Has anyone removed counter tops/table to change color (Dakota black to a lighter tan

Fran

How is the finish on the counter tops/tables applied, how are they removed/installed. If I purchase a unit with these how would you suggest I do this. I think if I took them out and let the factory do the finish the I would reinstall them ( I have done boats, camper and home upgrades/renovations in the past ).

I don’t know about the kitchen counter, but the bath vanity is glued in place and is very difficult to remove.  Not impossible, just extremely difficult. Essentially, you’ll have to cut through the glue joints. The bath vanity can be removed in one piece that way, but I’d guess that the kitchen counter would have to be taken out in pieces. 

Everything else is designed to be easily removable. 

Edited by Overland

Overland, when you say glued down do you mean adhesive in a tube, hopefully not 5200 marine type (never coming loose type) . I saw someone hard a sink cover up and it looked like they had installed 2 sided 3m extreme outdoor tape to secure top ( from a better shower head mod).nope, looking closer he used 3m velcro...  

be better off having corian counters made..a bit heavier but would not have to have them shipped back and forth to TN plus refinishing cost. Plus I could have a 4 inch extra added at stove side to give more counter space plus add a one burner and delete the 2 burner ( I rarely cook inside...hate the smell).

Edited by Fran

Yes, that was my post about the shower, and I replaced the counter using the 3M Velcro which seems to be plenty strong for the application, at least for fiber granite.  I think that the original glue was an epoxy rather than a caulk adhesive.

I think that corian would be considerably heavier, and also thicker than the fiber granite.  The fiber granite uses a honeycomb core, so it’s pretty light.  I might be a little nervous about using Velcro to attach corian because of the weight and a small piece like the one at the pantry or microwave could do some damage if it were to come loose during breaking or a big bump. 

Edited by Overland

9 minutes ago, Overland said:

There’s also at least one owner who went over his original countertop with stainless steel. 

The stainless steel counter, the kitchen fold down extension, and the 80/20 lagun mount were some of the most functional mods I've seen on the forum to date. I would have opted for stainless if Oliver offered it.

Edited by Jairon
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators

I have seen photos of Foy Sperring's wooden dinette tabletops, and they are not only beautiful, but "warm up" the look.

Fran, would you consider changing up the table top and microwave and pantry tops, leaving the dark fibergranite in only the wet areas? There's hardly any countertop showing, anyway.

I don't know about today's trailers, but the wood top above the fridge in my 2008 is held in place with industrial velcro, and has never budged during travel.

Sherry

20210117_143517.jpg

20210117_143451.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add photos
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

A number of years back - corian was tried in the Olivers but was deemed too heavy to be practical.  I thought that the stainless top was done by Raspy.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Here are few pix of my stainless counter top.  It was upgraded after this pic with a barrier on the right side to prevent spills and a nicer faucet.

The microwave cabinet was a very successful upgrade.  It gave more counter space, a place for knives and utensils, a wine rack and a secure microwave that could not fall out of the cabinet.  The microwave that came in my Ollie, tried to jump out of the cabinet twice.  

20170422_211434-1.jpg

0-3.jpeg

0 copy.jpeg

• Like 4

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19