EXCELLENT Lithium resource, and heat management discussion

John E Davies

“To sum up, for long and happy LFP battery life, in order of importance, you should be mindful of the following:

1. Keep the battery temperature under 45 Centigrade (113 deg F), under 30C (86 deg F) if possible – This is by far the most important!!
  2. Keep charge and discharge currents under 0.5C (0.2C preferred)
  3. Keep battery temperature above 0 Centigrade when discharging if possible – This, and everything below, is nowhere near as important as the first two
  4. Do not cycle below 10% – 15% SOC unless you really need to
  5. Do not float the battery at 100% SOC if possible
  6. Do not charge to 100% SOC if you do not need it”

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

Does the Oliver factory lithium option have any features to help cool the batteries, other than having no vents and some insulation inside the compartment door?

Any idea how hot the inside of the box gets on a 110 degree day in direct sunshine? Have you considered the importance of keeping that side of the trailer in shade during extreme sunny weather?

If you tend to not run the air conditioning, maybe you should consider using it more often, and starting earlier in the day.

The onboard battery management system will prevent charging at a certain high temp (135 deg F for Battle Born) but keeping it well below that amount seems to be pretty important.

I am working on a powered fan vent system for the box and the two electronics compartments on that side of the trailer. The design of the LE2 box, with two nested cubes and the pantry sitting on top, traps heat like an oven. Venting might also reduce the temp inside the pantry.... I drilled my first set of holes yesterday 😳😳😳

F8A72DAC-6780-4B96-8B5D-9D2C938FC73C.thumb.jpeg.2bb8424d7ae4d39e66fb6f78975dd566.jpeg

32089343-FFAD-4937-B084-90DF17E6C501.thumb.jpeg.ce0010b46bb0e3886671e9ef5b114165.jpegIt sure would be nice to have a way to actively chill the batteries, but I can’t imagine any practical way to do that in an RV.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• The title was changed to EXCELLENT Lithium resource, and heat management discussion
44 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Does the Oliver factory lithium option have any features to help cool the batteries, other than having no vents and some insulation inside the compartment door?

No.

46 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Any idea how hot the inside of the box gets on a 110 degree day in direct sunshine? Have you considered the importance of keeping that side of the trailer in shade during extreme sunny weather?

I hope to never find out, but pretty darn hot I'll bet!  I'd rather be in a blizzard in the Rockies than in the desert at 110F!  I'll keep my Ollie shaded in the garage if it's that hot outside.  😃

50 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

F8A72DAC-6780-4B96-8B5D-9D2C938FC73C.thumb.jpeg.2bb8424d7ae4d39e66fb6f78975dd566.jpeg

Cool idea!  Can't wait to see how it turns out!

While driving the pre-existing vents will keep the compartment "chilled" and for camping in heat I'm thinking maybe I'll first try a small DC fan or set of fans (similar to the nature's head fan) to move air in and out of the pre-existing vents that I have temporarily plugged up for the winter.  I need some real life temperature data before I start drilling and venting inside just yet.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

“To sum up, for long and happy LFP battery life, in order of importance, you should be mindful of the following:

1. Keep the battery temperature under 45 Centigrade (113 deg F), under 30C (86 deg F) if possible – This is by far the most important!!

In south Texas our afternoon temps are above 86 for at least 6 months out of 12 and high 90’s for at least 3 months.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

NCeagle, FYI 110 degrees F outside air temp is not uncommon in summer in much of the West, not just in the SW desert. 

I try very very  hard to avoid those southern deserts in the middle of the year. Moab UT is stunning, but no place to be from July though Sep. I don’t even know how people can live in Phoenix.....

You can’t always avoid blistering heat. All you can do is run the AC and bail out to a motel if it gets too hard for you or your pet.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Much of my wife's family and my oldest son live in phoenix - I think they just experienced a large succession (143) of days 100 plus, and 34 above 110.  Not for me....... I head to elevation when we visit. 

The Oliver lithium package may need a dedicated cooler in that temp set.  

Now the winter season - perfect.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close, I have all the vent holes cut, and I mounted the fan in the bottom of the battery box. I have some wiring left to finish before I can test it and see how much actual airflow I get . There will be several install threads in a while....

B9037D2A-5893-429A-84F3-DB3CFCE0DD35.thumb.jpeg.687441d2bf5a07b39cccee5be839eba2.jpeg

5C0538F7-3A93-4250-AE0D-2D2D6F3AC411.thumb.jpeg.5c3a4fb6cb1f48cea26c1f15f42390d9.jpeg

Before anyone asks, the four posts sticking up are grab handles for pulling the fan plate free from the velcro for cleaning or servicing.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• Moderators

I took the liberty of moving all the comments on velcro types to a new thread. Since many of us use Velcro (and other hook and loop fasteners), I thought it might need a stand alone thread.

Velcro comments continue here:

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.