Anderson Hitch or Not

I am looking at purchasing a Oliver Elite (single axle). It is being sold with an Anderson No Sway Hitch. My TV is a 2018 RAM 1500 Rebel. 

Is it necessary (recommended) for me to use the Anderson No Sway Hitch or can I just connect to my 2" TV standard ball hitch?

A friend of my has a similar TV and has a Oliver Elite II and does not use a No Sway Hitch with no towing issues.

If those of you that own a Oliver Elite (single axle) could tell me what you use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dewdev

Edited by dewdev
Update name

2018 Oliver Elite II, Hull #354

2018 RAM 1500 Rebel 4 x 4

• Moderators

I don’t think you need the Andersen with the small Oliver towing with a Rebel.  Sway isn’t much of an issue with Olivers.  The tongue weight of the Elite wouldn’t make weight distribution much of an issue either.  When I was towing our Elite II with a Rebel I used the Andersen for the weight distribution not sway control.  Just my opinion. Mike

Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

Hi dewdev: I think that I may be the only Elite I owner using the Andersen with a 1/2 ton. We towed without it for the first few months and never had any issues except for slight porpoising at times. I decided to buy the Andersen mainly because of liability concerns: our TV requires a WDH for a 500 lb+ tongue weight. While our tongue weight is normally sub-400, we do draw near 500 with a full fresh water tank. I just didn’t want to worry about it so added the WDH. The Elite pulled very nicely without it, since adding the Andersen the improvements are minimal but noticeable; less porpoising and a bit better tracking. - Brian

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

Dewdev

We tow our 2019 Elite I with a Toyota Tundra without the Andersen or any sway control. The Elite tracks and tows very well. We had a couple of Airstreams before the Elite, but I would have to say the Elite tracks and tows even better than them.

BobC

2019 Elite I Hull 431

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brian and Maria said:

I think that I may be the only Elite I owner using the Andersen with a 1/2 ton.

Well, there is at least one other - Bugeyedriver (Pete).  He originally towed his Elite I with a Tacoma but switched to a Ford F-150.  I think that he may have made that switch mainly for his owner - his dog , Bosker.  😆

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

, there is at least one other - Bugeyedriver (Pete).  He originally towed his Elite I with a Tacoma but switched to a Ford F-150.  I think that he may have made that switch mainly for his owner - his dog , Bosker

I remember phone conversations with Pete about that, but I  don't remember seeing an Anderson hitch on his rig last fall, when we camped together for a few weeks.  Maybe I'm just blanking, but I'd think I'd remember,  since we spent a lot of time working on his front jack switch and wiring. Possibly my poor memory. 

We've never used an Anderson,  towing with my Silverado,  nor Paul's 2008 Ram 4 x 4. 

Neither our tongue weight nor our trailer weight warrant it, for insurance purposes,  and never seriously felt the need.

Each to his own, however. I  know the new trucks love to tout huge numbers for tow capacity, plus asterisk, requiring wdh. With the smaller weight of the Elite, I think it would be sad for a half ton manufacturer to require a wdh.

My opinion, only, after 13 seasons.

Sherry  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

I use a Anderson WDH for legal reasons, personally I think the 1500 Ram can handle an Oliver Elite II, but I'm not going to take a chance in todays courts that might prove me wrong without the Anderson putting me within the legal limits of the truck manufactures towing limits. The single axle Oliver should be ok without the Anderson WDH.

trainman

• Like 1

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.