12V DC plugs - what do you use them for?

mjrendon

What are some of uses that you have found for the 12V plugs? 

I have used it for charging AA and AAA batteries with a plug in charger and for a smaller computer (12v to 19V adaptor). 

I also have a 12V 130 WH battery pack that I can charge using 12V.

I tried a 12V electric blanket but it was underwhelming. 

Mike

• Moderators

small air compressor

Even though I had one installed near the 110 volt outlet on the exterior during my build, I could have used the ones on the interior and simply passed the cord to the exterior.  It makes for adjusting the tires on the Ollie much easier.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We use the one on the outside, far more than the two on the inside. 

We used to use one on the inside for a small (700 watt?) Inverter for a laptop. We really only use it for usb converters now.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

And yes, the outside one is mostly for an air compressor,  as topgun noted.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Imo, they're all weak on 12v. Better to get a good lithium battery vacuum,  like a Dyson, and charge when you have 110.

I have a 12vhair dryer. And a 12v blender. Neither really strong on 12v

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Imo, they're all weak on 12v. Better to get a good lithium battery vacuum,  like a Dyson, and charge when you have 110.

We’ve got the Dyson, works well and holds a charge.  Our appliances are 110 but when we’re without shore power we live a more simple life, using the inverter occasionally when we need power.  I use the 12V plug for the little air compressor and to charge my TPMS monitor when the battery is low and we’re not driving.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

25 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

We ordered two and found them to be too large and too noisy.

They do have an obnoxious wine to them. Still, they should be about 60 db lower than the AC 🤪

• Haha 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

The early Olivers had them I think in the top lip of the lower fridge vent, facing down. Oliver stopped putting them in for some reason after their production break. They put 2 on mine because I asked, back when they’d do things like that.  We get a good amount of use out of them - mostly for lights and charging phones.  I bought a Green Mountain grill this summer which runs in 12v, so I could use the outlets for that if I take it on a trip.

I think it would be a very easy thing to add if you’re handy and not shy of drilling a hole or two in your trailer. Mine are located next to the outside 120v outlet, or right near the water pump on the inside, and are easily accessed.  But I think I like the old location better.

Edited by Overland

• Moderators

Overland had it right. Our first gen Ollies had one outside dc outlet here:

20201224_084050.jpg

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The little white box located under the 110 volt outlet is where I had mine placed.  As Overland says - this was back when Oliver would do special requests while in production.  And, again as Overland says - this mod would not be very difficult to do yourself.

Bill

p.s.  sorry - not the best picture but look closely just in front of the water heater.

20171018_141808.jpg

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"