Bright White Porch Lights Attracts Flying Insects - Simple Solution To Minimize The Attraction

QuestionMark

Not sure if everyone else in the country experiences this but, here in South East Texas our Bright White Porch Light attracts every flying creature known to man.   After doing some research, it appears yellow light is less attractive to flying insects.    We recently purchased some yellow film to place over the porch light and have found it to help out considerably.   Of course, we are not in the middle of summer now so only time will tell next spring if the theory holds true.   Below is the link to the film I purchased and applied to the lens portion of the light along with a couple of photos of how it looks.   I now have enough film to redo the lens another 100+ times if needed in the future as it is easy to pull off.  Time needed to place the film over the lens and cut to fit was around 5 min.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4PDXBD/ref=twister_B01N7TJDQG

IMG_2126.thumb.jpg.67c1ee29ea9ed58cbe1c1c357fc2bc05.jpgIMG_2122.thumb.jpg.935f010c25917850e0c4a58d689d682e.jpg

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 7

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

• The title was changed to Bright White Porch Lights Attracts Flying Insects - Simple Solution To Minimize The Attraction

Might have to try that. It also might help with the issue of the folks next to us at the moment ( street side) in a tent that must feel like a UFO has landed 10 ft away from them when I snap on the porch lights.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

Nice idea on the film.  I may give that a try.  Those lights can be bright. 

Mcb. How is your trip going since you picked up your Ollie a few weeks back?   Have you installed your graphics yet?    We are due for first significant snow inland tonight.  Safe travels!!!

All good on this end. A couple of cool nights in TN, one night at 32 in the Panhandle. All beautiful country for sure. Settled into Sanibel for a while now, finally moving into the camper.. We’d wanted to give it sometime before we started installing hooks, pictures etc all over the place. 
Graphics are on the slate for tomorrow.. unless the beach is calling.. 🙂

Been watching the weather at home as we’ve still got an iron or two in the fire up that way.. at least the ground isn’t frozen yet so some of that rain will replenish the ground water lost this summer.... but what a tough week or so.

• Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

Questionmark - 

Any hints on the install?  Did you simply use a razor or exacto knife to trim around the edges?  How's it sticking so far?

A couple of years ago Mike - (Mossemi) actually installed replacement lights that are amber.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

So, over dinner I was thinking - instead of buying enough film to do the lights 100+ times, how about going to a auto supply store (like Autozone, Pep Boys, or even Wally World) and take a look at a tail light lens repair kit.  I wonder if it has enough material in it to do the four Ollie lights?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Back in the day, before led lights, it was possible to buy a replacement lens, and be done. We also  replaced the bulb with an led equivalent in our 2008 , after changing the lens.

The amber film in the new led  one should do the trick, as. ?mark did. 

We did find fewer bugs attracted to  the amber lens. The mosquitoes,  not so much. They seem to be attracted more to a campfire that puts out more co2 than we do. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Same here. Adding a light strip to the awning is a good option if you have an earlier Ollie or didn’t get that from the factory. We’ve found that the main lights will attract bugs right to your door but the awning lights keep them far enough away that they rarely get inside. They also put light more where we need it rather than right against the trailer.

I’ve been looking at some of the different gel options that are available for photographers and theater lighting. You have many more choices to create a nice warm white rather than amber, but the problem is that none of them are adhesive, so you’d have to find a good way to attach them. 

Edited by Overland

• Moderators

I’ve thought about a light strip for my awning.  The ones I’ve looked at put out a lot of light.  That’s my issue with the porch lights, they are too bright to use for anything except a temporary task.  Walking around campgrounds, some of the trailers and campers with lots of built in and added on lights just seem to detract from the camping experience.  Sometimes it’s like walking down a city street with all the colors, brightness, etc.  Our solution is to use minimal outside lighting and camping where the neon buses and 5th wheels can’t or won’t go!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The film is a great idea.  It wouldn't be necessary if the porch lights had both dimming and full RGB capabilities. 

I use these lights on the awning or around the campsite with a USB battery. They weigh almost nothing and have a nice warm color.  They come on a small plastic film reel so they are pretty easy to keep organized. 

update: Just checked power consumption - 1W.

USB_lights.jpg

Edited by mjrendon
  • Like 1

Our awning light strip has I think three brightness levels, and also a warm white option in addition to the cool white and colors. But I’m considering swapping it out for a Philips Hue light strip. We have Hues in our house and have really come to like them. It would add complexity since I’d have to add a bridge, but we already have a router and I could easily add a 24 volt circuit to power the strip. The bridge is 5 volt so I could find a USB cable for it no problem.

The advantage would be infinite brightness and color levels plus it would set me up for some additional Hue strips later. I think with a 24 volt circuit that I could also power my Sonos directly rather than with the inverter. 

• Like 1

Ok - old grumpy guy comment....... - I just don't understand the need of some folks who seem to need daylight - at night - and then leave them on all night.  A few nice -  mood inducing awning lights work well - but the stadiums - hmm.  Therefore I try to stay as inconspicuous as possible with the lighting.  I remember a pod of AS owners that all wanted their running lights on while  parked in the CG - I guess its Christmas all year. 

Me being inconspicuous is not easy - by the way. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

I just don't understand the need of some folks who seem to need daylight - at night - and then leave them on all night.

I'm in your  camp

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Not that specifically but something similar. Thanks for the link. For the moment, it’s just an idea - but there is a video out there of someone who’s converted his Sonos Play to low voltage, so I’m hopeful that the same can be done with a Sonos Beam. I just need to open it up sometime to see what sort of power is required. Hopefully 24 volt like the Play. 

Has anyone tried to modify the wiring so that there is a dedicated switch for just the light by the door?  Or perhaps a dedicated switch for just the lower light near the steps. With such a switch one could see enough to exit for enter the trailer without lighting up the entire campsite...

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

On 12/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, topgun2 said:

Questionmark - 

Any hints on the install?  Did you simply use a razor or exacto knife to trim around the edges?  How's it sticking so far?

A couple of years ago Mike - (Mossemi) actually installed replacement lights that are amber.

Bill

Topgun2,

Yes, I used a straight razor blade to cut off the excess once I applied a piece to the light fixture that  was a little larger than the lens.  Going forward, I think I will make a template to cut several of them to have on hand.   We have traveled several times through various rain events after the application and the film still looks as good as the day it was applied so I am not sure I will ever have to replace.

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Thanks 1

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

On 12/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, BackofBeyond said:

old grumpy guy comment....... - I just don't understand the need of some folks who seem to need daylight - at night - and then leave them on all night. 

So so agree! These awning lights remind me of the midway at County Fairs or a Marquee. NOT a camping experience. I may have to try the yellow film on the light near the door. Would a red film preserve your night vision like on a boat better, and be less of a distraction to yourself and any neighbors. If I need lights that is what flashlights and lanterns are for. It is called 'Camping' after all, not hotel ing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The LEDs have to be replacable. There are amber LED replacment lamps, or there are amber replacement lens covers. I've been using amber lights for many years, starting with the 12v amber turn signal lights on the older trailers/outdoor lights that I have used. 

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

I rarely use them, only when setting up, or for maintaince work, I use the lower lights which I think give enough light to the campsite and much more ambience to the camping area.  I also have installed the LED strip lights on the awning rail, the ones that I can change the colors and the way they flash, etc., but don't use them all the time.  All being said, we are light poor with the Oliver, I counted 29 just on the inside and that's just what comes stock with the trailer. 

trainman

• Haha 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.