What do you use for "Caulks, Sealants, Adhesives" on your Ollie, when you Travel and when at Home.

SNY SD UP

To the Forum,

I have seen a number of Products mentioned, so I was wondering what do you ('all) carry with you when out on the Road and at Home when doing Routine Maintenance & Repair.

If you have any tools you have discovered to apply new or remove old, I would like you to mention those too. 

Especially interested what you might use to adhere to the inside/outside of the Glas surfaces.

Regards,

Bryan & Maggie,

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

To answer the first part of your question, we don't carry any caulk or sealants with us, on a regular basis. Many of the better ones are fairly expensive and only have a year or two shelf life, even unopened. Open, some need to be used as soon as opened, or maybe get a month or two with resealing and cool storage.  Storing them in a hot truck would accelerate the decline, and I'm not giving up fridge space for something we can buy at any marine store, or in some cases, a building supply, if we actually have a need.

We do carry a roll or two of duct tape,  which can be used in an emergency to seal a leak,  or seal off a suspected leak. Clear is nice for that. Doesn't stand out so much.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Being somewhat mechanical, I focus on caring the right tools for most repairs that I might need on the road. All this being said, I don't carry much in the way of repair, or replacement parts, just things like tapes, fuses, etc. I feel if something goes wrong I can go and purchase what I need for the repair, in most cases you are not going to have onboard what you would need if something breaks, or goes bad. Replacement wheel bearings are probably one thing that you should carry, even if you can't replace them yourself and a repair shop with parts in hand makes the job go much faster. There are very few things on a trailer that can't wait to be repaired at a later time, but anything to do with the wheels, etc. probably can't wait. This is just how I do, others carry much more and look at it in a different way. 

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.