Generator for 2021 and beyond

Perhaps this has already been answered; however, I will add two photos of our EU2200i Honda showing the 6' cord that just arrived and the grounding plug from Amazon.  There is plenty of room for both.  Our LEII will be ready May 17, 2021 and we have been getting ready little by little; bought the Honda genset months ago and converted to propane.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.07.44 p.m..png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.08.14 p.m..png

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

2 hours ago, IL_Travelers said:

Perhaps this has already been answered; however, I will add two photos of our EU2200i Honda showing the 6' cord that just arrived and the grounding plug from Amazon.  There is plenty of room for both.  Our LEII will be ready May 17, 2021 and we have been getting ready little by little; bought the Honda genset months ago and converted to propane.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.07.44 p.m..png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.08.14 p.m..png

Thank you for the photos.  I have been wanting to confirm that the neutral ground plug and Oliver power cord w/adapter will fit side by side on the Honda 2200i generator, but haven't been able to find one in a store to compare.  Now, with all the severe weather power outages across the US, I don't have hopes of finding one, even to order online, any time soon.

Your generator looks like those on the market now.  They appear to have a black cover over the receptacles where the generator pictured in @Minnesota Oli's post, probably and older one(?), does not.  And what is the 6' cord you purchased?  It must be an adapter, but with a standard three-prong plug on the end of a short cord.  Does the Oliver power cord plug into the other end?  This option gives you more room for the two plugs side by side than using the larger adapter, again as in @Minnesota Oli's example.

The Neutral ground plug you are using is the same one we have.

BTW: I did find the Honda 2200i available online from Camping World, but Lowe's is out of stock and I found "short supply" of them at Home Depot in Corvallis, OR, but is pickup in store only.  Our son lives there; might have to ask him to purchase it for us or make the 3hr drive to pick it up.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

44 minutes ago, SteveCr said:

You might try this Honda dealer....a bit pricey but will ship to a home.

• Cycle Country Honda
  • 4764 Portland Rd NE   Salem, OR 97305-1760

https://cyclecountryhonda.powerdealer.honda.com

image.thumb.png.00f6b1395df606c2bceed912ae935c18.png

Thanks for the tip.  Probably not a chance they have one in stock with the current power outages, although a 2200w generator isn't much good in a residential setting.

The price is the same as other vendors; not sure about shipping cost.  I'm going to call them and check on it.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Parkworld 691968C Shore Power Adapter Cord Household 15A Male 5-15P to L5-30R RV:Camper:Marine 30A F.webarchive

This is the cord we bought on Amazon.  It was recommended on this forum!  Since we do not yet have our Oliver ("R-Villa") which is to be picked up on May 17, I cannot confirm is the same size.  However, since this was recommended here, and looks the same as my previous trailer's 30 amp connection, I am confident it will work.

I bought the Honda here in Morton, IL, months ago when they were on the shelf at our local construction supply company.  That company always gives stellar service; important to me at the time.  Then I installed the Hutch Mountain LP conversion myself, which negated the Honda warranty!  So much for their stellar service!  Oh, well, they are nice guys, and prefer to purchase locally as much as possible.

And yes, it does have the flap cover, which I was holding up with the screwdriver in the previous photo.

• Thanks 1

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

I bought my Hondas from Northern Tool and the new 2200's have the rubber flap covering the outlets and are bluetooth.  It is a cool feature that you can see how much the AC draws when it cycles and as you turn things off and on.   I purchased both the 2200 and the companion.  I know it was over kill but having 2 has already been handy when power outages affected myself and my neighbors.   I was able to loan one to him and having 2 kids with families I already see when one might turn up missing and I will have to track it down.   Northern Tool shipped right t my house.  I just went to their website and Northern tool has them available .

Edited by gatorewc
  • Thanks 2

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Susan not sure if you found what you were looking for or not. I saw this one at a local camp store today when we went to purchase a heater screen. 

F6E30763-BEFC-43F6-A7CD-2C2E5D0BFCD4.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have a 2019 Oliver Elite 2 with the Easy start.  Just purchased a Honda 2200i generator.   I have installed the grounding plug.  The generator will start the AC fan but not kick on the compressor to make cold air.  Other 110 appliances are off when trying to start the AC.  Could the Easy Start be defective?  Any suggestions as to what to try?

2 hours ago, wlonghurst said:

I have a 2019 Oliver Elite 2 with the Easy start.  Just purchased a Honda 2200i generator.   I have installed the grounding plug.  The generator will start the AC fan but not kick on the compressor to make cold air.  Other 110 appliances are off when trying to start the AC.  Could the Easy Start be defective?  Any suggestions as to what to try?

I run my AC off an older Honda 2000i with no problem.   We have a 2021 Oliver Elite 2 with Dometic 11k BTU, installed the EZ Start myself.   The EZ Start manual advises your generator is more than adequate, but don’t run it in Eco mode.   It takes a few minutes after the fan starts for the compressor to kick in, so be patient.   The manual also has a good troubleshooting section. 

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

@wlonghurst, does your ac work on a 15 amp 110 connection, at home?

How long does it take to kick on the compressor?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 1:48 AM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I did notice, looking at the specs, that the Yamaha has a different engine.  I'm curious to hear if others have the same complaint. @John E Davies???

As for the Honda 2200, does it require a neutral ground plug so the Oliver's on board surge protector will not cut the power to the trailer due to a ground fault (open ground) error (I don't recall the "E-code")?  If the neutral ground plug is needed, is there room for it to plug into the generator outlet not being used by the power cord?  The two Honda receptacles seem to be close together.

I like that the Yamaha has a 30 amp receptacle so an adapter isn't necessary to plug in the trailer's power cord and that it has a fuel gauge   (I don't believe the Honda does),  The dual carrying handles are a nice feature, too.

Edit - I just had a thought: perhaps the delay in availability of the Yamaha 2200i indicates they are revising it (more HP?) to eliminate this problem, if that makes any sense.

Late to respond here but to answer your question directly - yes, the 2200  does require a "neutral ground plug".  I use a cube tap (available at any hardware store and in attached file through Amazon) into one of the 20amp plugs, where I can plug in both the 20a to 30a cord adapter to the trailer and the neutral ground plug

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

I do have the Honda 2200i.  Great generator but...  Were I to do it all over again, I'd get one like the Yamaha shown above.  The Honda will run the air conditioning all day long with no problem but it was a pricey unit and requires a pricey conversion kit to run off propane.  Carrying a small gas can and that generator takes up as much space and probably weighs not much less then the Yamaha dual fuel.  That unit can run off propane when appropriate (lower altitudes) without the stink of the gas can.  

• Like 2

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package