GO FOR IT! TALK ME OUT OF A COMPARABLE AIRSTREAM. 😉

Voyager

Some great new postings overnight, and my continued thanks to all who have contributed here. It's been immensely informative and helpful, and I'm most grateful to all.

Like many others here, I am deeply intrigued (nay, "impressed"!), by the LE2, and despite it's limitations, there remains a better than even chance that I'll eventually end-up with one. I'm confident of that. Will I pay $85k, wait-out the 10-month build time, and have it be brand new? Mmmm, unlikely. Would I consider buying a 2-5 year old used one in the $50-$65,000 range? Yes. In a blistering heartbeat! Anywhere nationwide. But given availability, that too is unlikely. So, where does that leave me?

I wish it weren't so, but for me, personally, the risk of hail and other structural damage to the outer shell on a polished aluminum Airstream, is a far greater deal-breaker than a wet bath with low ceiling in an Oliver. With that, and the added ground clearance, the aluminum frame, the composite flooring and other great features of the Oliver, the needle points toward to the LE2, but then, sadly, the $85k price tag, brings it back to near neutral again.

This is precisely why I decided to initiate this original thread. Not to troll or antagonize people, but because its far from a clear-cut, easy decision. For example, if hail were all that serious of a threat, then why are there thousands of Airstreams out on the highway? And what are the true insurance implications? Similarly, Gulf Stream makes a 26-ft ball-towable trailer with a dry bath, two twin beds, 80" ceilings throughout, and an 8 cubic foot fridge for under $25k!!! (The "Envision"). Junk in comparison, but I can buy almost FOUR of 'em for the cost of an LE2 or 23-ft Globetrotter.

So no, it ain't real easy or straight-forward. In fact, this is proving to be more stressful than Covid-19 and national politics combined!! 😂😂😂

Edited by Voyager

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Voyager said:

So no, it ain't real easy. In fact, this is proving to be more stressful than Covid-19 and national politics combined!! 😂😂😂

Not sure what your timeline is, but a trip to Hohenwald and the factory might be beneficial.  It might take some of the stress out of your situation.  Seeing how they are made and getting inside of one might allay some of your anxiety.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks, Mike!

Yup. I've been thinking the very same thing. Slim chance of ever finding one to see here in Montana, and normally, I wouldn't consider a 1500 (correction, 2,000!) mile drive to simply 'view' something, but it may well be necessary in this particular instance.

Back in 2005, we purchased a used 28-ft center console Grady-White boat, on trailer, sight unseen, from an owner in Naples, Florida, for about the same price ($80k), and had it shipped to us in Honolulu by a 2nd party, who did the sea trial there in Naples, and then drove it cross-country, from Naples to the Port of San Diego, California.

And amazingly, it all worked out in the end. So, a simple trip to Tennessee is certainly do-able.

Thanks again. 👍

Edited by Voyager

Thanks, TexasGuy!

You said . . .

"As someone working to finish my build sheet I am under $70k for 2021 LEII.  I actually think I will be under $66k but again all depends on must haves in the trailer."

Say WHAT??? With a base price of $60k, I didn't think $66k was possible? However, I too have been thinking about how many of the various bonus features I might be able to forego upon ordering, in favor of adding them myself at a later date. Some of them could easily be done so, while others, not so much (sliding batteries, etc.).

Edited by Voyager

28 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Thanks, TexasGuy!

You said . . .

"As someone working to finish my build sheet I am under $70k for 2021 LEII.  I actually think I will be under $66k but again all depends on must haves in the trailer."

Say WHAT??? With a base price of $60k, I didn't think $66k was possible? However, I too have been thinking about how many of the various bonus features I might be able to forego upon ordering, in favor of adding them myself at a later date. Some of them could easily be done so, while others, not so much (sliding batteries, etc.).

Would you be getting 2021 or 2022?  The only package I want is solar pro. The upgrade to lithium just isn’t worth it to me.  I am also passing on cushion upgrades and awning upgrades.   I will look to aftermarket mattresses if i feel they are even needed. Otherwise a handful of smaller options I’d want but not big packages like electronics or outdoor pro packages.  Also not getting truma or composting toilet which are higher dollar upgrades.  Even if I splurged and got fibergranite I’d still be under 70k.   Given speed of tech the Wi-Fi and cell booster weren’t things I wanted permanent mounted in  roof. 

Also to be clear not adding in any sales tax in my numbers as I have to pay that whether I buy from Oliver or a RV dealership 

Edited by TexasGuy

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

"Would you be getting 2021 or 2022?  The only package I want is solar pro. The upgrade to lithium just isn’t worth it to me.  I am also passing on cushion upgrades and awning upgrades.   I will look to aftermarket mattresses if i feel they are even needed. Otherwise a handful of smaller options I’d want but not big packages like electronics or outdoor pro packages.  Also not getting truma or composting toilet which are higher dollar upgrades.  Even if I splurged and got fibergranite I’d still be under 70k.   Given speed of tech the Wi-Fi and cell booster weren’t things I wanted permanent mounted in roof. "

If ordered now, I imagine it would be a 2022, but your other comments here, really have me thinking, and I thank you for that! It hadn't occurred to me that some of the optional features, particularly those that are attached externally, may well be functional from the inside, making them and some of the other intrinsic optional features, do-able post-purchase, and overall, that's a potential game-changer for sure!

Time for more research and thought! Thanks again. 👊

Edited by Voyager

My wife Chris and I are primarily boaters, having owned and enjoyed our sailboat for 35 years.  But we also are avid hikers and campers and have literally beat three pop-up tent trailers and an A-Frame (aliner) to death over the last 25 years.  The typical stick built RV is simply not built to handle much heavy use.  Sketchy wiring, poorly built cabinetry and the generally shoddy construction found in most RV's does not lead to longevity.  I am able, after building my own cruising sailboat and several homes, to fix most issues that pop up but that does not mean I like spending my time in that manner. 

Recently retired, we have decided to go to a larger RV with more off-season capability. We had narrowed our search to Airstream, Escape and, most recently, Oliver.  The 6061 aluminum frame, double hull glass construction (which, unlike aluminum, I can repair or modify myself) higher clearance and generally more robust construction has made the Oliver a no-brainer.  If we were to contain our travel to good paved roads and campgrounds with full utilities a good argument could be made for the Airstream as it is wider, cushier and generally better laid out for comfort.  But we are not ... Alaska, Northern Canada and other off-the-path destinations are in our future and, because of this, the Oliver decision was easy.

Edited by Neuman's

Thanks Mr. Neuman, and yes, I follow you completely. I too, am retired, I too can repair most anything (but hate doing so), and I too travel widely, so our goals and paths are quite similar. Personally, I don't see the Airstream happening for us here. I just don't. As impressive as the Globetrotter is, it's just too vulnerable, too foo-foo, and too spendy. For me, from day-one, it's been about that whopping $80-$85k price tag of the LE2. And the factory tells me that the 2022 is going up by another $5k (that's $90k fully loaded). So that said, I've just gotta figure a way out of as many of the up-front dollars (add-ons, etc.), as I possibly can. If I can do that, I'm signed, sealed and delivered.

Edited by Voyager

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

Say WHAT??? With a base price of $60k, I didn't think $66k was possible?

Perhaps I missed something but a base Elite II is $57,500. I know of only two options on the build sheet that can't be changed post build should you decide you require something else down the road: The additional 30 amp hookup and the microwave/storage option. You can add the base solar package $2799, add your own AGM batteries and call it a day.

The decor option is by far the biggest waste of money if you're looking to stretch your dollars. Upgrading the tables to wood down the road can add some life should you decide white and black isn't for you.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

$85-$90k?  My build will come in under $67k and thats with solar pro package, composting toilet, outdoor pro package, ultrafabric and several other options.   I wouldnt buy the lithium from Oliver nor anything in the technology package.  For your price quote of 85-90 what did you choose (or are you talking Canadian $)?

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Nope. No Canadian, no Euros, no Pounds, Shillings or Pence, and yet, it all makes perfect cents! 😉

$85k (USD) was "fully loaded", and there are multiple YouTube videos out there to show you that pathway. Just check all the boxes and add it up.

Edited by Voyager

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Nope. No Canadian, no Euros, no Pounds, Shillings or Pence, and yet, it all makes perfect cents! 😉

$85k (USD) was "fully loaded", and there are multiple YouTube videos out there to show you that pathway. Just check all the boxes and add it up.

It sounded like you were fine with a utilitarian trailer. If you really compare the 85k build with the 63k build you'll find you aren't really gaining much for your 22k.

Personally, I'd rather have a solid foundation on the road if my other option is fully loaded in a browser tab. 😁

Jokes aside, the base Oliver is gets you 99% of the way there. Everything else is just nice to haves (or additional complications).

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold the phone, campers! Let's clarify something right here and now. The base price for the LE2 (2022 model) is $62,500, and I'm told that there's less than five builds left for 2021. So I seriously doubt that I'll make that cut.

Therefore, respectfully, let's please start over, by someone here showing me how you get to $66-$67k from there? To be clear, I believe that it's technically "possible", and my hopes are definitely elevated by that prospect, but we must be talking a fully "stripped" (base) unit here, right?

If not, then I obviously need to revisit my worksheet, which I just received for the first time, this morning.

Edited by Voyager

• Moderators

Probably something to note is that a "base" Oliver includes many items that are options on other brands. A few posts back, you talked about the sliding battery tray. That was standard even on our 2008.

I haven't shopped for an Oliver since 2008, but I  have seen a number of lightly used Ollie postings that included the original invoice.

To find out what "loaded" means,  price wise, for you, I'd suggest you call Oliver, work through the build sheet, and see for yourself. You've already had several posters explain their builds and pricing.

Oliver sales staff doesn't bother and harass you. They're really nice, and very busy.

Oops. Edit to add, you have a build sheet now. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

"Jokes aside, the base Oliver gets you 99% of the way there. Everything else is just nice to haves (or additional complications)."

Yup, I fully agree, and thanks to you and some others here, that's the newer frequency I'm starting to tune into.

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yup, I fully agree, and thanks to you and some others here, that's the newer frequency I'm starting to tune into.

Good luck on your decision. A 5k price hike might be the largest single year price increase ever. Brutal.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yeah, I literally just got a copy of an actual Build Worksheet here 2-3 hours ago. Prior to that, I was operating on screenshots of worksheets seen on various YouTube videos. I know, I know, stupid! But it is what it is.

So the base price as listed on the Oliver web site is incorrect? it is  actually $62,500? Hmmm, That is a price hike - resin must have gotten expensive - I can see how $80k is achievable. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Yes. Its obviously not been updated on their website yet, because they're still taking orders for 2021 models, but I spoke to the factory earlier today, and they said that the base price for 2022 models, is $5,000 more than the 2021, which puts it squarely at $62,500. In addition, they said that several "optional" features for 2021, will become "standard" (or standardized) features for 2022.

To be frank, it was all a bit confusing, and please don't hold my feet to the fire on this, but if I understood them correctly, the WiFi and 4G cell boost will both become a single (merged) unit (still optional), and that the grease 'once-every-12,000 mile' wheel bearings of the 2021's and earlier, will become sealed, lifetime, never-needs-packing, axles (as standard). Also, the exterior graphics color and pattern options are going to be pared back from 25 (or whatever it is currently?), to about 5 options or less.

There may be more as well, I'm just not sure at this point.

Edited by Voyager

• Moderators

I would think that most folks looking at an Oliver decide on options very carefully, depending on budget and camping style.  I’m sure a few Oliver owners that are more financially set don’t worry about options and just order the full slate.  When we discussed buying an Oliver we started with the base price, not the fully loaded price.  We had financial constraints so starting low and adding those options we needed made the most sense.  Starting at the upper limit would have been discouraging.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

"I would think that most folks looking at an Oliver decide on options very carefully, depending on budget and camping style.  I’m sure a few Oliver owners that are more financially set don’t worry about options and just order the full slate.  When we discussed buying an Oliver we started with the base price, not the fully loaded price.  We had financial constraints so starting low and adding those options we needed made the most sense.  Starting at the upper limit would have been discouraging."

Mike, thanks for your continued contributions here, and yes, this is exactly how we felt initially (i.e., very discouraged). We're most definitely on a budget up here, and as I've said earlier, $80-$85k is 'serious' bank for us, so it positively was discouraging.

However, now, I'm starting to see more and more people realizing that yes, given their current (and future) pricing, and cost of available options, its absolutely (almost certainly!) possible, to get to get to $80,000, and like it or not, this is clearly into "new" Airstream territory.

But thanks again for your most recent posting here. Its helped me a lot. I think I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, and I think I'm pricing things as they are truly priced, but now, I no longer feel like I'm some sort of uninformed, inaccurate, raging, lunatic!  👍

Edited by Voyager
  • Like 1

O.K., so, reviewing the pricing and the optional feature worksheet, it becomes rather apparent that the base price LE2 (entry level 2022 model), with no more than the Solar Pro Package (+$5,000), would come in at $67,500.

And so, I stand by what I've repeatedly said here earlier . . .  I may have been a bit high at $80,000, but in fairness, for a reasonably (or essentially minimally) equipped LE2, we're easily looking at $70-$75,000.

Keeping in mind the following:

#1) Base price (2022) = $62,500

#2) Solar Pro Package = $5,000+

#3) Twin bed floor plan = $1,600+

#4) Convection microwave = $500+

-------------------------------------------------------

Sum Total: $70,000 +/- 

Edited by Voyager

The base solar package is hard to beat if you buy your own AGM batteries. The twin floor plan should be the same price as the standard unless they changed something. The twin with couch option was an additional expense if I remember correctly.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

3 minutes ago, Jairon said:

The base solar package is hard to beat if you buy your own AGM batteries. The twin floor plan should be the same price as the standard unless they changed something. The twin with couch option was an additional expense if I remember correctly.

Yeah the twin bed with couch was $300 more and I think that is for extra cushion for back and sides. 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package