Ram 2500: Air suspension? 2nd Alternator?

Fritz

I'm getting close to ordering  the Ram 2500 (w Cummins) to tow an LE2.  With the trailer tongue weight (~600 lbs), topper (200 lbs), and perhaps 400 lbs in the bed, is the air suspension really needed or is the squat tolerable without?  Similarly, even with a heavier gauge charging system to the trailer (heavier gauge wire, with or without a DC to DC converter), is there any benefit to ordering a second 220-amp alternator.  It seems that the single, standard 200-amp alternator should suffice (given the wire-gauge limitations of anything that can be run and connected to the trailer batteries), but I'm interested in your opinions.  Thanks!

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I'm getting close to ordering  the Ram 2500 (w Cummins) to tow an LE2.  With the trailer tongue weight (~600 lbs), topper (200 lbs), and perhaps 400 lbs in the bed, is the air suspension really needed or is the squat tolerable without?  Similarly, even with a heavier gauge charging system to the trailer (heavier gauge wire, with or without a DC to DC converter), is there any benefit to ordering a second 220-amp alternator.  It seems that the single, standard 200-amp alternator should suffice (given the wire-gauge limitations of anything that can be run and connected to the trailer batteries), but I'm interested in your opinions.  Thanks!

Personally, given the option, I would never pass on the opportunity for a factory installed second alternator. Trying to duplicate later would be much more expensive and potentially less reliable.

Air suspension? Nice to have when they work but notoriously unreliable after a few years and expensive to fix out of warranty. It's a trade off with considerations for length of ownership and abuse truck will be subjected to. Not for me because there are lots of gravel roads and snow where I am and I tend to run things until the wheels fall off.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I’ve been a Ram 2500 owner for almost 3 weeks so consider that my experience is very limited!  I don’t have the air suspension.  I bought a nice Curt hitch with a 2” drop thinking that with the drop from the tongue weight I’d be level.  I’m not, I barely had a 2” drop in the suspension when I lowered the trailer (loaded, full fresh tank) but nothing in the bed.  I do have a bakflip tonneau cover.  I ordered another hitch, adjustable, because I need at least a 3” drop, maybe 4”.  It should arrive Wednesday.  Squat was about half what I thought it was.  I’m a little too high in the front.

My past two Ram 1500s had the 220a alternator as does this 2500.  Never had an issue with the 1500s with about 60K miles of towing.  I think the 220 is plenty.

Not sure it is evident in the pictures but in person the front is high.

EA33F1DD-A76E-41CE-A885-B7154065ABBD.jpeg

311A1817-E061-492A-B272-3608945F4464.jpeg

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I could prefaced my alternator comment with: If there will be any chance of upgrading the charge wiring and adding a B2B charger. 

A factory secondary could have a drive ratio more tailored to the intended use. 

Edited by bhncb
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve been a Ram 2500 for almost 3 weeks so consider that my experience is very limited!  I don’t have the air suspension.  I bought a nice Curt hitch with a 2” drop thinking that with the drop from the tongue weight I’d be level.  I’m not, I barely had a 2” drop in the suspension when I lowered the trailer (loaded, full fresh tank) but nothing in the bed.  I do have a bakflip tonneau cover.  I ordered another hitch, adjustable, because I need at least a 3” drop, maybe 4”.  It should arrive Wednesday.  Squat was about half what I thought it was.  I’m a little too high in the front.

Thank you!  That's encouraging about the suspension -- I would prefer to pass on it.  Is your truck version slightly higher than the standard Laramie?

In the 3 weeks have you towed enough to get a sense of towing fuel mileage?

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

For all but ambulance/wrecker/up fitters the 220 is plenty - . If you intend to do some upgrades with heavy amperage requirements - the added cost is minor in the whole.  You get two batteries with the diesel anyway. 

Air suspension - no idea - I tend to go with simplicity - regular suspension has been fine on my GMC - but perhaps a few forums out in the WWW will have some reviews or comments as to its effectiveness and reliability. 

Good travels. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Fritz said:

Thank you!  That's encouraging about the suspension -- I would prefer to pass on it.  Is your truck version slightly higher than the standard Laramie?

In the 3 weeks have you towed enough to get a sense of towing fuel mileage?

I’ve only towed from my storage to home and back, about 10 miles each way with a couple miles on I-10.  The first two tanks without towing I got about 21mpg.  Towing looked to be in the teens, dropped my average mpg by 3 or 4.  That’s not a good indication of what mpg will be.  I’ll find out in January when we head west to AZ.

My Laramie is a 4X4, standard suspension and 20” wheels (come with the midnight package).  It does have the towing technology group, still figuring that out, there are 5 cameras giving all sorts of views.  I don’t think the air suspension would be useful towing an Oliver.  Like I said, when I hitched the back of the truck dropped 2” max.  Probably a little less.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you all for the responses.  I think I'll pass on the air suspension (based largely on Mike's comments) and second alternator.  I spoke  with a local auto electrician -- he confirmed that the single alternator would produce plenty for whatever sized wire that can be reasonably extended to the hitch area and on to the trailer battery.    

I'll be curious what mileage you experience, Mike, when you head for Arizona...🙂

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I love the air suspension on our 2019 Ram.  Use it all the time, but don’t feel it is required because of the tongue wait.  We use it to facilitate hook up, and for gray water dumping.  The e-torque is great, but fuel mileage isn’t my justification.   I enjoy the low end torque with it and the 3.92 differential gearing.  

• Thanks 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"