Upgraded Shower and Bathroom Access Hatch

NCeagle

My mission after the first few camping trips was to install a better shower head in the Oliver.  I especially didn't like the fact that I had to turn the water off at the faucet handle and lose the setting.  Research turned up a highly regarded brand called High Sierra.  I searched for those on this forum as well and found that at least one person (Overland) has also upgraded to a High Sierra.  I chose the same ugly one with a nice new faucet but an even uglier diverter.  😄  

IMG_2745.thumb.jpg.68340515d32ca7aac7675780bded5be0.jpg

I also hope my wife doesn't notice that her washcloth holder is gone now.  😬  I decided that a permanent access hatch (DasMarine Marine Deck Access Hatch & Lid with Lock, White, 24" Length X 14" Width (606MM. Length X 353MM. Width) in it's place was a better value (at least to me!).  I can get at all my new valves now.

IMG_2741.thumb.jpg.a1e1f67096f41a6557bea5c3b0b2d068.jpg

IMG_2743.thumb.jpg.0c87ca8e49dc96a8b2a017d239fb89ab.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 10

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

In our older trailers, the shower and faucet were one unit. Scandvik marine hardware.

You lift the faucet out of the sink, and put it up on a hook. No diverter necessary.  Pretty common in boats, especially older ones like ours .

This will obviously work. But, you lose that precious bit of counterspace to the right of the faucet .

I do like the idea of the access panel. Now wondering if I  could modify the abs insert on ours. Probably not. It's not that strong. Not like your hatch.

I do agree, high Sierra is highly rated.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That's a great hatch.  I had wanted one for ours, but it was one of those wish list options that got lost in the shuffle during the build.  Instead, they gave me a round port on the closet side, which wasn't as nice, but it's enough to get an arm in and undo the trap if necessary, and more extensive work if you're super patient (I'm not).

Did you have trouble getting it to fit with the curved vanity front?  When I replaced my caddy, I was able to scribe the top and bottom and cut it to fit, more or less, to keep the caulk joint to a minimum.

When I redid my sink, part of it was installing a new vanity top, and so when I put the new one on, I used VHB velcro strips.  So now, I can undo the trap from the closet port, then lift up the counter for access.  I still have to cut the seal on the counter, just like with the caddy, but it gives me another option to make repairs if needed.  Getting that top off was some work, though.  I had to cut through the glue working from below with an oscillating saw for about two hours - did I mention that I'm not a patient person?

IMG_0017.thumb.jpeg.1fbb1d90f9016c3321bf2e122bf11372.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

In our older trailers, the shower and faucet were one unit. Scandvik marine hardware.

You lift the faucet out of the sink, and put it up on a hook. No diverter necessary.  Pretty common in boats, especially older ones like ours .

This will obviously work. But, you lose that precious bit of counterspace to the right of the faucet .

I do like the idea of the access panel. Now wondering if I  could modify the abs insert on ours. Probably not. It's not that strong. Not like your hatch.

I do agree, high Sierra is highly rated.

I will be on the lookout for a better faucet / diverter solution.  We really do like the high sierra showerhead so far, so that was the driving factor - not looks obviously.  Now that I have "standard" plumbing connections under the sink (and easier access), I'm hoping I can improve upon this over time.  I considered running something through the closet and creating a "dedicated" shower but I'd prefer something like what you are describing.  

• Like 1

States Visited Map

20 minutes ago, Overland said:

Did you have trouble getting it to fit with the curved vanity front?  

No - I was definitely worried about that so I made sure the hatch wasn't any wider than the current hole for the washcloth rack.  The hatch required exactly the same width and I only had to cut 1" off the top and 2" off the bottom.  The hatch is very sturdy and the fiberglass on that vanity is flexible enough that it worked out well.  No big gaps to caulk around the outside and just to be safe I ran a bead of 3M 4000 along the inside edge.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

Seeing the shower head changes reminded me that when I ordered our trailer I wasn’t real fond of the shower arrangement so had Oliver make a modification for me. I liked the idea of being able to select the shower head that I wanted and be able to replace it whenever. I used Shurflo brand “Trinidad” model shower diverter valve. Both bath/kitchen faucets are the same design for fewer parts inventory and are the Shurflo “Trinidad” type as well. 

9733064C-F801-4866-BC8F-F72855E70578.jpeg

F6E91E7F-9F95-4C56-BE61-85FA8046FF48.jpeg

485515FE-54FA-4FEE-ABE5-06204F323C65.jpeg

• Like 8

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

13 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

Seeing the shower head changes reminded me that when I ordered our trailer I wasn’t real fond of the shower arrangement so had Oliver make a modification for me. I liked the idea of being able to select the shower head that I wanted and be able to replace it whenever. I used Shurflo brand “Trinidad” model shower diverter valve. Both bath/kitchen faucets are the same design for fewer parts inventory and are the Shurflo “Trinidad” type as well. 

9733064C-F801-4866-BC8F-F72855E70578.jpeg

F6E91E7F-9F95-4C56-BE61-85FA8046FF48.jpeg

485515FE-54FA-4FEE-ABE5-06204F323C65.jpeg

Very nice indeed!  That would really simplify the mess I created with the diverter.  🙂

• Like 2

States Visited Map

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NCeagle said:

I will be on the lookout for a better faucet / diverter solution.  We really do like the high sierra showerhead so far, so that was the driving factor - not looks obviously.  Now that I have "standard" plumbing connections under the sink (and easier access), I'm hoping I can improve upon this over time.  I considered running something through the closet and creating a "dedicated" shower but I'd prefer something like what you are describing.  

The scandvik isn't a "looker," either.  But it works well. 

Except for the little knobs for controls, imo. They're difficult to operate with soapy hands. 

Screenshot_20201222-184239_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I really like the big hatch, and would do that mod except I need the existing cubby to hold a bottle of vinegar, for rinsing the Natures Head. Maybe if I can come up with another place for that bottle......

I have not yet ventured under the sink, it is on my Honey Do list, near the bottom. I sure wish these trailers came with hatches everywhere. But compared to stick and staple ones, they are fine, most of the time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I really like the big hatch, and would do that mod except I need the existing cubby to hold a bottle of vinegar, for rinsing the Natures Head. Maybe if I can come up with another place for that bottle......

I have not yet ventured under the sink, it is on my Honey Do list, near the bottom. I sure wish these trailers came with hatches everywhere. But compared to stick and staple ones, they are fine, most of the time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I moved quick before my wife could figure out what useful things to put in that cubby besides a washcloth.  We keep a small bottle of vinegar water in the small cabinet above the toilet for our Nature's Head.

States Visited Map

13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Except for the little knobs for controls, imo. They're difficult to operate with soapy hands. 

That’s the one that came on our Oliver.  My only complaint is the caps broke off the control knobs, otherwise it does the job.

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

• Moderators
13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

This what came on our trailer as well.  Works fine, can toggle on/off at the shower head.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 12/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, NCeagle said:

As a reminder, the spaghetti mess I created before I "used" @mountainoliver's idea and shower mixer...

And now with the same shower mixer as Mountainoliver...

IMG_2753.thumb.jpg.271bd12fcd42f7a398c3c599b0bb1ca6.jpg

Mountainoliver, the check's in the mail!  But... I don't know how to get anything delivered by the post office these days.  😉  

So glad I didn't have to rip the caddy out again - sure made this addition easy!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

States Visited Map

• Moderators

1.  The idea was good.

2.  The work and installation was great.

3.  The final product makes me want to spend my money and do the work too.

4.  And then he talks about how easy it is to make changes!  Not fair! 😭

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
12 hours ago, NCeagle said:
On 12/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, NCeagle said:

As a reminder, the spaghetti mess I created before I "used" @mountainoliver's idea and shower mixer...

Expand  

And now with the same shower mixer as Mountainoliver...

Wow, that looks great! What a difference you made with the addition of the mixer.

Congratulations on a job so very well done. 

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 12/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

Here's an idea for vinegar storage: Find a container for the vinegar that fits in one of these.  We have several different types and they work great.

@NCeagle I love these little hooks.  Use them on the new vanity access hatch or on the wall near the shower bracket for hanging washcloths.  Alternately, less expensive suction cup hooks would also work.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Here's an idea for vinegar storage: Find a container for the vinegar that fits in one of these.  We have several different types and they work great.

Do they stay attached on very bumpy roads with a full spray bottle (or beer can) inside?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

JD,  we don’t have any bumps in the eastern US that compare to your roads, but mine did hold a partially filled 16.9 ounce water bottle while hitting a bump crossing the Mississippi River that flipped a shackle on my easy flex.  How long would 8 ounce of vinegar last you if you just used it to spritz your NH?

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

12 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Do they stay attached on very bumpy roads with a full spray bottle (or beer can) inside?

John Davies

Spokane WA

We haven't tested them off pavement (or with a can of beer), but none have fallen off the wall during normal travel while loaded with a spray bottle or a bar of soap.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 1 year later...

So I just got the separate shower valves and a new shower head to do this mod. Can someone tell me what I am going to find when I take the towel rack/cubby out of the vanity.  I am assuming just 2 pex lines (hot and cold) with a valve going to a 1/2 inch NPT with supply lines to the faucet as pictured above. I am planning on adding a T to those vales and hopefully that will be it.  These will be the first big holes I have put in the fiberglass.  What is the preferred method for doing this.  I was going to use a hole saw on my drill.  Any other techniques or gotchas to be aware of. 

Thanks,

John

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

• Moderators

Would the additional photos in this thread help at all?

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4