Elite 2 tire change jack requirements.

We are in the queue to pickup our Elite 2 this summer which seams a painfully long way in the future still. Nonetheless we are busy accumulating items we know we will need to show up with when we journey from Vancouver WA to Tennessee to pick our new home up. 
From  what I have learned Oliver does not supply a jack for the purpose of changing a flat tire on the trailer. I was hoping I could get some advise from current owners on what the best option is for this. I have a 4 ton bottle jack that has a max height in the 14 inch range. Would that suffice? Is a scissor type jack a better option? 
We look forward to becoming part of the wonderful Oliver family and appreciate the guidance of experience. This will not be the last of my questions for sure😉.

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

I have a Baja style high lift jack from Pro Eagle that can lift the trailer pretty handily. But honestly, I think using it to press the down button on the stabilizer is much more of a hassle than just using your finger.  😜

Edited by Overland
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

If you need to change a tire just use the onboard jacks.  Put some blocks under the jack to limit the travel and go for it.  I just got four new tires at Discount Tire and we used my onboard jacks, one side at a time, to get ‘er done.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Over the years I have not had all that many situations where I needed to lift the tires (one side at a time) off the ground.  In all but one situation I have used the onboard jacks/stabilizers for this purpose.  However, there was one situation when I used the jack included with my tow vehicle.  With all of my campers owned previous to the Oliver, I simply used a 4 ton bottle jack.  If you decide to use the bottle jack, consider preparing a block of wood to accept the rather small head of the jack.  Not only does this help prevent the head of the jack from slipping but it also helps distribute the load over a greater surface area when jacking.

Bill

p.s. (edit) also consider carrying something that can be used to raise the jack higher towards the frame and/or reduce the distance from the jack/stabilizer(s) to the ground.  This "something" can be as simple as a couple of 1 or 2 by 6 boards or 6x6 blocks.

Edited by topgun2
added info
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I believe I get the idea. I’ll bring the bottle jack along even though it is unlikely to ever leave the box. It will be there just in case there is a surprise inspection by the “proper use of the stabilizers” police😉.

Thank you all so much and stay tuned for future cries for help.

Mike

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

• 6 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, Naegele said:

SafeJack sells various bottle Jacks and accessories.  I carry a basic 5 ton bottle jack and a frame cradle attachment to keep the jack from slipping off the frame jacking area.

9BC7A9D9-9D62-4ED3-ACBD-8D962164FAF4.jpeg

On 1/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, topgun2 said:

Over the years I have not had all that many situations where I needed to lift the tires (one side at a time) off the ground.  In all but one situation I have used the onboard jacks/stabilizers for this purpose.  However, there was one situation when I used the jack included with my tow vehicle.  With all of my campers owned previous to the Oliver, I simply used a 4 ton bottle jack.  If you decide to use the bottle jack, consider preparing a block of wood to accept the rather small head of the jack.  Not only does this help prevent the head of the jack from slipping but it also helps distribute the load over a greater surface area when jacking.

Bill

p.s. (edit) also consider carrying something that can be used to raise the jack higher towards the frame and/or reduce the distance from the jack/stabilizer(s) to the ground.  This "something" can be as simple as a couple of 1 or 2 by 6 boards or 6x6 blocks.

I was under the impression that the stabilizers were not suggested for this.  Oliver pick up day briefing was when I first heard as much.  I am looking to rotate my tires and would love to use the stabilizers  to get it done.  Problem is, I'd have to do both sides at the same time.  Assuming I put  6" blocks under the stabalizers and do adequate equivalent to chocking (mabey leaving the unit hitched to TV with E brake set and wheels chocked) does this seem prudent?

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

Oliver used to say, no worries, lift the tires completely off the ground, then the lawyers stepped in and suddenly it was “stabilize only”. The same thing happened with the generator tray, it suddenly became a cargo tray - “You’ll gas yourself!”…. Use your common sense, nothing has changed about how the jacks are installed. Just keep everybody out from under the axles and frame, so if something should fail, it won’t kill you. When taking off wheels, consider adding four low jack stands to support the axles, so the shackles do not flip over center. That can be problematic to correct. These work well. (Never actually jack the trailer from the axles.)

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/jack-stands/3-ton-aluminum-jack-stands-91760.html

I did not say this, forget I said this. Do not do this…… Never take a risk. You will shoot your eye out!

“Unjust laws exist; shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once?” Henry David Thoreau

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, Mike and Carol said:

If you need to change a tire just use the onboard jacks.  Put some blocks under the jack to limit the travel and go for it.  I just got four new tires at Discount Tire and we used my onboard jacks, one side at a time, to get ‘er done.  Mike

Did the same at Discount Tire, never getting under any part of the trailer,  leaving TV connected lifting one side of trailer at a time. 

• Like 1

LE2