Electrical question

Dennis1

I have #672 was headed west but COVID has slowed  y plans. If I’m on AC power while I’m stuck lol do I have to worry about tripping breakers for running appliances, space heater at same time? I’m a novice on electrical issues. Do I need to keep everything under 2000 amps. I have solar and inverter.

HI Dennis1,

First off you have 2000 Watts not 2000 amps using the battery and inverter

Most space heaters are max of 1500 watts, So if you are connected to shore power of 30 amps, you should be able to run a space heater & or you furnace with no problem. If you are just on battery/solar you will have to be a bit carful on the power drain. I would just run the heater and when that is off it should be ok to run the Microwave. Leave the refrig. on LP.

I am sure others will give a better explanation in a short time. 

• Like 1

Sue & Harold

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

CAIDINIAKYMIMNMTNENVNDOHORSDTNUTWIWYmed.            

• Moderators

Depending on your batteries  chemistry,  you can't run a lot on ac.

Which batteries do you have?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Dennis1,

The Oliver Elite 2 has these 5 AC circuit breakers.

• Main 30 amp
  • A/C 20 amp
  • Fridge/Water Heater 20 amp
  • Microwave/AC Outlets 20 amp
  • Charger 15 amp

Whenever you are using AC power (shore, generator or battery and inverter) you can not exceed the draw on each circuit breaker. 

If you are running a space heater you will want to avoid using the microwave. Simply shut one off when the other is needed (or the breaker will flip). 

Mike 

image.png.bd1c82c36f8a4f3b4c1eb39309fc6eec.png

Edited by mjrendon
  • Thanks 1

Here is a chart (one of a gazillion out there) showing how much power in watts or amps various appliances consume. Since it is winter you do not have to worry about the air conditioner, it is a huge energy hog. Your water heater electric heating element, if you have one, and the fridge electric heater both use a lot of current. If you are hooked up to 30 amps, don’t worry about them, but if you are on a 15 amp circuit, you need to make sure both of those units are running off propane. Trip those breakers and make sure the propane is turned on and working.

https://optingoutofnormal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PDF-RV-APPLIANCE-POWER-CONSUMP.pdf

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Dennis1 said:

Thanks lol my lack of knowledge on this subject is obvious ,I’ll  just use space heater when by itself, can I keep fridge on AC with space heater running one comment said put it on LP

If you are on shore power (30 amp electrical hookup) you can run your space heater, hot water tank and fridge on AC. 

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 12/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, Dennis1 said:

I have #672 was headed west but COVID has slowed  y plans. If I’m on AC power while I’m stuck lol do I have to worry about tripping breakers for running appliances, space heater at same time? I’m a novice on electrical issues. Do I need to keep everything under 2000 amps. I have solar and inverter.

I believe the water heater and outlets are on different breakers.  Just don't run two space heaters at one time.  When we did this, it didn't trip the Oliver breaker, but it did trip the extension cord overload breakers while connected to home 20 amp circuit.  Probably not a problem if you are connected to 30amp power with not extension cord.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 12/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, John E Davies said:

Here is a chart (one of a gazillion out there) showing how much power in watts or amps various appliances consume. Since it is winter you do not have to worry about the air conditioner, it is a huge energy hog. Your water heater electric heating element, if you have one, and the fridge electric heater both use a lot of current. If you are hooked up to 30 amps, don’t worry about them, but if you are on a 15 amp circuit, you need to make sure both of those units are running off propane. Trip those breakers and make sure the propane is turned on and working.

https://optingoutofnormal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PDF-RV-APPLIANCE-POWER-CONSUMP.pdf

John Davies

Spokane WA

Looks like running the space heater is fine on 20amp, but not concurrently with the water heater on electric.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg