for me but other people too.

We don't anticipate any problems with the hitch or the brake controller. Like the Oliver Forum, Tesla Forum has plenty of info on how to install their brake controller and  working with hitching a trailer.

Thanks for the sunny outlook. 

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

The Tesla receiver is a wonder, like the rest of the car. It is plug and play into the frame, so you can just store it away when not in use. I never knew that. Do they rattle?

C0606E7E-5C2E-4D2B-91A9-58ED5B85FB09.jpeg.39053a3cc6615f6593f16e3ebde5f3d7.jpeg

0B43B506-F43F-40D0-89FB-707A3C11235C.thumb.jpeg.6d330812c432ad5a2e30e1b73f9cd4f0.jpeg

https://www.teslarati.com/how-to-install-tesla-model-x-hitch/

However I am 99.5% ignorant about these cars, so this is no real surprise. I would not want to smash it hard onto a concrete driveway apron, but OTH the rear overhang is so short that may not be a problem, unlike, for example, a Ford Flex.

John Davies

Spokane WA

No problem with our hitch receiver; not even rattling. We do have to add the electronic brake controller around $500. Wow, like that electric bike!

• Moderators

Starshine, since we own one of the very first Oliver Elites, solar wasn't a published option when we bought ours. We towed ours 6 months and probably 10k miles before my husband came up with  a sidemount design for two 100 watt fixed panels. Oliver kindly accommodated us, and built some beautiful saddle brackets that hug the curve of the hull. And did our initial install, 6 months after we picked up the trailer. It opened up new worlds for us. 

We noticed only a negligible difference in mpg with our truck.

On the sailboat, we didn't have a real choice.  There's not room for framed fixed panels between the hardtop bimini and the boom. But, so far, we're very happy with the Sunpower flexible panels. Looking at the Oliver trolley roof, there isn't a lot of space for flexible panels anyway. 

As far as the rpods, they're definitely lighter, but I personally doubt they are as aerodynamic as an Oliver, Airstream or Casita, because of the big/wide  frontal area, and squared off sides. My guess. No wind tunnel tests, at least that I've ever seen. 🤔

This winter break, we're upgrading the 2 x 100 panels to 2 x 200. While I've spent the last few days working on repair projects for my mom at her condo, Paul has modified the mountings to accomodate the longer and slightly wider panels, and dryfitted everything. We're pretty excited to put them to work, but there is still wiring and install of an additional controller to be done. 

Though most of the Tesla superchargers are located along the interstate, I've noted that they're often not far from the secondary roads. (Sometimes,  the old highway parallels the interstate. )

With Tesla's map planner, and patience, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Til we both get our Cybertrucks.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Starshine, I  don't know if you follow allelectricfamily, but they put up a YouTube today comparing drives with a Tesla X and a Ford explorer.

Thought you might find it interesting. 

https://youtu.be/3OnEyVjo7t4

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

SeaDawg saw it yesterday and loved it. Their attitude of stop and smell the roses is spot on. We are like Katie and Steve, I like planning apps but my husband, Vincent, like Steve enjoys following the data found on the touch screen display. He constantly monitors energy usage, battery level, charging rate ( smiles if it hits 150kw ) and so on. 

As mentioned earlier, the Model X would have a difficult time towing up some mountains if it does not have a great battery range. (Depending on the distance and battery level, an X could beat an ice truck). Unfortunately there are not many chargers in some elevated and or isolated areas. Everyday Tesla is adding chargers all over the world. In the mean time, we ordered a Tesla Tri Motor Cyber Truck . We want the large battery not only for towing but to have plenty left for the outlets on the the truck. We will not need additional collectors with all that energy. Heard there may be a slight delay but we expected that to be the situation.

Just like many EV owners or future owners, we enjoy traveling in our vehicles taking breaks to charge and enjoy the scenery. While charging there is a multitude of games, podcasts, news channels, music, Internet and Google Map to explore. However, If people in a hurry to get to their destination or live in an area that is very isolated than an EV is not for them. Luckily, for us we have the time. 

So glad you order a cyber truck too. Can't wait!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

So, rainy day at home, surfing youtubes.

Check out a Model 3, pulling a 27 foot airstream. Impressive. 

Will it go far? No. Does it go well. Yes.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, the follow-up interview. 

CanAm has built a business  of creating proper hitches for all kinds of vehicles.  Just be aware, this is Canada, not the US.  

But, this is very interesting,  at least, to me. I've said it before,  and, I'll say it again.  I'm looking forward to the day that we can worry about how to charge our ev tv from solar, boondocking. Instead of how to run ac.

It will happen. Probably, but maybe not, on my lifetime,  but it will happen. 

At least for now, I  can charge a local ride on solar. Who knows what the future will bring?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Audrey I just read the chain of posts and I am in the same position you were in in December. I have a Tesla X and I want to toe and Oliver. Have you learned anything new? Have you taken delivery of your camper? I need to make a decision. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator+

This may be the answer to the problem of not enough charging stations.

https://iplayerhd.com/player/video/dae6a69a-adb1-4692-aaba-cff7e6bcd493

• Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

This may be the answer to the problem of not enough charging stations.

https://iplayerhd.com/player/video/dae6a69a-adb1-4692-aaba-cff7e6bcd493

Great use of tech but I am going to wait for v.3 which will use smaller, watch batteries. I heard the stacks are going to be built like Pez dispensers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW