Xantrex XCPro 3000 warning code

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

In years past, Oliver provided a list of these numbers included in the Owner's Manual.  I assume that you have checked there?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 4/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

When I talked to Xantrex, I asked if the app would work if the BT remote display isn't functioning.  Shaun told me, the app is dependent on the BT remote panel being operable, as I expected the answer would be. Thus, if you don't have the new BT remote, the app will not work.

We are still having issues with the BT remote panel getting a "20" code (not communicating with the inverter).  We have tried, repeatedly, to install the firmware update that Xantrex says should fix the issue.  It appears to download, but doesn't update the firmware on the inverter.  Shaun (Xantrex) has concluded that our problem (not being able to update the firmware to ver 1.06 is an isolated problem for which they have no explanation.  With no remote display, we have no way of monitoring our charging system or turning the inverter on and off without getting under the bed, which is a real PITA.   

Has anyone with the non-BT remote had the "20" code error?  I expect not, since it pertains to the absence of BT connectivity between the remote panel and the inverter.  While pondering the situation, I'm wondering: The non-BT remote display must be directly wired to the inverter.  With this being the case, a solution to our problem would be to replace our BT remote panel with the non-BT model.  Unless, for some reason, the Lithium battery configuration required features found in the BT version and not the non-BT remote panel. 

I'm going to talk to Oliver regarding the need for the BT remote panel.  If either works with the Lithium Pro option, I'm going to see if one or the other (Oliver or Xantrex) will make this swap, under warranty.  I'm not excited about "letting the situation ride" (Shaun) until they can figure out why our unit will not update the firmware or wait for the next firmware update.

For those of you with the non-BT remote display, I would not upgrade to BT unless you absolutely must have the BT app, unless the BT version has capabilities the previous one does not.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 12/20/2020 at 3:50 AM, Mcb said:

NCeagle, have you explored the possibility of cutting a hole below the bed and rotating the inverter so that the controls are accessible from the cabin? Maybe move the 300a breaker there too? 

It would be nice if Oliver installed it this way.  

Ray and Susan Huff

On 12/11/2020 at 3:41 AM, Mcb said:

Ours worked fine at first... I think it got cranky on day 3.  With ours, if you remove the remote panel, disconnect the wire, then plug it back in it works fine for a couple of minutes then goes back on the fritz. I do wonder about the connection at the inverter itself, which has a slight amount of play in it, but doesn’t seem to have an impact when I wiggle it. I was thinking of getting a new wire and running it through the hatch to see if that works, but may just wait to see what Oliver and Xantrex come up with. 
We’ve lived with it almost 3 weeks as is, doesn’t seem to create any issues, or at least we hope not. We know what the batteries are doing via the app, we know what the inverter is doing via the “hum”, and everything seems to be in order. 

What App?  I was told by Shaun at Xantrex that the BT display must be functional for the App to work.  Is this not the case?

Ray and Susan Huff

On 12/20/2020 at 6:28 AM, Jairon said:

Has anyone reported this issue using the XC 2000 inverter and display panel? The internals of the inverter are so similar to that of the XC 3000 that it makes me think the issue might be specific to wiring differences between the lithium and non-lithium configurations.

This theory obviously goes out the window when someone using the XC 2000 reports the issue.

This might be the case.  Shaun told me both the 2000 and the 3000 inverter run with the same software.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/17/2021 at 2:02 AM, NCeagle said:

I did update my service ticket with this info, and Jason told me Xantrex just sent OTT a new firmware version to try and fix the issue.  Jason sent me the firmware to try yesterday as the Oliver team hasn't been able to finish their testing yet due to weather.  It didn't work on my inverter - or at least I don't think it did as I was able to reproduce the [20] error immediately by cutting off the battery connection to the Xantrex while on shore power.

My remote is disconnected again until we have another version of firmware to try.

I agree with the new inverter comment.  All I've been using the invertor for so far is charging the batteries and it's obviously not Xantrex's specialty.  Whenever it's on and connected to a battery, it charges by default - and keeps it topped off, which is not what you want to do with your Lithiums if you aren't boondocking.  I don't want the thing charging my batteries by default and I'm already sick and tired of reaching under the bed access hatch to trip the cutoff switch - or reset it so I can charge the battery when it needs it.  I may eventually go with a dedicated inverter and a dedicated charger.

When I attempted the firmware upgrade, it appeared to have downloaded, but when the inverter is powered back up, the new firmware is not shown on either the main display or the remote panel.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/17/2021 at 7:27 AM, Dgsmith said:

FWIW as this is not the exact same problem as most are having with the Xantrex XCPro 3000.  I noticed that I was getting the “20” warning code several days after delivery of my new OTT.  Long story short, my issue became no charging of the batteries from shore power.  I tried checking all the Xantrex switches, the breakers, the cables, etc. to no avail.  I finally downloaded the Xantrex Bluetooth app off their website, and after pairing, went to the settings menu and noticed that there was a switch pertaining to charging from the tow vehicle which was on “auto on” .  I thought that’s odd because that can’t be done as my tow vehicle is not set up for that.  So I turned this switch in the app to off and lo and behold my batteries finally started charging from shore power.  The Xantrex did cut off by itself after the batteries were fully charged.  Maybe next week after the weather warms up I can put the system through a discharge/charge cycle or two to see if there are continued issues with the Xantrex.

Did you come to any conclusions regarding the Xantrex not charging the batteries from shore power?  As far as I can tell, this is not the case with our issue.

Regarding the App does it work when the BT display does not?  Does the App pair to the inverter or the BT remote?

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/17/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dgsmith said:

I don’t know much RV electrical but I’m having to learn.  I don’t have much choice living in a very remote location.  

I added the “FXC Control App” to my phone that can be obtained from the Google Play store or the iOS App Store.  This app is specifically for the Xantrex remote to view and monitor and configure the remote.  I didn’t know this app  existed until I had exhausted all other attempts to find out why my Xantrex was always in a “bypass” mode, never charging the batteries.  I thought there has got to be something like a software issue.  If one goes to the Xantrex website and looks at the product menu, finds the Xantrex Freedom remote and looks at that page you will see that they mention this application for the Xantrex remote.  It might be worth a look and maybe by working with someone at Xantrex they may be of better guidance on using the app.  In my case, I was desperate as I needed the lithium batteries charged enough to get the water pump to work so I could winterize before this polar vortex dipping into Texas and it was the weekend.  I stuck my neck out and tried the app and out of dumb luck I seemed to have made the right parameter change.  I’d recommend calling Xantrex in the future if possible.  Sorry for the long diatribe.

So, our remote display, when it's working, sometimes shows "Bypass" in the flow chart.  Does that mean the batteries aren't charging because they have reached the charge threshold or the inverter is not charging the batteries at all?

I will try resetting the inverter (to hopefully wake up the remote display),  turn off the solar controller and put a load on the batteries to see if the inverter  says "bypass".

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, Dgsmith said:

Bill,

Yes, that’s the App!  Well said. Thanks!

David

Does this app work if the BT display shows the "20" code?

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/18/2021 at 2:08 AM, NCeagle said:

Jason sent me this same version, U3 v1.06.

Something isn't adding up here.  This firmware is from 8 months ago and from what I can tell most of us having this issue have just picked up our Ollie's recently and have the 3000 inverter (lithium package).  I was working directly with Xantrex technical support about a month ago on a different problem and mentioned this [20] error code many of us were seeing.  I was told at the time that they were aware of the issue and were testing a fix that required a complete re-flash of the software (not just a firmware update), and that it could only be done at a certified Xantrex service center.  The tech didn't even mention trying v1.06 to try and resolve the [20] error and it was certainly available at the time.

I put the new firmware on yesterday - it was simple and only took a few minutes.  I didn't think it worked it was so simple and quick, but my Xantrex is indeed now running U3 1.06.  It has not fixed the problem on my inverter.  I can recreate the [20] error every time by cutting the connection (using the relay) between the Xantrex and the battery while on shore power.  I do this often because I don't want the Xantrex keeping my Lithiums topped off and the only way to stop the Xantrex from charging the batteries while on shore power is hard disconnect.  I can also "fix" the [20] error by cycling the shore power AFTER the battery is already cut off from the inverter.  The remote works fine until I connect and subsequently disconnect the battery again. 

I don't think Xantrex expected their customers to be continuously connecting and disconnecting the batteries in order to manage the SoC, but you pretty much have to if you own Lithiums since the inverter is set up by default to always top off the batteries and keep them there.  I know these Lithium vendors say don't worry about it - our BMS protects the battery...  but that's a marketing response.  All research points to the fact that temperature and SoC are the two critical factors in Lithium longevity.  Temperature does more damage to the Lithiums when they are in a full SoC as well - so why keep them at 100% when on shore power?

I'll try and figure out what the serial number on my remote is and share it with OTT, but I suspect this firmware has nothing to do with our [20] error code.

In the meantime, if anyone with the Lithium package has a chance, it would be interesting to see if anyone else can recreate the [20] error consistently with the sequence I described above...  or, if there are any other sequences that cause the problem?

Here's what seems to be the case with our Pro 3000 with BT remote display:

As per Jason, I did a reset to confirm the software version on both the main display and the remote.

1. Remove AC & DC power - disconnect shore power and trip the 200a inverter breaker located under the street side bed area.
  2. Wait about 2 minutes
  3. Reset the 300a breaker to allow DC power back to the inverter
  4. Turn the inverter on at the remote display
  5. Scroll through the settings to verify software version - should be U3 01 06.
  6. Double check the remote display to ensure it also shows the U3 01 06 software.

Upon doing this, we discovered our inverter is running ver 01 04.

Next, OTT had me install the ver 01 06 update, which was unsuccessful.  The files appear to download, as indicate by the amber/green flashing light at the inverter's USB port, but when powered off and back on again, the displays still show ver 01 04 (both the main display and the remote panel)

After hooking up and disconnecting from shore power several times, ino order to run a space heater at night to combat freezing temperatures, the remote panel stayed functional.  Then, yesterday, while running on just solar power, with only phantom loads, the remote panel again gave me the "20" error.  Through all of this, the inverter was not disconnected from the battery.  The only way I can get the remote panel back to normal is to do the reset as outlined by Jason above.

I am clueless as to what is interrupting the BT display connection.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/18/2021 at 6:55 AM, NCeagle said:

Ok, thanks to @SeaDawg's comment above about a software setting to turn the charger off, some kind of neurons fired (or misfired) in my head and I thought of the post I had read from @Dgsmithyesterday about his issue with the charger ignition control "setting" being wrong - not allowing the inverter to charge the battery.  Well, I went out and tried toggling this software setting and it works.  I can turn the charger on and off with the software setting!!  No more [20] error code, no more reaching under the bed all the time to toggle that relay - and its great IF it isn't causing any other unseen issues or risks.  

This has been a valuable collaborative effort on this topic!  The reason my inverter was getting the [20] error code was because of the way I was trying to take care of my batteries.  Everything started pointing to the Xantrex misbehaving when no batteries were connected while it was alive and passing shore power through.  There may be other things that can cause the [20] error code, but fingers crossed that this was the primary reason some of us are seeing it.

I'm not advocating doing this without validation from Xantrex / OTT Service that it's safe.  I'm going to share all of this with OTT Service and hopefully they can work with Xantrex to verify if it's safe as a workaround OR have Xantrex provide a permanent, approved solution. 

I'll shut up now - everyone can breath a sigh of relief!  🤣

What did Xantrex/OTT say about this?

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/19/2021 at 8:58 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Thanks for the explanation and the great photo.  Would we first install the firmware update before doing the cut-off/reset procedure?

I can see the display panel in the center of the Xantrex "black box", just above the ducting.  It sure isn't in a handy place to see; does a mirror help?  I guess I need to do more looking around in the bowels of our Ollie and see what's there.  After I get our taxes off to the accountant; looking forward to that solar tax credit 😁

What is the duct you have wrapped in rubber mat?

BTW: Solar tax credit reduced our tax liability to less than $1,000 (along with other adjustments)

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/20/2021 at 3:23 AM, NCeagle said:

I reset the inverter first and got it working properly with the remote before installing the firmware, although it probably doesn't matter since you have to power cycle the inverter as part of the upgrade process anyhow.  I just haven't been able to figure out why the "power" button on the inverter works sometimes and not others and I suspected the remote [20] error may have had something to do with it so I did a hard reset first.  During the firmware upgrade itself, I was able to use the power button on the inverter to do the power cycle since I had done the hard reset first.  👍

You actually don't need to see the panel on the inverter to do the upgrade.  The USB port (and two other ports) are right below those two white power cords coming out of the back of the unit (and so blocked from view).  I did stick my head in there with a flashlight to "find" the USB.  The flashing lights indicating the firmware is updating are also right under the port, and you just plug in the USB with the firmware on it, the inverter recognizes the firmware and downloads it, then you power cycle and it's done.  You can then check the firmware version on the remote after upgrading - since it will be working for a change!  🙂

The duct is a modification I made to get some ducted warm air from the furnace to the street side.  I have some holes in the ducts to warm some of the components that need to be warmed on that side in the winter - you can see one of the holes on top of the duct where the cell foam matting ends.  The hole looks like it's an accident because I hacked it in there with a screwdriver, but it's on purpose to shoot warm air up towards the battery compartment.  😄

The firmware update went as you state, until the power off/on cycle (step 6 of instructions) when the light is supposed to flash again.  Both displays still show ver 01.04 😬

After quite some time on the phone with Shaun at Xantrex, we are still unable to install the firmware update.

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

In years past, Oliver provided a list of these numbers included in the Owner's Manual.  I assume that you have checked there?

Bill

The components and their customer service contact information is there, but no model # or list of serial numbers for each.

Leisure Travel Vans supplied this info at delivery.  I didn't even have to ask.

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 months later...

FYI I started a separate thread (here) while trying to hear from others who may have dealt with Xantrex on fixing or replacing units that won't update the firmware. Long story short, once it became clear that the firmware update was failing on my unit, Oliver service pointed me to Xantrex who walked me through the  steps I'd already  done with  some files they emailed me (identical to what I downloaded from their site) and then I sent them the log files that  had been  written to my USB drive in the process of trying but failing to update. They got back to me a day later asking me to send them my inverter so they could troubleshoot - I balked and tried to negotiate receiving a replacement and simultaneously let Oliver know what was going on. Sounds like perhaps Mike Sharpe from service worked behind the scenes with Xantrex to prod them to send me a replacement and have me send mine back after receiving the replacement. Jason Essary emailed me to let me know they've been trying to get Xantrex to change their standard policy of having folks send in inverters (and thus have no inverter in their unit for potentially several weeks!!) and instead do as they finally agreed to do  for me. In the meantime, it seems that perhaps enlisting  Oliver Service to advocate on your behalf will do the trick if you have this problem.

I suggest anyone who has been dancing around the E20 issue w/o engaging with service get a ticket open and walk through the steps that  Oliver will suggest, and if you find you're unable to update the firmware (as Susan  and I and at least some other owners  - per Jason - have had happen with their  units) get that unit fixed or replaced as you really do want to be able to  install firmware updates and you want to  get this fixed while still under warranty!

• Thanks 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

On 4/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I haven't yet, but plan to take a mirror and locate the sticker.  Hopefully, it's in a place where I can get a picture with my phone.

I assume you eventually solved this puzzle. I ended up finding mine by blindly taking photos of the side of the unit that faces the ground, which thankfully has a 3-4" gap which is enough for my phone to get a decent image. It only took about 15 images before my manual scan of the space yielded an image with the  number in  it! 😃 Just figured I'd add this in case anyone else has to tell Xantrex the serial number of their unit.

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

On 7/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jim_Oker said:

I assume you eventually solved this puzzle. I ended up finding mine by blindly taking photos of the side of the unit that faces the ground, which thankfully has a 3-4" gap which is enough for my phone to get a decent image. It only took about 15 images before my manual scan of the space yielded an image with the  number in  it! 😃 Just figured I'd add this in case anyone else has to tell Xantrex the serial number of their unit.

I just recalled how I first discovered the serial number:  Resetting the inverter by disconnecting it from power (there is a breaker on the wall in the hull between the inverter and the battery compartment), temporarily resets the 20 error. After a reset, I connected to the remote panel via the Xantrex bluetooth app.  Somewhere on the app screens the serial number of the inverter is identified.

I also went through contortions to verify the serial number on the service tag which agreed with the reading on the app.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff