Anderson Hitch or Not

dewdev

I am looking at purchasing a Oliver Elite (single axle). It is being sold with an Anderson No Sway Hitch. My TV is a 2018 RAM 1500 Rebel. 

Is it necessary (recommended) for me to use the Anderson No Sway Hitch or can I just connect to my 2" TV standard ball hitch?

A friend of my has a similar TV and has a Oliver Elite II and does not use a No Sway Hitch with no towing issues.

If those of you that own a Oliver Elite (single axle) could tell me what you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dewdev

Edited by dewdev
Update name

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

I don’t think you need the Andersen with the small Oliver towing with a Rebel.  Sway isn’t much of an issue with Olivers.  The tongue weight of the Elite wouldn’t make weight distribution much of an issue either.  When I was towing our Elite II with a Rebel I used the Andersen for the weight distribution not sway control.  Just my opinion. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi dewdev: I think that I may be the only Elite I owner using the Andersen with a 1/2 ton. We towed without it for the first few months and never had any issues except for slight porpoising at times. I decided to buy the Andersen mainly because of liability concerns: our TV requires a WDH for a 500 lb+ tongue weight. While our tongue weight is normally sub-400, we do draw near 500 with a full fresh water tank. I just didn’t want to worry about it so added the WDH. The Elite pulled very nicely without it, since adding the Andersen the improvements are minimal but noticeable; less porpoising and a bit better tracking. - Brian

• Like 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

Dewdev

We tow our 2019 Elite I with a Toyota Tundra without the Andersen or any sway control. The Elite tracks and tows very well. We had a couple of Airstreams before the Elite, but I would have to say the Elite tracks and tows even better than them.

BobC

2019 Elite I Hull 431

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brian and Maria said:

I think that I may be the only Elite I owner using the Andersen with a 1/2 ton.

Well, there is at least one other - Bugeyedriver (Pete).  He originally towed his Elite I with a Tacoma but switched to a Ford F-150.  I think that he may have made that switch mainly for his owner - his dog , Bosker.  😆

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

, there is at least one other - Bugeyedriver (Pete).  He originally towed his Elite I with a Tacoma but switched to a Ford F-150.  I think that he may have made that switch mainly for his owner - his dog , Bosker

I remember phone conversations with Pete about that, but I  don't remember seeing an Anderson hitch on his rig last fall, when we camped together for a few weeks.  Maybe I'm just blanking, but I'd think I'd remember,  since we spent a lot of time working on his front jack switch and wiring. Possibly my poor memory. 

We've never used an Anderson,  towing with my Silverado,  nor Paul's 2008 Ram 4 x 4. 

Neither our tongue weight nor our trailer weight warrant it, for insurance purposes,  and never seriously felt the need.

Each to his own, however. I  know the new trucks love to tout huge numbers for tow capacity, plus asterisk, requiring wdh. With the smaller weight of the Elite, I think it would be sad for a half ton manufacturer to require a wdh.

My opinion, only, after 13 seasons.

Sherry  

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks all for your opinions. As I expected (and hoped) I see no need for the WDH for my tow vehicle with the Oliver Elite

Richard

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I use a Anderson WDH for legal reasons, personally I think the 1500 Ram can handle an Oliver Elite II, but I'm not going to take a chance in todays courts that might prove me wrong without the Anderson putting me within the legal limits of the truck manufactures towing limits. The single axle Oliver should be ok without the Anderson WDH.

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, Trainman said:

I use a Anderson WDH for legal reasons, personally I think the 1500 Ram can handle an Oliver Elite II, but I'm not going to take a chance in todays courts that might prove me wrong without the Anderson putting me within the legal limits of the truck manufactures towing limits. The single axle Oliver should be ok without the Anderson WDH.

trainman

Which Anderson WDH drop/rise height did you go with? We have the 2020 version of your TV and I'm not sure if we need the 4in or 8in for the LE II we pick up on Monday.

Thanks!
Erika

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Erika - 

As long as your hitch ball is 23 inches off level ground, the delivery team will install and adjust your Andersen for you.

Have fun on Monday  but bring your "A" game.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 5 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Skipster said:

please disregard last question.  I found another hitch with a 2" ball that measures 23"off the ground. Hopefully that will work or the folks at Oliver will head me in the right direction when we go to pick up our new Elite

Right down the road from the plant. Tractor supply they will have what you need.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Landrover said:

Right down the road from the plant. Tractor supply they will have what you need.

And if Tractor Supply doesn’t have it go next door to Walmart!

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I suppose I'll ask on this thread. Let me know if I should start a new one. 

We have LE II with 2020 RAM 1500 Limited (with OEM adjustable airbags). With the bags we can raise the truck up or down about 6 inches. Truck adjusts itself periodically for various reasons. 

The RV reseller / dealer (not Oliver) really discourage us from getting the Andersen WDH, especially with the airbags, which we may not be able to "defeat" or bypass. They stopped recommending Andersen some years ago. He warned us that if we cannot defeat the truck from automatically adjusting the height of truck, that it can potentially place unwanted strain on the WDH and that we may be fighting with it to keep up with height adjustments.  

We need to hear from those with OEM airbags to get a better insight.

What issues may we encounter and what solutions, if any, are needed?

We would also like to take out some of the unwanted porpoisin when on country roads or bridges. The insurance liability is also a concern. It is stated in the users manual for pulling over 5,000 lbs. We certainly reach that weight when we are loaded down with all the other fun junk. 

The other, very expensive, option is to move up to a RAM 2500. Yet there may still be porpoisin, not sure how much. 

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

We have had our reseller / dealer really discourage us from getting the Andersen WDH, especially with the airbags, which we may not be able to "defeat" or bypass. They stopped recommending Andersen some years ago. He warned us that if we cannot defeat the truck from automatically adjusting the height of truck, that it can potentially place unwanted strain on the WDH and that we may be fighting with it to keep up with height adjustments.  

It sounds to me like you have several choices:

1.  Get your "reseller/dealer" to indemnify you against all liability associated with ignoring the manufacturer requirement that you use a WDH.

2.  Get your "reseller/dealer" to fix the problem with the "self adjusting" airbags.

3.  Spend a bunch of money to get a new truck.

4.  Take the liability risk yourself and/or learn to live with the strange airbags.

Good luck!

Bill

Wayfinder, You need to ask your question on a Ram truck forum, there are several. There may be a dealer setting or hack that will allow you to disable the auto adjust feature. I would be really wary of anything that is not dealer approved.

What does your truck owners manual say about this “fighting the hitch” ? It has to be a very common question….

What is your truck payload? Being a Limited it is probably a bit, well, limited. What is your tongue weight? Reducing that might be an adequate solution,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Wayfinder,

Although I don’t tow with a pick-up truck, I do have a self leveling rear air suspension.

I have had no problem using the Andersen hitch other than it has made it a little more difficult dialing in the proper tension.

I have to adjust the tension based on feel and the impact to the front height of the vehicle.

With the correct tension, we have a very controlled ride.

I went with the rear air suspension option based on the recommendation of Andy Thompson of CanAm RV in Ontario Canada.

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

We have F150, 3.5l, 4x4, super crew, 5 1/2’ bed.   We pick up our LEII 4/29.   Should we get the Anderson anti sway bar stabilizer or not?   Need the answers from folks with actual on road experience and similar trailer/TV configurations.

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

• Moderators

You have NO choice as long as you wish to help protect you liability issues.  A WDH is REQUIRED by Ford for your truck.

Bill

• Like 1

Good for you, you got Andy's recommendations, we did also! He is the Man!

We also set the Andersen WDH's Initial Chain Tension Setting (Baseline is the same every time) and then make"Fine-Tuning-Adjustments," based on the Feel of the TV's Front Axle! Our TV is a Mercedes GL450 with 4 Wheel Air Suspension. The "Feel" can vary depending on the Load in either the TV or Trailer. For example, when we leave on a Trip, Loaded we will have to adjust the Chains only 1/2 Turn tighter from the "Initial-Setting" than when we return empty from the same trip empty, which is understandable. I was however surprised to learn, that such a seemly small amount of change, could make such a big difference in the way the TV Feels/Handles!

By the way, we use a "3/4 Inch Thick Gauge Block," (to set the Initial-settings) which we insert over the Adjusting Screws, to measure the amount of the Screw Thread protrude outside the RED BUSHINGS. Interesting that this procedure results in the Chains not being overly tight, while providing an excellent Ride! I would encourage you to try this method for yourself, I think you will like it.  

29 minutes ago, mccrusn said:

We have F150, 3.5l, 4x4, super crew, 5 1/2’ bed.   We pick up our LEII 4/29.   Should we get the Anderson anti sway bar stabilizer or not?   Need the answers from folks with actual on road experience and similar trailer/TV configurations.

I have for over 45 years of RV Towing experience, plus another 50 years in the "Heavy Duty Truck Industry" severing in both Service/Sales related jobs, in the USA as well as eight years overseas. One thing I've learned is that you never stop learning! Today's RVs and TVs are much different and better in many ways than ever before. However, there is no Substitute for a properly Balanced TV and Trailer combination! All the fancy Air Suspensions and Electronic Brake/Towing Stabilization Systems can't make you Safer by themselves.

I assume your question is "centered around Safety" and "Handling" issues! Judging from how you asked the question, I am sure you have heard all kinds of things regarding WDH. IMO, the best WDHs are either the Hensley or the ProPride Hitches. The reason is simple, these are the only WDH that can eliminate Trailer Sway, almost 100%! Unfortunately they cannot be installed on an Oliver without substantial modifications. The bottom line is, the Andersen WDH is the only options, other than no WDH at all. Many RVERs assume that because your TV maybe able to carry the additional Rear Load and their TV is equipped with some type of magical Electronic System, they don't need a WDH. They can help, but they are still only Aids. 

To answer your question directly, there is no situation that I can think of, that I would be comfortable Towing any RV Trailer, regardless of Type/Size/weight without some type of either a WDH or Sway Control device!

• Like 3

Well, we ordered the Andersen with chain extensions. Now we need to install and hook it up the best we can, when it arrives. 

Chris
Augusta, Georgia