Campgrounds/boodocking sites along I40/southern Arkansas from Hohenwald to Los Angeles

JRK

Trying to plan the trip to pick up the new Oliver in March. Will probably take 2 weeks to get home from Hohenwald to Los Angeles via Stamps, Arkansas. My dad is buried in the Sardis Cemetery in Stamps. Haven't been there for a while. So will go to southern Arkansas, then home from there. Not in a rush. Trying to figure out I40 or I10 as the main route, with smaller roads okay. Will be going through Show Low in Arizona, and plan to pass through Santa Fe/northern New Mexico, depending upon weather. Otherwise, we are completely open to ideas and suggestions.

John

• Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

John,

I have used this app on an Android tablet for planning trips.  The pro version upgrade has a trip planner feature that works well for me.   I setup the start and finish locations and then I start looking for campsites.  Once I have campsites selected/arranged, I will choose fuel stops and rest areas. NOTE: There is also an IOS version of this app but I have not used it.  Once the trip is planned I can use the same tablet for navigation. The app links your stops nicely to both Google Maps and Waze.

You might also consider Harvest Hosts, which offers a membership program that invites self-contained RVers to have unique overnight stays.

RV Parks & Campgrounds by Parkadvisor

Cover art

Mike

Edited by mjrendon

Coming from Florida we usually do I-10 going out and a lot of 40 on returns but I would route both destinations and let the weather decide, you have no control over that part of the equation. Be safe and enjoy. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Thanks, Mike. I was not aware of that app. As it gets closer, I'll sign up for Harvest Hosts. They just almost doubled in price, but at $79, if we use it, it seems okay. I have never talked with anyone who has stayed at Harvest Host places much, so only have advertising info as an evaluation.

Yes, weather is the concern. I may end up just getting to I10 as quickly as possible.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

We are headed to the Bay Area from FLA early March, and plan to stick with I10 the entire run. I suspect we will be boondocking and using HH.  If it’s useful, we could let you know where we stayed. 
we head back East ( way way back East) to Maine in early April, and I’m assuming we will want to swing south on I10 to avoid the mountains but I’m not sure when to start to move North... 

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

We’ve been members of Harvest Hosts for two camping seasons now in our travels with our Oliver.   Well worth the money.   It’s been very useful for quick overnight stops on the way to our destinations, and some hosts have had a power hookup available.  Some great overnight stops to see things that we otherwise would have missed out on if we had just done the Walmart or Cabela’s parking lot overnight stays.  Nowhere near I40 but one example of a great HH stop is the Glenn Curtiss Aviation Museum in New York.  This was one of my favorite HH stops.  Otherwise a lot of wineries as HH stops.  We did get the upgraded membership that includes many golf courses as well.  We’ve been planning a trip out west for next year and there are a LOT of HH stops all along I40.  

08D13DF3-9EE0-4860-8C19-6D06D3543272.jpeg

52615BD3-0311-4E7A-B8BF-70F00AAFC79B.jpeg

D2028290-60BC-4552-AA0C-DBCFDA7078E4.jpeg

7A35D073-BC2B-4FC2-8637-A1255672862A.jpeg

061E688E-87F2-4B60-B682-47A9B7264A7C.jpeg

141F4268-058E-459A-AB82-59DA63510CEF.jpeg

2F235491-CDD8-4680-90F9-F9602884A10D.jpeg

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6

thanks for the suggestions. we signed up for harvest hosts, but have not yet used it. glad to hear that  people like it.

I would like to hear about any experiences, so yes, please let us know about where you stayed.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Congratulations & welcome!

We LOVE Harvest Hosts! The only place where we have stayed on your projected route is Paw Paw's Pecans in Atkins, Arkansas. It's not too far south of I-40.

Another great option for one-nighters is Cracker Barrel, especially after an unusually long drive day & cooking is the last thing you want to do.

20201019_160410.jpg

• Like 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

If you use the harvest host link from Technomadia's site, you'll receive a 20 per cent off code when the hh site opens. I don't know the expiration date.  https://www.technomadia.com/logistical-nomadic-resources/

They also list a number if boondocking opportunities and resources for you.

Chris and Chris (Technomadia) traveled and worked in their 2008 Oliver Elite for several years, and are rv innovators and researchers. Our original solar panel system used components vetted by them.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

@JRK On our return to Oregon from Hohenwald the first part of December, we took I-40 to Barstow, then US 58 to Tehachapi where we stayed at a nice little RV park situated on a small private airstrip where they have a glider flight school.  Unfortunately, we didn't arrive early enough to watch them fly. They also have a restaurant at the airport; it was take-out only meals.

Covid regulations restricted camping to self-contained RVs only; the bathroom/showers were closed.  They do have a dump station.  It's uncertain, in light of the tighter lock down in place now, what the situation will be in March.

I believe the nightly rate was $40 with water/electric.  

http://skylarknorth.com/RV PARK.htm

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

John,

For a place to stay, just off of I40, here's some campgrounds:

Santa Rosa SP NM & Homolovi SP AZ.

i-fW9x8Dg-M.jpg

i-C7LgRQ5-M.jpg

i-t4s69Jj-M.jpg

i-9XTh5J6-M.jpg

i-cHSdV6c-M.jpg

While camping at Homolovi SP AZ, we got to "Stand on the Corner at Winslow Arizona" and attend a car show:

i-RMmPMnb-M.jpg

i-nGdK33J-M.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 3

Bill #75 LE2

2 hours ago, rideandfly said:

John,

For a place to stay, just off of I40, here's some campgrounds:

Santa Rosa SP NM & Homolovi SP AZ.

i-fW9x8Dg-M.jpg

i-C7LgRQ5-M.jpg

i-t4s69Jj-M.jpg

i-9XTh5J6-M.jpg

i-cHSdV6c-M.jpg

While camping at Homolovi SP AZ, we got to "Stand on the Corner at Winslow Arizona" and attend a car show:

i-RMmPMnb-M.jpg

i-nGdK33J-M.jpg

Homolovi is really nice . . . . we were there in early June and there were Jack Rabbits everywhere.   If you stop, take the time to visit the ruins east of the campground.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Thank you Bill, Ray and Susan. I know of a park in Holbrook, but no other campgrounds between New Mexico and Flagstaff. I'll be stopping by Show Low to visit some dirt and pinon pines that I still own, drive through the Santa Fe area, depending upon snow (same with Show Low) and the petrified forest. Didn't know that Homolovi was a dark sky park - went to teh website. Been to Kartchner Caverns for a star party, and Grand Canyon, but didn't knowabout Homolovi. Now I do, and will see about stopping by there.

Good info.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758