Trailer Brake Controller - which one and getting truck ready for towing

JRK

Which make/model of braker controller is suggested? I will probably be picking up an Elite 1, single axle in a few months, I hope. I want to be ready for the trip. I am towing with a 2014 Toyota Tacoma, for now, anyway, that has the tow package, 4x4, rated 6,500 trailer weight, so it should handle it. I need to install several items, including a trailer brake controller. There is the connection for the  controller underneath the steering column. The last trailers I towed I used a tekonsha in my 94 Ford F-250 with a 460 motor which I finally sold. I towed a rather heavy, but small, fifth wheel most of the time.

I don't plan on the Andersen hitch, but is there a better hitch than another, ie is the Reese 7,500 lb rating more accurate than a Curt, and looking at the ball/slide combination. Solid slide? Currently, I only tow lightweight utility trailers, and am using rather lightweight hitch and ball.

Is there anything else that I should look at for the trip home? I am in California, so will take about a 2,000 to 2,500 mile shake down ride home. I will be making a list on my way, stopping at WalMarts as needed. 

Thanks - John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

I started towing my Elite II with a 2012 Tacoma (with TRD Supercharger).  I used the Tekonsha P3 brake controller which plugged into a dedicated connection cable.  It worked well.  I also used the Andersen WDH which also worked well and was easy to hook up once you know how to do it.  I’m not sure you’ll need the Andersen with an Elite, other hitches don’t fit Olivers.   I know Bugeyedriver towed over 100K miles with a Tacoma.  You might want to PM him and ask.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I ordered the Andersen. Thought that I could carry it with me for the first few thousand miles - the trip home. I will have it for resale if I ever do.

thanks for the info, and my comfort with the Tacoma. I like the truck. Many people on the forum have been saying that the Tacoma is not enough truck. It is the heavy duty, tow package model, longer bed, four door.

John

• Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited