Ollie model

John E Davies

• Moderators

Wow! Your son did an amazing job on the model. 

This made my day. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

JD,  Please let Ian know the how much we appreciated his efforts in creating such an excellent Christmas present for you.  He did an outstanding job.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 12/26/2020 at 4:24 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Wow, great job!  He should go into production, I’m sure there would be a demand!

3 D printing is most useful for a one-off prototype, or for making repair parts in the field (military) or in outer space, where a supplier is not readily available. it is way too time consuming and expensive for mass produced parts, that is what injection molding, die cast metal, and other methods are for. If the company wants to sell us Ollie trailer models in the future Ollie Store, they will have to have them mass produced in China by a toy manufacturer. An order of 100 would probably get the selling price down to a reasonable figure, I am guessing less than $100. A 3D printed one, with many hours and final hand trimming, unless you can do it yourself, would be way more than that. My son had a number of false starts before they got to this final version.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Being a model railroader and model builder I would purchase one for sure. I would think he could get $100 each that is unpainted as your model is. If he doesn't what to make them I'm sure if he would share the program with someone who would manufacture them they could do it. As far as sales go I personally don't think there would be a large demand for them, if your not into models that I don't really see Oliver owners buying them. Like I said, I would take one, I can detail one and make a top looking model out of the base model. Why not offer the base model and see what takers there might be, you can pickup some quick pocket change, but then again I have no idea on what the base cost is to manufacture one. 

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Love it. Bet it would sell in the Oliver Owners Store. Nice to look at, and take Home, after touring the plant and placing an order. Something to "Show and Tell" while waiting. A buy with the hat, mug, and vest...

Edited by Mainiac
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Bumping an older thread, just in time for Christmas presents. My son has NO desire to make more of these to sell, please do not ask again. If one of you has a 3D printer and wants to start doing so, feel free, and good luck. If you have any problems downloading the files, let me know.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This morning I got a new Land Cruiser 200 to go with “Mouse”. Thank you Ian!

5BEC8E5B-FB68-404B-9344-31BA6EDC822E.thumb.jpeg.5f6e387acf1133d4b950a8893250d51a.jpeg

1536FBE0-FA80-4C30-827B-B9C606B0B78B.thumb.jpeg.a0484ae82d5b9373aba770fb7db73631.jpeg

2EAE77DC-5687-404F-B48C-FC28E8B7ED62.thumb.jpeg.0373766d610ec30210fc5a47448266bb.jpeg

I hope everybody has a very satisfactory holiday season.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

• Moderators

Wow! He even got the snorkel. What a wonderful gift.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Oliver could benefit from the aerodynamic improvements made on the model:  Eliminating the vent and antenna from the frontal over the top primary flow zone, having the AC top slanted up a bit in the rear to reduce tongue weight at high speeds.  And it brings to mind suggesting that the front center high roof section could be expanded in width to allow the solar panels to hide full width behind it to also improve the aerodynamic efficiency... and give us a bit more ceiling height in the bath and closet too! 

..... me thinks at least one of us has too much time on our hands today!  🙂

Regardless... really cool modeling!   

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I think your son was astute in recognizing what pleases you.  I liked that you were humble in recognizing he now knows things you don't.  Been there... 🙂

Charlie

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

Being and model railroader I have purchased many of this companies model parts, etc. The company is Shapway, they will make 3D parts, etc. items you may want, they will do the design and give you quote on price, size will be a cost factor for sure. I feel you will need to furnish all the dimensions and may need approval from Oliver. working with Oliver would probably be your best way to get this done. Here is the website,   https://www.shapeways.com/?utm_campaign=search_branded_mobile&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bshapeways&msclkid=9522bbe42d0410f010c7da3730557a0d

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.