Progressive EMS display relocation?

nrvale0

I swear I ran across a thread about moving the Progressive LED display out of the attic and to somewhere easily visible but I'll be darned if I've been able to find it even leveraging a Google site search.

Am I nuts? Does anyone happen to have a link? Or maybe advice on the topic?

• Moderators

Off the top - I don't remember such a thread, but, certainly I could be wrong.  However, while mine was not originally in the attic I did move it.  Originally these displays were in the street side basement and if you wanted to see the error codes you had to move the mattress and/or cushions and lift the hatch in order to read it.  I moved mine into the pantry and have been meaning to move it further into the first cubbie above the dinette.  The process is a fairly simple matter of "fishing" the wire.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

HERE and HERE are threads with various options for relocating the surge suppressor display. I followed @mountainoliver's suggestion HERE to move it under the dinette where it is visible from the door during campsite setup. As @topgun2 noted, in my trailer the surge suppressor display was under the streetside bed. You can snake the cable out through the electrical box, and no drilling is needed if you use command strips to attach the display to the trailer wall. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Due to some shoddy wiring at a park last summer, I now rock EMS at the post as well as the one integrated in the trailer. My post EMS has an LED so that problem is solved. One of the reasons I'm thinking about mounting the LED for the integrated EMS near the thermo is because one could open the door and poke head in to see status. I suppose that might also be visible fromthe street side windows as well depending on glare. Not quite as convenient as opening the basement door but also would remain out of the elements that way. 

Edited by nrvale0

6 hours ago, nrvale0 said:

Due to some shoddy wiring at a park last summer, I now rock EMS at the post as well as the one integrated in the trailer. My post EMS has an LED so that problem is solved. One of the reasons I'm thinking about mounting the LED for the integrated EMS near the thermo is because one could open the door and poke head in to see status. I suppose that might also be visible fromthe street side windows as well depending on glare. Not quite as convenient as opening the basement door but also would remain out of the elements that way. 

That is why I verify voltage, polarity, at the source. Then hook up to Oliver EMS. It is also valuable if your gonna run AC is to watch voltage drop under full load - I've seen it drop from 118 to about 112.  That's not a real healthy situation. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

11 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

That is why I verify voltage, polarity, at the source.

I carry a 30 to 15 adapter with a circuit tester plugged into that. It rides in the door pocket of the TV. It gets plugged into every pedestal. I learned to do this at a campground. A lady said she didn't have any power in her camper. The breaker at her box wasn't tripped, but reset anyway. Went to her sub panel (at request of CG) and that breaker was ok. On to the main panel. That was ok. Back to the camper. Found out she had plugged into the pedestal, but had failed to connect the cord to her camper. The adapter device would have saved a lot of frustration and walking. There was correct power at the pedestal.

We have the portable Progressive EMS. It was the only option when we got our 2017 Oliver. Remember we have already checked the outlet before unhooking and setting up. The EMS gets plugged in. The dancing lights gives us all the info we need, a 'one stop shop'. We don't have to get up and go anywhere. One caution: the dancing lights get noticed by curious passer-bys. Some are just curious by what the dancing lights are. We use a cable lock, designed to secure a pistol, to lock the EMS to the pedestal. Next to figure out is how to secure the cable to the box. More pistol locks? Just don't want either to get "borrowed"...

• Thanks 1