Confused Again.

Moonlight Mile

I am getting the 2021 Elite 1 (with the Anderson hitch). Already know opinions on the Anderson, so that's not why I am posting.

What I need, if anyone would be so kind as to help, is to know what I need to SECURE the trailer, hitch, etc. so that when I park (truck and trailer hitched together) and go walking or whatever, they are still together (as in "not stolen"), and also so that when I unhitch the truck and drive the truck somewhere leaving the trailer parked (at a site, etc.) no one can swipe the trailer. (I want to do the best I can to secure it all, basically, at least, for now. I will not be staying in "iffy" places. I am new, brand new. And having a helluva time understanding some of this.

I emailed my fabulous sales rep and I am still just confused (it's not the rep's fault!).

So can you guys take a look at this and help me understand in VERY simple YES OR NO answers, a couple quick things?

1. I bought this.

2. I bought this.

And I already had one of those round keyed locks one uses to lock a storage space in a self-storage facility.

3. Nice rep says I need this.

502075411_SilverThingWithKey.jpeg.bab2b3c0c140e78dc863c5d1898d7491.jpeg

4. Nice rep says I need this.

802161901_YellowThingwithKey.jpeg.dc690e68710a1f7b031f545ef555cfca.jpeg

DO I RETURN the two items I bought (#1 and #2 above), because Amazon WILL still let me as of now?

AND THEN INSTEAD get the two items shown in #3 and #4?

If YES, can someone give me a link to those two items on Amazon, as I don't know the brand, or what goes with my truck or the Andersen, etc. correctly.

Thanks!

Tow Vehicle is Class IV Receiver, if that matters.

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, SherMica said:

What I need, if anyone would be so kind as to help, is to know what I need to SECURE the trailer, hitch, etc. so that when I park (truck and trailer hitched together) and go walking or whatever, they are still together (as in "not stolen"), and also so that when I unhitch the truck and drive the truck somewhere leaving the trailer parked (at a site, etc.) no one can swipe the trailer. 

3. Nice rep says I need this.

502075411_SilverThingWithKey.jpeg.bab2b3c0c140e78dc863c5d1898d7491.jpeg

4. Nice rep says I need this.

802161901_YellowThingwithKey.jpeg.dc690e68710a1f7b031f545ef555cfca.jpeg

You say you want to secure the trailer while it is still hitched to your truck.  What you have purchased will do that.  The lockable hitch pin ensures someone can‘t easily remove it.  The collar lock ensures someone can’t easily open the bulldog hitch and remove your trailer from the ball.  I don’t think your nice rep understood your question.  The yellow Reese lock is for when you are unhitched to secure the bulldog hitch.  You can use the collar you purchased for both situations, both when hitched to your truck and in combination with the yellow Reese lock (or any number of others) when unhitched.  Since you already have a lockable hitch pin you don’t need another one.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

You say you want to secure the trailer while it is still hitched to your truck.  What you have purchased will do that.  The lockable hitch pin ensures someone can‘t easily remove it.  The collar lock ensures someone can’t easily open the bulldog hitch and remove your trailer from the ball.  I don’t think your nice rep understood your question.  The yellow Reese lock is for when you are unhitched to secure the bulldog hitch.  You can use the collar you purchased for both situations, both when hitched to your truck and in combination with the yellow Reese lock (or any number of others) when unhitched.  Since you already have a lockable hitch pin you don’t need another one.  Mike

THANK YOU. So I do NOT need to buy anything else? Just keep the two things I already bought and take them with me to delivery day, YES?

I seem to have trouble communicating clearly sometimes lately; it's stress, I think.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

1 is fine, as long as it fits into your receiver OK. Try it now to make sure.

2 is extra fine, but you need a better lock for it. Your storage unit lock is probably junk. This one is very good, not the best but a hell of a lot of lock for the money. .... Stanley high security padlock ... I have been using one for four seasons and it is most excellent.

3 isn't that just like number 1?

4 no, you don’t need that. If you are super concerned about somebody lowering the coupler onto a smaller ball and driving away, buy a hardened 2” steel ball bearing ($10) and lock it into the coupler opening using the coupler lock you already have. But that really isn’t necessary unless you leave it unattended in Detroit or Chicago...

Buy the better padlock and call it good.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, SherMica said:

. So I do NOT need to buy anything else?

You may still want to purchase the Reese ball lock, or something like it, for use when you are camped.

Most of us do. It's one more key to carry, but one more lock to make your trailer a slightly less attractive target.

The ball bearing John suggested is a good idea, and no key. But it's not readily visible, and would drop out if the lock on the bulldog collar were defeated.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Not to throw any more fuel on your “worry fire”, but you also need to be thinking about how to make your Ram look less tempting to a casual smash and grab thief. That is probably a good subject for a new thread, but basically try not to leave anything unusual or valuable exposed. At the very least, a dark blanket over the top of loose gear is a good start. Heavy window tint is good, but I don’t like that method. Removing the rear seats entirely and installing secure storage lockers is much better but big $. You can go crazy with window anti-theft film and extra door locks ... https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/recommended-overland-hardware-lock-hasps.15697/ ... but that is more appropriate for visiting Third World areas. In reality you are most likely to find a stranger hanging around waiting for your return, so he can beg you to let him look inside your cool trailer..... Get used to that.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

1 is fine, as long as it fits into your receiver OK. Try it now to make sure.

2 is extra fine, but you need a better lock for it. Your storage unit lock is probably junk. This one is very good, not the best but a hell of a lot of lock for the money. .... Stanley high security padlock ... I have been using one for four seasons and it is most excellent.

3 isn't that just like number 1?

4 no, you don’t need that. If you are super concerned about somebody lowering the coupler onto a smaller ball and driving away, buy a hardened 2” steel ball bearing ($10) and lock it into the coupler opening using the coupler lock you already have. But that really isn’t necessary unless you leave it unattended in Detroit or Chicago...

Buy the better padlock and call it good.

John Davies

Spokane WA

OK! I will get the better lock for sure (instead of the round storage unit lock thing I already had). And yes I thought 3 was the same as 1, too . . . just that super nice rep’s answer just wasn’t clear to me (it is my stress level, not his fault at all, to be clear). 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

11 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Not to throw any more fuel on your “worry fire”, but you also need to be thinking about how to make your Ram look less tempting to a casual smash and grab thief. That is probably a good subject for a new thread, but basically try not to leave anything unusual or valuable exposed. At the very least, a dark blanket over the top of loose gear is a good start. Heavy window tint is good, but I don’t like that method. Removing the rear seats entirely and installing secure storage lockers is much better but big $. You can go crazy with window anti-theft film and extra door locks, but that is more appropriate for visiting Third World areas. In reality you are most likely to find a stranger hanging around waiting for your return, so he can beg you to let him look inside your cool trailer..... Get used to that.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Ha. Yeah I can def disguise things in truck (and do). 

I can’t try the #1 thing I already bought yet? Because I don’t have anything to try it IN yet? I mean, the truck has the towing “package” but not that “thing” the pic (link #1 going to Amazon) shows the #1 thing going INTO. I am assuming that OTT is giving me that? Is that not the Anderson I am getting? I am about to give up and if I don’t have something on delivery day, I will be running around trying to buy it. Gah. Lingo is killing me here. LOL

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

PS. I looked at the #1 thing’s pics at the Amazon link.

I think I see where I am confused. Or was.

I don’t have the thing with the ball on it.

I DO have the square thing (receiver) as part of the truck.

The Amazon pics:

Have: square hole thingy.

Don’t have: big ball thingy coming out of square hole thingy.

9399D0C1-6E40-4652-829F-75599D7D5830.jpeg

9E8AA59E-3D14-4D44-A634-BC60731D830E.jpeg

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

SherMica,

If you camp somewhere and leave your camp to drive off...you may want to consider adding a lock for the whole coupler like this one from Progressive Industries. (The big yellow thing the rep is telling you to buy is another form of this type of "Wholer Coupler Lock".

They are hard to defeat (compared to other locks) but they are not cheap.  
We use this lock for peace of mind when we leave our trailer alone and take our truck out sightseeing.

The model for the 2" coupl the Progressive Industries 2178-B:  *B stands for Bulldog Coupler*
https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks/products/model-2178-b  

Here's a "youtube" video here to explain how it fits on the Bulldog couplers used with Olivers.

Video of Progressive Industries Lock for Oliver

Finally, here's a pix of it on our Oliver.

We put this on any time we're disconnected from the trailer and plan to be away from our campsite.

IMG_4731.jpg.2412d1b73788cfa6f71037eecc238ad2.jpg

Craig & Rose

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

Edited by ctshort09
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

All: some day I will look back on all this and laugh. I am already laughing at myself. Need a clue bat upside the head, I do. They probably sell clue bats on Amazon. Heh.

I drive to pickup the Elite one in 10 days. The OTT people will be laughing too, I’m sure. “So, you’ve NEVER towed anything, have a new truck that can launch missiles, don’t understand your new truck’s features yet, and don’t know anything about hitches and couplers and receivers and locks. Well played!” Haha

Edited by SherMica
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

It will all make a lot more sense when you see the system put together.

You can try your hitch lock without the hitch. Run it through the holes in the "square thingy," your truck's "receiver, to make sure it's long enough, and whether it's the right diameter for the hole drilled in your receiver.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just now, SeaDawg said:

It will all make a lot more sense when you see the system put together.

You can try your hitch lock without the hitch. Run it through the holes in the "square thingy," your truck's "receiver, to make sure it's long enough, and whether it's the right diameter for the hole drilled in your receiver.

I hope so. Rep says I DO need the big YELLOW REESE THING. I have never been so confused in my life.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Hitch parts definition based on your pix...you'll be fine and we hope to see you on the road some day.

1759117829_hitchparts.thumb.jpg.82afe275da17bd8b8f6e36ca0067e99e.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

• Moderators

Don't be too hard on yourself. Judging from many questions on the forum, you are not alone in buying a trailer without towing experience.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Just now, ctshort09 said:

Hitch parts definition based on your pix...you'll be fine and we hope to see you on the road some day.

1759117829_hitchparts.thumb.jpg.82afe275da17bd8b8f6e36ca0067e99e.jpg

Thank you! I am probably about to buy more stuff I don’t need. But this is *very* helpful. I do have a receiver (class IV). I do have a locking hitch pin. I do NOT have the ball mount or the hitch ball. I assume the OTT people provide those parts, are they not part of the “bulldog” and “Anderson” I am getting with the Elite 1?

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Well dang, now I cannot FIND the receiver lock thing. THIS THING.  Looked everywhere. It's gone.

In my defense, I am trying to pack, get out of a rental, deal with dog things, job, my brother passed, my mom has dementia, etc. I just keep asking what do I need to bring with me to delivery day.

I have chocks.

I have Legos (leveling blocks).

And now I can't even find the lock thing above. I will assume that one I seem to have LOST already was the right "size" 3/8" (?) for a Class IV receiver -- 2" -- and try to find another quickly from Amazon AND order the big YELLOW THING (this.).

I DO have this thing

Good enough?

Ordered the other lock John recommended above as well. (Already, today).

Sorry for all the disorganization there. But thank you all.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

You can buy a hitch pin lock at Tractor supply in Hohenwald if you don't find it before you leave. It may turn up. 

We have one milk crate in the back where we keep all the setup items. (Blocks, chocks, locks, water hose and filter.) 

You will also find organizing easier when you actually get to use your Oliver, and see how all the pieces fit.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

5 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

You can buy a hitch pin lock at Tractor supply in Hohenwald if you don't find it before you leave.

Thank you, I am all done with this for now, I think. Just gonna try to finish packing and errands and chill the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow. I cannot BELIEVE I "lost" that hitch pin thingy! I looked everywhere. Sigh. I think like you said, when I SEE this stuff, hands-on, it will make sense. Visual! I will figure it out.

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

2 hours ago, SherMica said:

not part of the “bulldog” and “Anderson” I am getting with the Elite 1?

The "bulldog coupler" is the connection point bolted on the trailer.  The bulldog coupler connects to the Anderson trailer hitch ball which is slid into the "receiver" on the tow vehicle.

bulldog.thumb.jpg.1a4d2776e5c285cd123d0cc51f2da427.jpg

When you hook up that the "Bulldog Coupler" is lowered down onto the "Anderson Hitch Ball" as shown below:

135192522_hookedup.thumb.jpg.bfd47375da585c78d01f25883b6faf2d.jpg

That picture of the hookup is from John Davies...(thanks for the great post John.)

Have fun with your new Ollie.
CS

Edited by ctshort09
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

• Moderators

We are all wishing you well. Take a night off, or, two, to breathe and relax and recharge. 

This is a really big change,  but many others have done it. You're as capable as most, even if it's all new. None of this is rocket science .

I would also like to add my sympathies for the loss of your brother. And, for the deteriorating health of your mom. 

You'll be fine, eventually.  Keep your head up and clear. You have friends here that you've never (personally) met. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

16 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We are all wishing you well. Take a night off, or, two, to breathe and relax and recharge. 

This is a really big change,  but many others have done it. You're as capable as most, even if it's all new. None of this is rocket science .

I would also like to add my sympathies for the loss of your brother. And, for the deteriorating health of your mom. 

You'll be fine, eventually.  Keep your head up and clear. You have friends here that you've never (personally) met. 

Sherry

Thank you so much Sherry. Really appreciate the kind words. More than you can know. 

• Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

CT short

Thanks for the picture. I knew nothing about the Andersen, other than Oliver sales told me that I needed it. I said okay. I now know what I need, and don't need, when I pick up my Elite I in March. And have a better idea how to secure the trailer and hitch. 

Thank you very much.

SherMica, I had a similar question about what I was going to need - I am getting the Andersen for my Tacoma and Elite I. I now know that I don't need anything, other than the square thing that the thingy slides into - the receiver, the part that is mounted to the truck. Everything else will be provided by Oliver at delivery, it seems. We won't need to have a ball, or the insert - just the brake controller and seven pin plug. I couldn't ask that question the way you did, because I am a 66 year old male who is supposed to know stuff 🙂 I now understand why I was getting confused answers when I asked what insert height I needed to take with me. I don't take one.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited