Anderson Hitch or Not

dewdev

I will add one thing, short wheel base tow vehicles like my LC 200 (112 inches) most likely require the use of the Andersen. Mine certainly would be uncomfortable and even dangerous without it. If you have a “typical” light duty pickup truck, with a WB of 140 to 155 inches, the Andersen may help, but it won’t be as dramatic an improvement as with a shorter truck. The longer WB truck will also be inherently more stable, less willing to swap ends in a high speed maneuver. This is simple physics. 

This is one reason a reaaaaaly short wheelbase vehicle like a two door Wrangler (93”)  makes for a dangerous tow vehicle, and why you so often see them in ditches in icy conditions. They just don’t have much lateral stability.

PS, towing puts a lot more stress on the suspension, especially the rear shocks. Keep an eye on them and replace them at the first sign of distress (usually an oil stain, indicating  a blown seal). I replaced the rears myself, a few months ago, and the front struts are getting replaced by a shop as I type, three of the four units showed signs of oil leakage at 140,000 miles.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Really good points John, and if using a crossover SUV or even a shorter truck frame based SUV like your Land Cruiser stronger consideration for a WDH would certainly be in order. If not mistaken the wheel base on my F150 (Super Crew/6.5 foot bed) is 158 inches which goes a long way toward stability as you have pointed out. Just wanted to emphasize my previous post was not meant as dissing those who choose to implement the WDH, far from it. Everyone should do what is comfortable and sensible for their situation. Safe travels.

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

With regards to the auto-leveling on your Ram, there is a jack function in the menus under suspension that will turn off the auto-leveling. We use it when connecting the truck and trailer. Once connected with the Anderson, we turn the jack mode off and have had no issue with the auto-leveling mode after that when towing.

• Like 2

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

Pat Maundrell, can you explain what you mean by the "feel of the front axle"?  

We have a 2014 f150 3.5 Eco with Tow package.  What we feel is slight porpoising.   Is that normal?  Roads here in CO are very bumpy and just falling apart.  

The more weight there is on the front axle, the more you feel the road surface and what is happening there. Especially on twisty highways. A too light front will cause understeer, the tire tread skids in turns instead of tracking in the right direction. This is dangerous and un-nerving, and it can wear the front tires quickly if you don’t correct it. The truck should feel “planted” and not skittery. If you never drive on twisty highways you may never notice this. But a properly weighted front will feel more secure in all situations. Add a quarter turn to the big nuts, drive that way for a day or two, repeat. You can feel the change. Don’t blindly accept whatever setting the Ollie tech decided was “right” for your truck. Mark the nuts with a black Sharpie and count the threads when you get it dialed in. Shifting heavy cargo in the truck forward has the same  effect, don’t stow your tools and cast iron cookware right at the tailgate!

https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/39818/what-is-understeer

I call Idaho “Land of Decreasing Radius Turns”, many of the valley highways closely follow rivers and some of the turns have an un-nerving design where you are settled into a nice even smooth turn, then with no warning it snaps tighter toward the end. A gps set to 0.2 mile scale will show the true shape of these turns, and will help reduce swearing and keep your britches clean…. This is educational, but don’t tow like this😬

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyRNLluVKk4

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, Mike and Carol said:

And if Tractor Supply doesn’t have it go next door to Walmart!

Definitely try tractor supply first. When recently having our Ollie serviced in Hohenwald, the women at the service desk said that she had worked at Walmart in Hohenwald and they didn’t have much of an RV section although hitches would be in automotive. Hard to beat Walmart prices in any event. 

• Like 1

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

On 7/23/2021 at 10:53 PM, trekhard said:

Pat Maundrell, can you explain what you mean by the "feel of the front axle"?  

We have a 2014 f150 3.5 Eco with Tow package.  What we feel is slight porpoising.   Is that normal?  Roads here in CO are very bumpy and just falling apart.  

Sorry for the late response. 

You asked about what I meant by the term "Feel of the Front Axle." You can think of it as the "Seat of the Pants Feel," that you can actually sense while driving down the road. I suggest that the next time you have your Oliver Hooked up, you experiment with the Hitch Adjustments. First, take a very short Road Test with the Hitch adjusted as normal and pay particular attention to the Feel of the Front Axle, i.e.  Tires/Axle! Now, loosening the Adjusting Nuts (1-2 turns) on the Chains and take another short Road Test , and compare the Feel you experience. You will probably feel a Light Sensation (less weight) on the Front Axle and may even notice a slight elevation of the Hood and a lowed stance of the back end of the TV. The difference in the FEEL, is the result of less weight being transferred to the Front Axle of the TV. Now, tighten the Adjusting Nuts 1/2 (one half turn) turn at a time, and  Road Tests again while noting the sensation you feel in the Front Axle. Do a couple of Road Tests and I am sure you will get the hang of it.The Ride should progressively feel more FIRM, I'd be surprised if you don't feel the WEIGHT actually being spread across both the Front and Rear Axles of the TV. Congratulations, you have just "Fine Turned" your RV WDH!

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 10:48 AM, John E Davies said:

Don’t blindly accept whatever setting the Ollie tech decided was “right” for your truck.

I think that is good advice, John.  It's probably a very good starting point but we all drive under different conditions and the "FEEL" you're talking about will be different for us all.  Safe travels! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• 1 month later...

Sorry I did not close this thread out.  I finally added the Andersen to the trailer.  The RAM 1500 did have a liability statement in the manual for 5,000 lbs or more.

It also took care of the porpoising that was occurring on rougher back roads and bridges.  Well, not really bad bridges, but it's better.

It was very easy to install.  I did get the suggested chain extensions.  I used 24 links, not 23 (just in case I needed it).  Must have a good torque wrench and some muscles, and/or a friend.

Thanks all. 

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2021 at 3:06 AM, Wayfinder said:

potentially place unwanted strain on the WDH and that we may be fighting with it to keep up with height adjustments.  

We need to hear from those with OEM airbags to get a better insight.

Your questions are good ones for ANY TV with airbags.  With airbags and Anderson: 

• The chain tension can cause structural issues with the the TV and Ollie, as well as with headlight aim. 
  • They can be set for towing to eliminate rear TV squat, and that may require less of a drop in your TV receiver.

My Firestone AB's don't auto adjust, but they do require that I adjust their pressure each time I hook up or unhook Ollie.   

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg