Rear camera installation

Jps190

On 2/2/2021 at 10:12 AM, John E Davies said:

How well is the GM camera port sealed when its cable is plugged into it? The standard round one is open to water and road grit, and since that is a low pressure area, all the road spray gets sucked into that spot.

Something to research and consider maybe? At the very least, buy a can of electrical contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, and spray both parts regularly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

The camera plug has 2 o-rings on it so it should be water tight.

IMG_2364.jpeg

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

1 hour ago, Jps190 said:

The camera plug has 2 o-rings on it so it should be water tight.

That is pretty nice, not one but two orings, I am impressed. You should still carry a proper solvent ...  CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner  ...   to spray it and the receptacle to get rid of external crud that might tear those pretty rings, and find some replacement orings that will fit, for your spares kit. Sometimes you really do get a much better product by paying extra for an OEM accessory. Not always though, for example an OEM Toyota Ball mount and ball is $$$$ and not much different from a $20 one from Amazon in quality.

Thanks for posting that pic!

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

21 hours ago, Jps190 said:

That’s what Glocks are for. 😉

I know that was said with a wink, but are you fully aware of all the carry laws? If you don't already have an app, this one is very excellent, and there is an Android version. It has an easy to understand map showing where your permit(s) are valid, and it is updated at least monthly.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I know that was said with a wink, but are you fully aware of all the carry laws? If you don't already have an app, this one is very excellent, and there is an Android version. It has an easy to understand map showing where your permit(s) are valid, and it is updated at least monthly.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes I am aware.  Unfortunately it is quite difficult to deal with those 4 westernmost states.  Georgia has reciprocity with most places I will be going but I will have to find a solution to deal with CA,OR,WA and NV.

John

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

48 minutes ago, Jps190 said:

Yes I am aware.  Unfortunately it is quite difficult to deal with those 4 westernmost states.  Georgia has reciprocity with most places I will be going but I will have to find a solution to deal with CA,OR,WA and NV.

You are pretty much screwed when visiting CA and OR, the latter does issue non-resident permits, but you have to visit in person one of the few friendly county (rural Eastern OR) sheriffs who are willing to do that, and you have to also renew it in person after four years. Which is kinda difficult if you live 3000 miles away as you do....  You should check out theUtah Non Resident Concealed Carry Permit, it is easy to get and renew by mail, as long as you take and pass a certified beginner’s shooting class (they require a signed certificate when you apply). It is good in WA and NV, plus NE which is not on your list. That is a lot of hassle and expense for just three more states....Here is a screen shot of the states that honor your GA permit.

DDE02CC6-C296-4955-9795-BF4D90C9E604.thumb.png.6565d1add26db60047a8e5b6e6a52f61.png

And here is the UT map:

F16511E3-BDE6-471E-9EA2-8124CE70F36D.thumb.png.1a80aee87be942045ec0b9f9936c36b2.png

I have both a WA permit and a UT non-resident one, and I try to travel just where they honor them. Keep in mind, a WHOLE bunch of western states allow open carry, though some cities restrict it by local ordinance. When you are boondocking or hiking in the mountains, use a side holster and don’t cover your gun when you are around anybody. When I open carry, it is with a Ruger SP101 .327 Federal Magnum in a tan leather OWB holster, since it is bright stainless steel it looks fairly innocuous and not at all “scary” to the uninformed onlooker. But it is big medicine for human and smaller animal predators with the right ammo, it has about 500 ft lbs muzzle energy.  You need something a lot bigger for a remote camp, a .44 Mag or bigger long gun works. ... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1994-how-to-santa-cruz-locking-shotgun-mount-in-the-closet/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Spokane WA

812B14EA-3F28-4FEF-BF4C-EAFC4B80AC2D.jpeg

1331B6F5-AA45-4D3F-86B2-0E63E5EBE650.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies

On 12/30/2020 at 4:41 AM, John E Davies said:

I have to smile at this. I always turn mine on when towing,  even in sunlight.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I do as well.  Having the ability of turning on the rear view camera during the day is handy as well.   It has answered my question of "What is that idiot doing behind me".  Just turning on the trailer lights give him/her a warning as well.  More than once it was a 47 HP VW Bug drafting behind Ollie.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@ JD:  

We think alike.  I carry the Ruger SP-101 for hiking, but modified it to have larger grips.  For larger targets is the Winchester Defender (Pump)  12 GA Magnum.  If needed, I have an Utah permit as well.    

That said, this is a bit off topic.....

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Good News. I've got the 2020 GMC Sierra with the "invisible trailer" software. I talked to Mike in service and he said they've had a number of requests for an install of this GMC camera. The camera  mounts on the rear tire cover so it's at the same level as the camera in the tailgate, then the cable runs through the hull and plugs into the rear bumper. Mike said they discussed it and now can do that install. My trailer is in production now, and will go straight over to service so they can install the camera. I already bought the camera at a GMC dealer and will FedEx it out to Mike.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• 1 month later...

Update: As far as I know, IL_Travelers and I are the only ones with this relatively new GM rear trailer camera. Service did a great job installing it but not through the hull as I had anticipated. They ran it from the rear curbside channel between the hull and frame, alongside the propane line. 

If anyone is considering getting a GM product as a two vehicle, I highly recommend getting the trailering package which includes the software for the rear camera. It functions very well because it not only shows what's behind but also what's along the sides (from cameras in the vehicle side mirrors), the blind spots, which takes a lot of the stress out of trailering. 

• Like 3

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, Cameron said:

I've got the 2020 GMC Sierra with the "invisible trailer" software. I talked to Mike in service and he said they've had a number of requests for an install of this GMC camera.

Newbie here with first post. We're thinking of buying an F-150 with a similar feature set (invisible trailer, rear-view camera, etc). Does anyone know if Oliver will install the Ford version of their wired rear-view camera? I'm trying to determine Ollie options to order before our factory tour in a couple of weeks.

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

• Moderators

Chances are fairly good that Oliver will not do this install during the normal production of an Oliver.  However, the Service Department does do "custom" work such as this camera install.  If ordering a new Oliver and you're interested in this type of thing, it would be good to consult with the Service Department early on in the ordering process to determine if they can help and what the costs might be.  Good luck.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 2/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, John E Davies said:

You are pretty much screwed when visiting CA and OR, the latter does issue non-resident permits, but you have to visit in person one of the few friendly county (rural Eastern OR) sheriffs who are willing to do that, and you have to also renew it in person after four years. Which is kinda difficult if you live 3000 miles away as you do....  You should check out theUtah Non Resident Concealed Carry Permit, it is easy to get and renew by mail, as long as you take and pass a certified beginner’s shooting class (they require a signed certificate when you apply). It is good in WA and NV, plus NE which is not on your list. That is a lot of hassle and expense for just three more states....Here is a screen shot of the states that honor your GA permit.

DDE02CC6-C296-4955-9795-BF4D90C9E604.thumb.png.6565d1add26db60047a8e5b6e6a52f61.png

And here is the UT map:

F16511E3-BDE6-471E-9EA2-8124CE70F36D.thumb.png.1a80aee87be942045ec0b9f9936c36b2.png

I have both a WA permit and a UT non-resident one, and I try to travel just where they honor them. Keep in mind, a WHOLE bunch of western states allow open carry, though some cities restrict it by local ordinance. When you are boondocking or hiking in the mountains, use a side holster and don’t cover your gun when you are around anybody. When I open carry, it is with a Ruger SP101 .327 Federal Magnum in a tan leather OWB holster, since it is bright stainless steel it looks fairly innocuous and not at all “scary” to the uninformed onlooker. But it is big medicine for human and smaller animal predators with the right ammo, it has about 500 ft lbs muzzle energy.  You need something a lot bigger for a remote camp, a .44 Mag or bigger long gun works. ... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1994-how-to-santa-cruz-locking-shotgun-mount-in-the-closet/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Spokane WA

812B14EA-3F28-4FEF-BF4C-EAFC4B80AC2D.jpeg

1331B6F5-AA45-4D3F-86B2-0E63E5EBE650.jpeg

The Last time I was out West I forgot what state. We came to a check point and they were more concerned if i was carrying fire wood not weapons😎

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

I agree.

And, if we can, could we keep this thread more about rear cameras?

Thanks in advance.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.