Light Painting

technomadia

Chris and I are currently camped in southern California with our friend, Ben Willmore (http://www.whereisben.com). Ben is known world wide for his photography and Photoshop skills. He's a technomad like us, traveling around teaching and writing about Photoshop.

Last night, he decided that the Oliver Travel Trailer is so awesomely cool looking that it needed be photographed with a technique called 'light painting':

3418064669_e3dcc48f8e.jpg

This was done with nothing more than various colored flashlights, which Ben used to draw the lines and captured with long exposures. We took 65 different images. He then used Photoshop to layer the various shots to make this image. He made it look easy anyway.

Now there's a new way of viewing an Oliver :D

We had a blast doing these with him.

• Moderators

That's beautiful!

Your friend is an amazing artist. (And how did you two both manage stand still so long, through over 60 photos...?)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Whoa! Way too cool! When I was in photography classes, we had a similar assignment, however nothing as complex as this! We didn't have photoshop either, we had to keep exposing the same frame of film over and over with the various lights and never knew until we developed the film in the darkroom whether we had a working image or not! After one stage of lighting, we had to put the lenscap over the lens to block light until we were ready for the next stage. Fun and challenging! Your friend did a great job! I just got CS3, so maybe I need to start challenging myself again! Thanks for sharing! Geri (earthdancer)

Wow, that is a nice interpretation of you two and your Oliver! Your friend, Ben, does good work. As with Earthdancer, this reminds me of photography and drawing classes quite some time ago (for me, at least). No Photoshop: just covering the lens of the film camera in between short bursts of drawing with flashlights and/or candles. In this connection, I am still in awe of the way Picasso did this back in 1949, "light painting" complete images of bulls, bullfights, etc. in just one take, with one continuous line.

Steve

• Moderators

What a great image of you both and your trailer. It's retro-like / futuristic / fun / inspiring / just overall perfect! The most imaginative Ollie portrait I've seen. :D Thanks for sharing it with us.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+

That photo reminds of the hours I used to spend in a darkroom manipulationg a negative or multiple negatives to get shots like that. Sometimes, we would go out at night and take time exposures like this one below. Today, with Photoshop, you can do it all with your computer. Very nice...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg