Charging Lithium Batteries While Towing

I'm a former Oliver owner.  Replaced it with a Conqueror and now have a Kimberley Kruiser almost ready to ship to the U.S. from Australia.  I learned about using the Andersen Plug and wiring to charge my lithium batteries in my Conqueror.  I responded to a question today from an Oliver owner about charging with a 7-pin connector.  The Andersen plug/wiring will charge your lithium batteries at a much, much higher rate.  I've attached a document that provides info on how to install.

Vehicle Prep for Conqueror Trailer.pdf

• Thanks 3

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Hi Don, it is nice to hear from you. There have been a few threads about this recently. That document is fine as far as it goes, but it isn’t really adequate for an Ollie with its rear mounted batteries. The cable length from TV battery to hitch to Oliver batteries is too far for small 6AWG cable and connectors, though that size should be adequate for batteries mounted on the tongue. And the Ollie adds the problem of how you route the big cables through the hull wall and floor. Feasible, but rather time consuming.... 

They recommend that you have a professional install the terminals, that is entirely unnecessary since Powerwerx sells the crimp and insertion tools. Do it yourself now, and you will be able to repair it yourself later..... 

How did this setup work with your Conquerer? Post some pictures of your trailer please, it is allowed 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, John E Davies said:

Hi Don, it is nice to hear from you. There have been a few threads about this recently. That document is fine as far as it goes, but it isn’t really adequate for an Ollie with its rear mounted batteries. The cable length from TV battery to hitch to Oliver batteries is too far for small 6AWG cable and connectors, though that size should be adequate for batteries mounted on the tongue. And the Ollie adds the problem of how you route the big cables through the hull wall and floor. Feasible, but rather time consuming.... 

They recommend that you have a professional install the terminals, that is entirely unnecessary since Powerwerx sells the crimp and insertion tools. Do it yourself now, and you will be able to repair it yourself later..... 

How did this setup work with your Conquerer? Post some pictures of your trailer please, it is allowed 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

This seems like a super attractive add on.  If I understand the results, the thought of running the fridge DC while underway, would be fantastic.  We just picked up our new E2 and were on the road with it for a couple of weeks.  Was surprised to see how much power the fridge used while running on DC even with the lithium package.  Winter sun is too low to replace that amount of power and truthfully, I'd expect that even summer sun on a clear day would produce enough power to do so.  I'll search the forum to see chains on this subject.  John, do you have a suggested gauge wire to run from TV battery? 

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

GAP, just run your fridge on propane, I have never used mine on DC, ever. If I have to shut it off for a ferry, I leave the door closed until the crossing is over.

There are other things you must consider when trying this wiring mod, like limiting the current flow so you do not fry your truck alternator. Your TV won’t charge your lithiums over about 70% anyway, it cannot provide the required 14.5 volts, even at the alternator. I would not try this without also installing a DC to DC charger in the rear of the truck, to boost the voltage.

In Australia they have a Land Cruiser 200 alternator (booster diode) hack, that raises the charging voltage to 14.5 volts, but I would not do that to mine, it never gets over 14 volts, and it usually is around 13.7.... so I have a Redarc trailer charger on order, but I won’t get it for another month. I started a thread about it. It will give a steady 11 amps even with less than ideal wires in the truck and Ollie.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4759-redarc-trailer-charger-mounted-inside-the-ollie-for-100-lithium-charge/

Even for the Redarc unit, you would still have to do some wiring changes inside the Ollie, maybe. My black charge wire was an acceptable size (12 AWG) but the white ground wire was only 14 AWG, too small for sure, since it also has to carry the brake current and that for the lights. Even if you do not have to alter yours, you must physically inspect to make sure the correct gauge wires go all the way to the battery area. I broke into the splices under the front dinette seat, where the tongue wires connect to the trailer, and ran new 10AWG wires from there back. I do not know what gauge wires are in my truck, but they are protected by a 40 amp fuse, so I am very sure they are OK. I will post a thread about that mod....

John Davies

Spokane WA.

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.