Alp Propane Generator

Has anyone used one of these?  Seems like a nice size generator for a just in case scenario. Not having to carry gasoline would be a big bonus.  It is only 1000watts so it wouldn't run the AC but if your only looking to charge your batteries in a pinch it might be a good choice.  How fast can the ollie take a charge?  Would the trailer charge faster with 2000 watts or is there a limitation on somewhere in the electrical system?

https://alpgenerators.com/products/alp-generator-1000-watts-blue-gray

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II  (11/21 delivery)

• Moderators

You might want to take a look at THIS recent update review (and the previous review by the same person) for information on this generator.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The standard (45 amp) onboard charger draws around 7 amps AC. A 1000 watt generator should, maybe, perhaps, might work adequately, but only if you switch off all the other circuit breakers. If you try to use the air conditioner, inverter, fridge or hot water heater it will kick offline. A 2000 watt or bigger will prove to be much more useful. Plus it will let you cool the trailer. If you have the lithium package - it has a more powerful charger - you need a bigger generator than this one.

They don’t seem to publish the actual specifications. Does it provide 1000 watts continuously? Many brands have a surge rating that is the one they choose to advertise, with a lower continuous rating. My Yamaha 2300 is rated 2300 continuous, but actually surges much higher without issues. It will happily provide nearly 20 amps all day.

Alp brags about the light weight but a Honda EU1000i is only about 10 pounds heavier, full of gas. It will run for 8 hours, so if it is just for an emergency, you don’t have to carry any extra gas for it.

My personal feelings about gas vs propane: I like gas since if I run out of propane I am not totally screwed for auxiliary power. And I could run a small space heater off it if the furnace failed, or if the Ollie’s propane ran out. And the 10 extra gallons of gas are available to put into the truck’s too small fuel tank if it runs out, or if I am far from a gas station camping and I want to top it off to go exploring. I really like to have lots of options when boondocking.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Thanks for the replies.  I just saw this thing reviewed by the guy Topgun linked to and figured I would get some opinions.  Had not seen it discussed before.  I have a Yamaha 2200 which is most likely what I will carry when I need a generator. So what you're saying John is that when using shore power the electrical system prioritizes that and will not load share with the batteries?  I have some time before I make decisions on the solar/battery option.  I am going to start another thread with some questions on that topic.

Thanks,

John

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II  (11/21 delivery)

1 hour ago, Jps190 said:

. So what you're saying John is that when using shore power the electrical system prioritizes that and will not load share with the batteries?  

No, that isn’t exactly accurate. The system isn’t smart in any way. If you are supplying a fixed amount of AC amps via the shore power cord, the system will use up to that amount depending on what appliances are enabled by their circuit breakers being turned on. The owner has to control that. If you exceed the maximum amount for very long the generator will disconnect and flash its angry little red light.

You need to keep the fridge and water heater running on propane, not 120 vac, and do not use the air conditioner while other 120 vac stuff is operating. The onboard charger will deliver as much as the batteries can accept, but its DC load is also shared by any other 12 volt items being used. So if every load was turned off, the batteries could get the full 45 amps DC. It’s important to learn how each applaince or load affects the total energy picture. 

The lithium package has a 60 amp charger built into the inverter, I am not sure how exactly that functions. I personally would not like having these functions combined, in case the unit fails. Some folks have reported issues with it. A separate DC converter makes more sense to me, in terms of reliability and functionality.

I hope that helps. There are power usage charts you can study, to get an idea of how much goes where.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

I'm holding out for miniature nuclear fusion personal power sources. Elon has it in the works. 

in the meantime - JD has the answers - options....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"

ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201524964bac5483378b34b491562080842sm.jpg

11 hours ago, Jps190 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I just saw this thing reviewed by the guy Topgun linked to and figured I would get some opinions.  Had not seen it discussed before.  I have a Yamaha 2200 which is most likely what I will carry when I need a generator. So what you're saying John is that when using shore power the electrical system prioritizes that and will not load share with the batteries?  I have some time before I make decisions on the solar/battery option.  I am going to start another thread with some questions on that topic.

Thanks,

John

Keep an eye on your Yamaha 2200 . . . . we've been trying to get one since October, and there are none . . .  nada . . . . zip . . . .  anywhere.  Yamaha is now telling me they should be available this Spring . . . . . URGHHHHH!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

• Moderators

Yamaha is now telling me they should be available this Spring . . . . . URGHHHHH!

Great - just in time for hurricane season.  😁

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"