Daytime temps and winterization

Ray and Susan Huff

We are headed home, via I-40, with our new Elite II, "Pearl"; we are still dewinterized.  During our two nights spent at David Crockett SP nighttime temps were in the mid to high 20's; daytime, in the 50's.  Using the furnace the first night (and burning a fair amount of propane), the basement/utility area stayed in the mid forties.  The second night (not quite as cold), we did not run the furnace, but kept and electric heater running and the basement access door (in the nightstand) open.  Again, basement/utility area stayed mid forties.

Now we are headed to the higher elevations of New Mexico and Arizona, where night temps are predicted in the 20's (Flagstaff in the teens, but we don't plan to stop overnight there).  Jason, at Oliver, says the highest danger of freezing something is while on the road.  From your experience in this circumstance, at what daytime temp should we decide to Winterize?  It will be mostly in the 50's, and no lower than mid 40's.

Another question: how do you manage dumping the fresh water tank to winterize while traveling?  Once winterized, we won't dewinterize until we get home.

We were so lucky going to Tennessee via I-80.  Only one mild snow shower, but a lot of wind.  On the return trip, there doesn't appear to be any serious snow/freezing travel conditions, although we may have to delay going from Nevada to Oregon via our preferred route, which is Hwy 365 - Reno to Susanville. 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

We are headed home, via I-40, with our new Elite II, "Pearl"

Congratulations!  We just picked up last month.  Hope you are as please with Pearl as we are with noname (688)!

at what daytime temp should we decide to Winterize?  It will be mostly in the 50's, and no lower than mid 40's

You are safe driving without winterizing in anything above freezing (32F).  What happens on the road is that the trailer temps will approach the outside temps much faster than they would while sitting still.  Especially in the basement where wind will seep in through weep holes, doors, etc.

how do you manage dumping the fresh water tank to winterize while traveling? 

I'm not sure about this one, but since it's fresh water why not just open up the drain valve and let it drain while driving?

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

I have not tried this with my Oliver yet. But I did with my Casita, when traveling through Colorado with air temps were in the 20's and we had a 3 to 4 hour trip. Drain the hot water heater. Run the water pump till it has no water for a few seconds. Use an air compressor set to blow out the water lines paying attention to get the outside shower. My air compressor was set to 45 PSI, never more than 50 PSI. Did not worry about freshwater tank. As long as the tank is not filled to capacity you are not likely to hurt anything even if it freezes slightly.  But I would pour antifreeze in the P-Traps.   Once set up and furnace on and internal temps are 40 to 50 you should be ok to turn the water back on. 

Not that Oliver no longers recommends the blow out method of winterization. There is a slight chance that you could have residual water trapped in a bend or fitting. But I never had any issues in the passed. I think vibrations of travel helps. 

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500