A Warrantee Cautionary Tale

theOrca

I think I have figured out why Oliver no longer uses the Dometic Awnings...

My "purchase" date of Hull 615 was 6 April 2020. I had it delivered, so the first time I saw it was 11 April. Within 10 days I had noted a hole in my awning, and deep drag marks in the fabric, in the fore and aft direction versus open and close direction. I sent pictures to the Oliver Service department, and was told that I would need to take the trailer to a Service Facility for a Dometic Rep to take a look. (That was actually an error, as I found out that I could have communicated with Dometic myself.  Camping World merely took pictures and sent them off to Dometic.)

Dometic denied my claim! They claim that I only had 30 days to make such a claim vice the one year warrantee that is stated in the awning documentation.

The awning has only been opened two times that I know of. Once by me, and once by Camping World (who agree that the defect was Dometic's fault, and should be covered by warrantee.) I saw no rush to get the awning looked at since I had documented the defect, and did not intend to use the awning again until the fabric was replaced.

This coming week I will raise the issue with Oliver Service and see it they will intercede with Dometic for me. If that fails, I intend to lawyer-up an sue Dometic under Washington State law, which is pretty specific as to warrantee issues.

No wonder Oliver dumped Dometic. Even United Airlines has better customer service than Dometic...

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

My sales rep told me that Dometic couldn't meet demand so they switched manufactures.

Companies bank on customers not working through the courts so I hope you see it through! A new awning isn't cheap! A demand letter from a lawyer can also save you some time and money.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748