Desert Heat

Steven

Hello. Deposit is done and build sheet as well. Pickup in July. I placed an order for an elite 2 early fall. I will bE using my camper for bird dog trials. 2-3 night stays. Also for summer trips with my lovely wife. Is the 11k a/c unit adequate for 90-100Degree days? I will have a generator capable of running the ac unit. My main concern is the heat. I apologize if my questions seem trivial. I have never used a forum before and am a bit challenged with my technical abilities. Please advise.

• Moderators

Steven - 

Depending on how much shade you are getting, the ac should be able to cool the interior down anywhere from 15 to 20 degrees below the exterior ambient temperature.  Obviously, it also reduces the humidity.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks sir. Shade is hard to come by here. Oliver sent me a chart comparing 11k to 13.5k they were close in performance. This will be my first travel trailer. Other manufacturers only put 15k in units in this area. I pray the Oliver’s construction will allow me to cool it properly. I know if I can get 20 degrees off of 95 I will be ok. Just studying up on all issues.

Welcome to the forum. Where do you live? Where do you plan to camp? What truck? We need dog pictures. 😉

If you can’t easily find shade on blistering hot days, you should not pick the lithium battery option, those very expensive batteries can be damaged by long term exposure to excessive heat. Buy the AGMs, or if you are OK with the hassle of maintaining them monthly, the regular “wet” lead acid batteries.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hello sir. Thanks for responding. I live in midland Texas. Our trials are March and April in spring and September through December in fall. Trials are held in remote locations. Usually no hookups. Shade seldom available. Have seen events temps reach 95. Have stayed with 2 wetcell batteries as you are correct battery life here is short. I also will be traveling to upstate New York for vista with relatives. Not too concerned about high temps in New York. Very sure the 4 seasons trailer is best for me. I am a little technically challenged. Would love to show photos of my dogs just not sure how to get it done. Appreciate response.

7FF9C8FC-5EC9-4277-8DEF-856667E80F70.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderator+

That's a very good looking dog. Is it an English Pointer?

We travel with three dogs. We find that in warmer temps, if we need to be away from them for shorter (one to two hours) periods of time it's best to leave them in the trailer with the air conditioner running on the generator. In colder weather, under the same time constraints, we just leave the furnace on low. We've been doing it this way for 13 years and it has never been a problem.

Here's Reacher, Rocky and Lucy...

DSC_5857-1.thumb.JPG.33228222ec9d43c1d54aa5a942b586fe.JPGIMG_4394.thumb.JPG.a5d5ebb44e06def99b4f3f78a1fa4df5.JPGDSC_6276.thumb.JPG.5e9dd08d4ed9cd72ffa4baa99f706dc1.JPG

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The dog in photo is a German shorthair. His name is Grits. We have 4 that compete. I had a custom insulated dog box built for my pickup flatbed. They each have a box. The pickup is a Duramax. I planned for a tow behind camper so we could stay on the fields instead of going to motels each night. Been planning for this for a long time as I approach retirement. I cannot wait to get my trailer!

Here are a couple of field-trails-wanabees that love to travel in our Elite II.  They’re English Setters for the non-bird dog audience.  We hunt ruffed grouse together.  

6179F5E1-221C-4979-8F54-D78F6087AAC8.jpeg

• Like 5

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderator+

Our AC will freeze you out of the trailer.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

12 hours ago, Steven said:

Very nice. Dies your ac keep up in the summer heat?

Easily.  Even in 90 degree temps I think you could hang meat inside.  The issue is the noise from the AC.  Kicking in an out during the night isn’t very restful.  We shut it off whenever possible.  The ability to control humidity is what we enjoy the most.

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

2 hours ago, KenB said:

Easily.  Even in 90 degree temps I think you could hang meat inside.  The issue is the noise from the AC.  Kicking in an out during the night isn’t very restful.  We shut it off whenever possible.  The ability to control humidity is what we enjoy the most.

KenB,

What is this noise you speak of? 😂😂 I sleep like a bear! Beautiful pups by the way! Love setters and grew up grouse hunting!

EB4A5824-DFE4-448C-B96D-DE0F3249EB6C.png

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Hello. Another question is about awnings. I have ordered awnings for both sides of trailer. Did not order remote or Pro model. Approximately how far out from trailer do they go when fully extended? Please advise.

From the specifications page: "Full 8’ projection (on sizes 10’ & Up)"

https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com/product-details/gg-750-rv-awning-71

• Thanks 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. Questions regarding solar. I will have a generator and 2-12 volt wet cells. Most trips will be no more than 3 days without hookups. Will I be able to maintain? If not can I hook up suitcase solar with alligator clips to maintain batteries charge. I wish Oliver would allow solar hookup without rooftop panels. Please advise.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Steven said:

Will I be able to maintain?

As with a bunch of things, the answer to your question is - "it depends".  

In this case the "it depends" is - how much energy do you use?  If you are conservative with your energy usage - don't leave lights on, don't use a bunch of fans, hair dryers, heat (the blower takes electricity), don't run the water pump too much, etc., etc., then you certainly should be OK for 3 days.

Yes you can hook up a suitcase solar panel with clips - just be sure that the panels have a charge controller.

Oliver does "allow" solar hookup without rooftop panels - simply have an exterior solar port installed either during production or by the Service Department after delivery.

The key to the whole "solar thing" and "battery usage thing" is to know and/or manage your energy consumption.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Steven, if you have a properly sized generator (ideally at least 2200 watts) hooked up for running the AC, it will also bring your batteries to full charge by the time you shut it down. If your generator is just barely adequate you may want to start it thirty minutes before you switch on the AC, so the converter (onboard battery charger) will have enough time to mostly charge them before the other load kicks in. Depleted batteries will make the converter draw more power. 

For your type of camping, in no shade, rooftop solar should be your very first choice!!! A portable panel is most useful for those times the roof isn’t exposed, like under a tree. If you don’t want the full solar package, with quad batteries and inverter, arrange for Service to install just the panels and a controller at delivery. That will work perfectly (and unobtrusively) to maintain your two wet batteries. You may not be aware that when the panels are in sunshine they will also supply all your normal daytime 12 volt needs like fans, device chargers, jacks, water pump, etc, so the batteries are not being used at all during that time. It allows them to be fully charged at sundown for running stuff in the dark. For marginal sun exposure (overcast, high latitudes, short winter days) there are much better controllers available. For your conditions the standard one is 100% fine. You will NOT regret the roof panels! You can always upgrade the batteries, or even the controller, at a later date.

And be sure to get the side port for a portable solar panel, it is a minimal cost, and being able to supplement the roof panels is always a good feature, like for when you are in NY under some trees. That panel is also great attached to your truck, to run a DC fridge or 12 volt fans for the dogs...

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Can you post some pics of your flatbed and custom kennels? That sounds very nifty. What about the dogs overheating when the truck is parked in the open? Do you rig a canopy?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Hello sir. The box has 3/4 inch foam between outer and inner walls doors ceilings and floor. It is like a big cooler. Doors are vented as well as roof. Shading is necessary at times. Desert southwest generally has some wind so positioning vehicle is key. Ran in Sonoita Arizona last weekend. Was very nice weather. Just wished I had the ManCan! Will try to post photos of Jones box. Jones trailer out of Woodson Texas makes the best dog transport equipment I have found! 

• Thanks 1

Love the flatbed !.... Your truck will be 110% perfect for pulling the LE2, you will hardly know it is there. Make sure the trailer charge wire terminal on the truck is clean and functional, that will help keep your batteries topped up when cruising on the highway, if it is dark or overcast. If it is sunny the roof panels will do everything.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies