Anderson Hitch or Not

dewdev

• Moderators

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I hope it works.

A glass of any white wine, when we meet someday,  will be appreciated , If it works.  I hope it does. 

We've never used a wdh, as we have the smaller elite. Bigger tow vehicles, never needed the extra accouterments. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, SeaDawg said:

I hope it works.

A glass of any white wine, when we meet someday,  will be appreciated ...

I only order by the case. It costs less that way. 😉

On 6/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, SeaDawg said:

• Haha 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

I use the Anderson WDH that came with my 2018 Oliver Elite II. 

One of the chains has an extra link so the thread count showing at both red bushings are never the same. (The original owner says it came from Oliver that way). I tighten the chains 4 rotations of the socket wrench from the hand tight start, as recommended on the Anderson WDH video. Performace seems fine and the front of the TV feels correct. I have had the chains looser but the performance on the front end of the TV felt sloppy. I have not experimented with tighter that the recommended 4 rotations of the socket wrench.

Does anyone else use this method and has it worked for you? 

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

I pulled The Wonder Egg (2008 single axle Elite I) 111,000 miles with my 2008 4.0L V6 Tacoma.  After the Taco surpassed 225,000 miles, it retired from towing duties in 2018 and is now a runabout town vehicle.  I purchased a 5.0L V8 F150 as a new to vehicle and it does a very, very fine job.  Bosker enjoys the extra room.  With full water and a loaded trailer, the tongue weight is 460lbs, as measured on a scale.   I've never used a WDH and even during the most adverse weather and road conditions.  Now, with 138,000 miles on The Wonder Egg, it still tracks true, with excellent road manners.

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:

Now, with 138,000 miles on The Wonder Egg, it still tracks true, with excellent road manners.

That's all the miles you've traveled?

• Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, dewdev said:

Does anyone else use this method and has it worked for you? 

My original Andersen WDH setup was to have 6 threads showing - we arrived at this at delivery of my Oliver by measuring and remeasuring.  After that I "toyed" with 7 threads showing and 5 threads showing but have always come back to the original 6 threads.

Yes, there have been those very rare occasions when traveling off-road that I've loosened the chains, but, for ALL paved road activities the Andersen has never given me an ounce of trouble.  I try to always be mindful of the driving situation I'm in - if there is a big "dip" in the road I simply take that slowly at an angle or if that isn't safe I simply drive on to another gas station.  All sorts of things "alert" me to scope out the situation I'm in.  If it is a road that has ruts, dips, roots, rocks, etc.  I'm already out of the cab taking a look at departure angles, spacing of those rocks, overhanging tree limbs, condition of the road-bed, etc., etc..   So, the Andersen is just a minor part of that activity.  All other WDH's that I've used have had these same (or greater) issues.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 6/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, Wayfinder said:

Well, we ordered the Andersen with chain extensions. Now we need to install and hook it up the best we can, when it arrives. 

I got my chain for the extensions at Home Depot, 3/8" chain and 23 lengths for each side.  I did have then cut to 25 lengths just to be safe and when I got home I cutoff two lengths. You will also need 2 3/8" chain links to put the Anderson chain and the added chain together.  I installed the Anderson at the Davy Crockett Campground the first night we were there and took about a hour to do everything to get the Anderson hooked up. I brought the Anderson with me as I purchased it online and the hitch and chain cost me about $525.00 for everything, including the extra chain and connecting links. John Davies provided me the info I needed for the added chain and links and he was spot on, thanks again John.  Oliver at delivery showed me where the Anderson brackets mount on the trailer and YouTube had videos on the install process, like I said, pretty easily done and saved me some $400 plus dollars. One note here, if you ordered the Anderson Extensions they may not be long enough for the Oliver and you may need longer chains, but not sure of what you are getting, so just remember you need at least 23 lengths per side of chain and two connecting lengths to work. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

That's all the miles you've traveled?

Well, the great Yeti cooler, makes it easy to stay out on extended trips . . . So I just keep on rolling

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+
Just now, bugeyedriver said:

Well, the great Yeti cooler, makes it easy to stay out on extended trips . . . So I just keep on rolling

I'm sooooo glad you're enjoying my Yeti cooler.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We are going from a tear drop trailer to an Ollie LEII (as soon as it's built).... so everything about towing safely and responsibly is what I need to learn... at this point there is nothing too minor.   I WANT TO KNOW!   Oliver sales team sold me the Anderson system with my LEII and I assume they will install it when I pick up the unit.  Appreciate everyones comments... when I know you have other things to do besides answer a newbies questions.

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

36 minutes ago, mccrusn said:

We are going from a tear drop trailer to an Ollie LEII (as soon as it's built).... so everything about towing safely and responsibly is what I need to learn... at this point there is nothing too minor.   I WANT TO KNOW!   Oliver sales team sold me the Anderson system with my LEII and I assume they will install it when I pick up the unit.  Appreciate everyones comments... when I know you have other things to do besides answer a newbies questions.

Yes, Oliver will install your Andersen WDH at the time you pick up the trailer.  There are a number of threads on this forum about the Andersen, I suggest you read them.  I have been using WDH's for many decades with pulling travel trailers.  We picked up our LEII almost six years ago and I have been using the Andersen every since; it only takes me about four minutes to hitch up or unhitch when using the Andersen over just connecting a trailer to a tow vehicle with out any type of WDH.

After reading the threads about Andersen WDH; you will get some very good information including those individuals that don't like them.  It's a great safety device when pulling a trailer of this size.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

Maverick has good advice above - reading all you can is your friend and you can learn just about all there is to know about the Andersen from both sides of the debate.

As far as delivery of your Elite ll is concerned relative to the Andersen, all you have to do is arrive at the appointed hour with a tow vehicle that is capable of towing the Elite ll and have a two inch receiver on the back of it ( note that if you have some sort of "special" tow vehicle then you should advise your Sales person of this so that they can either tell you what you need to bring or so that they can make sure that they have the correct parts).  The Oliver Service gang will take it from there by installing the Andersen on your Elite ll and adjusting the Andersen parts that go into your receiver so that they are at the correct height.

In addition to reading, be sure to view all the videos you can regarding the Andersen WDH (just go to YouTube and in the "search" box type Andersen weight distribution hitch).  This way you should be familiar with how it works and what to do in both ordinary and extra ordinary circumstances.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mccrusn said:

A good thing to know is what your tow vehicle will be.  There’s probably someone on this forum that could offer their experiences with a vehicle the same or similar to yours.  Oliver will install and adjust your Andersen, they’ve been doing it a long time!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyones input, whether you were replying to me or just the subject in general !   I will DEFINITELY be having the gang at Oliver install and set up the Andersen WDH system.   After many video's.... I have seen the light.

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

1 hour ago, mccrusn said:

I appreciate everyones input, whether you were replying to me or just the subject in general !   I will DEFINITELY be having the gang at Oliver install and set up the Andersen WDH system.   After many video's.... I have seen the light.

Enjoy your new trailer, the Andersen is easy to connect and disconnect.  We have been using the Andersen for almost six years.

• Like 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Oliver set us up nicely with the Andersen hitch at delivery and helped us with some dialetric grease to help with come corrosion on our 7 pin plug.  They were very helpful.  2 items to consider.  Make sure you have an electric brake controller in your tow vehicle.  Also some stainless steel wire to secure the shackles on the whale tail of the Andersen hitch.  I totally missed that and found ours were pretty loose at the recent Maine rally. One of the other Oliver owners noticed it and we tightened them up.  Thanks Billy!!!!!  

• Like 1

After much thought, reading forum posts, and calculations, we've decided to have Oliver install the Andersen when we pick up our LEII next year.  But, one thing we read somewhere and can't seem to find it again was the concern about using the WDH during inclement weather, i.e. rain, snow, etc.  Is that an issue? Hard to imagine installing, uninstalling, reinstalling when moving in and out of different weather conditions.  Has anyone had problems using the WDH in nasty weather? 

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  Hull #1018

2021 Ram 1500 eTorque 4x4

ALAZCAGAIDLAMSNVNMNCORSCTNTXUTWAmed.jpg

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Middlefork49 said:

But, one thing we read somewhere and can't seem to find it again was the concern about using the WDH during inclement weather, i.e. rain, snow, etc.  Is that an issue?

Never heard of this.  We never did anything different in bad weather.  We towed in all kinds of weather for 5 years.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The OLDER style ball assembly is open to the elements, for the past couple of years the new style has been better, it has a black collar that retains the friction cone and a seal, and it helps to keep out water and grit. The old one could eventually start squealing horribly, what I call the Spawn of Satan, which would definitely wake up an entire campground if you attempted an early departure after a rain storm. Every slight turn and twist could cause it to shriek. Very unpleasant, and embarrassing. BTW old ball mounts can still be turned into Andersen with $100 and they will send you a brand new one.

Don’t worry about the new one in inclement weather.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I did a web search about using anti-sway devices in slippery road conditions.  I was just curious.

Both Curt and Reese anti-sway friction bar devices have a manufacturers warning stating that they should not be used in road conditions that could cause a loss of traction.  I did not run across any similar cautions for the Anderson or any of the torsion bar type WDH's.

Bear in mind that an anti-sway friction bar is an entirely different animal than the Anderson.  They both operate on a friction principle but a friction bar is only mounted on one side of the trailer frame (and connected to a side mounted auxiliary ball on the hitch), whereas the Anderson is completely different.  The friction on the Anderson is evenly distributed and constant.  It behaves differently than a friction bar, and friction bars provide no weight distribution.

Regardless of what system you use (or none at all) you need to adjust your speed to suit the road conditions.  Slow down.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

Probably not much new to add to this conversation other than to say we have had our Elite II for just over 6 years now with well over 20K miles of towing and in all sorts of weather from howling winds (side and headwinds), to torrential downpours for days and do not have the WDH. FWIW I was the one who started the initial conversation some 6 or so years ago back in the day when Robert Partee was still with us. At that time Oliver did not use or suggest any WDH and no one who owned an Oliver used them either. I only brought up the issue having looked into the the specs on all towing vehicles and thought it curious Oliver did not recommend them and wanted a better understanding. The  result of that thread led to Oliver adopting the Anderson.

There are two specs for all tow vehicles, one with and one without a WDH and this includes not only the towing capacity but the load limits on the hitch itself. Typically a decal or equivalent is applied to the underside of the hitch stating its load and tow limit and typically those values are cut in half by approximately 50% + o - when towing without a WDH. Given my tow vehicle (an F150) my values were just under or right at the limits, so with much cogitation on the subject I chose NOT to use the Anderson. Keep in mind most all newer trucks have electronic anti-sway devices built into the system and at least on my truck this seems to work admirably. I say this because on more than one occasion I have been subjected to some harrowing emergency maneuvers on the highway while towing, or extreme wind conditions while the Oliver stayed where it should, right behind me. 

None of this is to suggest others do not adopt the WDH, each individual has to figure out what they are or are not comfortable with. Perhaps I am being a penny wise and pound foolish but thus far I have not seen, with my tow vehicle, the need for a WDH. Worth mentioning in the initial thread some 6 or so years ago a few comments suggested outside of the RV industry these towing specs are either completely ignored or completely unknown to the towing public, ie horse trailers, construction trailers and so on and so forth. Sure enough not sure I've ever seen anyone outside the RV industry hooked up to a heavy trailer of any sort with anti-sway or WDH hitches. Oh well. 

As others have suggested, tow safely and sensibly at all times with a light foot on the gas pedal. As a rule I tend to stay around 65 on the major highways a bit slower 55-60 on two lanes and will rarely get to 70 unless under idea conditions with virtually no traffic near me. My own general rule is to travel at least 5-10 mph slower than the given flow of traffic. YMMV of course. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70