Shining up dulled Gelcoat

NCeagle

I have a roughly 6 inch by 2 foot area of Gelcoat under my dinette seat that is dull.  It's not easy to see without the right light angles, but you can make it out in the photo, especially where the reflection of the space heater is interrupted.  According to OTT Service, it was likely an area that was missed or not completed when being built - not a big deal to repair. 

IMG_2758.thumb.jpg.5229805e17a9d11f76ee126fa0c29284.jpg

When it comes to buffing Gelcoat, there are tons of choices and some are better than others on white, so I asked OTT Service what they currently use in-house.  They use a product called Buff Magic (https://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-Yacht-Brite-YBP-0101-Magic/dp/B001HBQDO8).  I'm going to give it a try.  As a bonus it also cleans and shines metals.

Edited by NCeagle
  • Thanks 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Mine had some rough areas like that when we picked it up, but it turned out to be a very fine mist of paint overspray.  The backs of our pantry and closet doors were painted flat white vs the grey and black that I've seen on other trailers, so I'm guessing that they did some touch up painting after the trailer was together.  I know from personal experience that if you try to do any spray painting inside the trailer that you have to cover everything.  

I do have some rough patches on the roof though that need to be polished.  But they're under the solar panels so I guess they'll remain.

Edited by Overland

• Moderators

I've also had a couple of those "dull" patches since new and I've tried (not very much or very hard) to polish then out by hand with no success.  I'll be interested to hear how this recommended product works.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Marine shops offer plenty of products to do this.  For my fiberglass kayaks, which are similarly finished in gelcoat, I keep a couple of products on hand.  I have a fiberglass rubbing compound, light duty, which is good for buffing out minor scratches and scuffs.  After use, the surface has a dull shine to it.  Also have a finishing polisher/wax which brings back the original, high gloss shine.  If there are scratches that need deeper attention, I will hit the area lightly with sandpaper as needed.  I may start with a middle grade such as 120 or 150, than go over it with 400 than move one to wet sanding with 800 and, if a critical spot, will finish by wet sanding with 1200.  Than onto compound and finish with the polisher/wax.  I've brought beat up hulls back to factory finish by doing this.  Plenty of instructionals on youtube as well.

• Like 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

NCeagle,

We have used Meguiar's #67 one step compound achieving good results for water spots and light scratches:

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products/meguiars-marinerv-one-step-compound-m6732-32-oz-liquid

After using #67 then we applied Meguiar's Flagship premium marine wax/cleaner with good results:

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-flagship-premium-cleaner-wax-32oz.html

IMG_5726-M.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

LE2

Following this thread closely. There are a couple of areas beside the floor laminate, and several square feet of gelcoat along the outer wall below the dinette table, where a sloppy tech got floor adhesive and just ..... left it there. The latter is only visible with the table removed or I would have seen it at delivery. Idiot tech, and idiot me for not checking. It will not come off with any solvent or careful scraping, so I guess sandpaper is the only choice?

That and the crookedly mounted rear window (visible on the outside) make my blood boil. But I admit that I am anal. Does this stuff bother other owners?

There is a house nearby with one crooked window out of four in a line, every time I drive by I laugh, it is so obvious to me and such a silly thing for a worker to do, this is why God made bubble levels... 😬  

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I had similar - a little light compound and buffer took care of it for the most part - had a few spots that required some 1000 grit to get it all out.

I also had the sloppy floor glue -  3m adhesive cleaner took care of it very well.  

And O/S also - on the outside ???

All were cover with a good wax - Meguiar's is hard to beat.

Guess Oliver does this a a no cost  addition to the owner.

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I have read numerous similar issues as these with splatter on the gel coat. We pay a premium price for the trailer - I am beginning to become quite apprehensive about my purchase, as I wait for my delivery/pick up in less than 2 months. If these visible problems, issues out in the open, are there, what issues are hidden that are significant problems? Improperly sealed windows and roof vents. Improperly installed showers. Continued improper use of wrong size fuses. What else? Why do I need to inspect my trailer, for this price? Is this really okay, and we allow it? What am I missing?

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

Final verdict:  the Buff Magic worked.  I started out polishing by hand and could see it was working, but after my rotator cuff started aching I used my drill with a buffing pad on it.  👍 I figured I'd finish with my random orbital buffer but I probably won't bother as I can't see any swirl marks or blemishes up close from the first pass.  Again, tough to see the real results without moving around and looking at it from different angles in the light, but I tried to capture the same lighting and reflection as the first picture.   It does look like the rest of the interior now - new.

IMG_2766.thumb.jpg.66f14e4eed3712c76aa2667c86767996.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

States Visited Map

5 hours ago, JRK said:

I have read numerous similar issues as these with splatter on the gel coat. We pay a premium price for the trailer - I am beginning to become quite apprehensive about my purchase, as I wait for my delivery/pick up in less than 2 months. If these visible problems, issues out in the open, are there, what issues are hidden that are significant problems? Improperly sealed windows and roof vents. Improperly installed showers. Continued improper use of wrong size fuses. What else? Why do I need to inspect my trailer, for this price? Is this really okay, and we allow it? What am I missing?

John

Hi John,

Like you, I was worried after reading everything out on the forum before we got our Oliver a few months ago too.  Now that we have our trailer (for over 2 months now) and I've had a chance to really give it a workout, a lot of the anxiety was unnecessary.

Of course the reality is that there can be things that need to be addressed even on delivery day.  This is a "tiny house on wheels", so there's the fiberglass structure, the wheels, suspension and a whole lot of components that have to work together.

To help with my anxiety while waiting, I also read other travel trailer forums and it was quite obvious that the issues owners were having with Oliver trailers were MINOR compared to other brands.  I also developed a trust in Oliver service from what other owners were saying on the forum.  I made a (large) checklist of things to look for and check before I left Hohenwald.  I'm happy to report that just about everything mentioned by owners in this forum has been addressed by Oliver over the years. 

We've had a couple minor issues that have cropped up and I've addressed - no problem so far and Oliver service has been stellar as expected.  Nothing has been serious enough to impair our ability to use (and thoroughly enjoy) the trailer and it's luxury.  I enjoy fixing the little things that I can as it is helping me learn and become comfortable with our new vacation home.  🙂

• Like 8

States Visited Map

I would like to add that a lot of folks may expect “Lexus quality” from an Ollie. That will never be the case. A modern car that is in large part fabricated and assembled by robots will inevitably be a much more precise and reliable machine for years to come. An Ollie is assembled over two months by a large number of individuals, who by their very human nature have strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad. They may get distracted, they may make mistakes. A good quality control program should, and usually does catch those, so they can be corrected. There may be a bad batch of sealant, or something similar that is beyond their control.... And most of  the appliances and components like wheel bearings and seals are standard RV stuff, meaning they are cheaply built (“adequate”) and only vaguely efficient or reliable. To get a Lexus RV you have to spend a whole lot more money.

But OTH the general Ollie build quality seems to be greatly improved over four years ago, when they were experiencing their first growth spurt, and having to adapt to a much more intense production schedule. A new owner expecting completely trouble free , low maintenance ownership is probably going to be very disappointed. The stellar follow up service and the feeling of being in a close family is very important.

It’s a VERY nice RV, and I feel you cannot buy a better one for the money, but in the end it is still an RV. If you were buying a $500,000 Earthcruiser, you should expect close to perfection. But an Ollie’s bones, the hull and frame, are stellar. That is the bottom line.

It is always fun to watch the look of stunned disbelief of somebody who really understands metal fabrication when he first squats down and looks at that wonderful frame. His eyes widen, then “Whoa!”

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I would like to add that a lot of folks may expect “Lexus quality” from an Ollie. That will never be the case. A modern car that is in large part fabricated and assembled by robots will inevitably be a much more precise and reliable machine for years to come. An Ollie is assembled over two months by a large number of individuals, who by their human nature have strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad. And most of  the appliances are standard RV stuff, meaning they are cheaply built and only vaguely efficient or reliable. To get a Lexus RV you have to spend a whole lot more money.

But OTH the general Ollie build quality seems to be greatly improved over four years ago, when they were experiencing their first growth spurt, and having to adapt to a much more intense production schedule. A new owner expecting completely trouble free ownership is probably going to be disappointed. The stellar follow up service and the feeling of being in a close family is very important.

It’s a VERY nice RV, and I feel you can’t buy buy a better one for the money, but in the end it is still an RV. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

As much as I always enjoy and  I appreciate JD's comments - on a wide range of topic's, I must demure here - somewhat. His comments are spot on in relation to people being human and - despite best intentions, given solid training, proven processes, and perfect parts - people are at best 80% reliable.  As to robotic assembly - sure - in todays assembly plants - automation is much more a part of the build  - but mainly in heavy process driven areas such as the stamping,  body fab and finish - in the assembly areas - robotic assembly is much harder to deploy - for many reasons. Automation is not an Oliver strongpoint. and it is expensive - for small quantities.... . People remain at the core of the process.

However, my point - Quality - or more to the point - build to design intent - is a culmination of all the inputs - human and "robotic" which can be measured, controlled, and continually improved - beyond "Lexus" standards. Where Oliver has done a decent (excellent?)  job - in an industry rife with shoddy manufacturing quality- they have plenty of room for improvement. Customers deserve the quality level they expect - from a premium Company - charging a premium price. 

It is not unreasonable for an Oliver RV to meet or exceed design intent -and the expectations of the customer. Inspection processes, (the Oliver system) while valuable, are not the panacea to a quality product.  From my on site observations - for Oliver to achieve world class quality results - they must move towards a total system approach - one that was once referred to as TPS - (Toyota Production System) to which every manufacturer of note,  has adopted in various measures and given their own moniker. GM, Ford, Nissan, VW, Tesla, etc. -  - All have their own - you can graph - over time -industry quality improvements with the adoption of these type systems. Sure - AI, computer simulation - and the electronification of the vehicle  are also huge factors in the total.  (And many build 50+ per hour at a high FTQ)

As Oliver has relied on their service departments to correct issues and keep customers singing their praise - the real money is in getting it right the first time. As production schedules push the process - Oliver will be forced to move in that direction - or expect the eventual decline in overall product satisfaction.  At times - Oliver customers experience issues - that simply should not have made it to the customer. It happens. non the less - Oliver remains a top quality RV product. To quote Lee Iacocca - If you can find a better car (RV) , buy it," 

As someone on the forum  has previously commented - were they younger - there is a great opportunity to supply the RV industry with quality and reliable appliances and products. As Thor and Dometic continue to buy up all the independent's  - the bane of the reputable RV builders will continue to be with the "parts" they have to build with. 

I apologize for the length and off topic  drivel  - this post droned on and on. Moderator - please remove if I'm to far out there.

RB

• Like 4

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 1/18/2021 at 11:07 AM, NCeagle said:

I have a roughly 6 inch by 2 foot area of Gelcoat under my dinette seat that is dull.  It's not easy to see without the right light angles, but you can make it out in the photo, especially where the reflection of the space heater is interrupted.  According to OTT Service, it was likely an area that was missed or not completed when being built - not a big deal to repair. 

IMG_2758.thumb.jpg.5229805e17a9d11f76ee126fa0c29284.jpg

When it comes to buffing Gelcoat, there are tons of choices and some are better than others on white, so I asked OTT Service what they currently use in-house.  They use a product called Buff Magic (https://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-Yacht-Brite-YBP-0101-Magic/dp/B001HBQDO8).  I'm going to give it a try.  As a bonus it also cleans and shines metals.

Thanks for sharing!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 1/19/2021 at 6:54 AM, John E Davies said:

Following this thread closely. There are a couple of areas beside the floor laminate, and several square feet of gelcoat along the outer wall below the dinette table, where a sloppy tech got floor adhesive and just ..... left it there. The latter is only visible with the table removed or I would have seen it at delivery. Idiot tech, and idiot me for not checking. It will not come off with any solvent or careful scraping, so I guess sandpaper is the only choice?

That and the crookedly mounted rear window (visible on the outside) make my blood boil. But I admit that I am anal. Does this stuff bother other owners?

There is a house nearby with one crooked window out of four in a line, every time I drive by I laugh, it is so obvious to me and such a silly thing for a worker to do, this is why God made bubble levels... 😬  

John Davies

Spokane WA

I can relate to your observations . . . . friends say I'm anal and a bit OCD, but that's ok . . . we are who we are 😄

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

It is always fun to watch the look of stunned disbelief of somebody who really understands metal fabrication when he first squats down and looks at that wonderful frame. His eyes widen, then “Whoa!”

John Davies

Spokane WA

That is exactly the response one of our sons gave (he's skilled at welding/metal fabrication as well as a perfectionist) when he came to look at our new Ollie. 

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

As someone on the forum  has previously commented - were they younger - there is a great opportunity to supply the RV industry with quality and reliable appliances and products. As Thor and Dometic continue to buy up all the independent's  - the bane of the reputable RV builders will continue to be with the "parts" they have to build with. 

RB

Though I am not a proponent of "off-shore" sourcing, there are many better RV components being built in other countries.  Perhaps Dometic, et al needs some competition.

Please excuse me for the multiple replies . . . . I should read all posts and reply in one, but I can't seem to wrap my head around that concept.  😀

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

6 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Though I am not a proponent of "off-shore" sourcing, there are many better RV components being built in other countries.  Perhaps Dometic, et al needs some competition.

Some of those manufacturers really need to reassess their supply models for the USA. I considered retrofitting an Alde heating system in my Ollie, but you cannot buy individual parts, it is for OEM RV builders only. How insanely stupid is that? I guess they are protecting their reputation and warranty. Too bad.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies, and comments. John Davies, just to be a bit contrary, I am buying the Lexus. I view an Oliver as superior to the Mercedes or Lexus equivalent of the trailer industry, which is why I am here. I didn't want a $13,000 trailer, as I was concerned about the quality. I do not need a Rolls Royce, (used to be Cadillac), so I compromised at $60,000 for an Oliver. A 13' trailer. I do not expect any problems or issues caused by production issues. I do not expect any problems or issues due to the choice of installed equipment and appliances. The problems go with the $13,000 trailer (I won't mention brands). I do expect something of the quality of my last trailer, as a minimum, which was a 1985 Coachmen 5th wheel, 24'. I put more than 200,000 miles on it, with no problems or issues attributed to workmanship - ie missed issues, overspray, electrical problems or similar. Oh, I had to replace a couple of water pumps, a manual jack (just one), several sets of tires, the plastic window trim, all of the plastic roof vents, etc. which are expected. 

I am buying what has been described to me as being a premium product. That is what I expect to receive. That is what my research has shown. Thanks John and Anita, you have made me feel a bit more comfortable. JD, I have learned a lot from your posts. Thanks. When I read about glue from flooring making its way to the gel coat and not being able to be removed, or paint overspray on cabinets, or unfinished gel coat, I just shorted out a bit.  When added to problems with the choice and installation of a battery tray that damages the battery, or reading about the installed Zamp issues and problems compared to other brands, I began to question my judgment. That level of workmanship is not acceptable at any price point, or quality level, Yugo or Aston Martin.

I'm looking forward to getting the trailer, but I will be carrying my inspection list. I'll spend an extra night at DCSP before I begin my trip back to Los Angeles.

John

• Like 3

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

NCeagle,

Would you mind sharing the “rather large” checklist you used when you picked up your trailer?  My wife and I are newbies to the RV world and would greatly appreciate any guidance on things to look for when we pick up our Ollie II in late April.  BTW, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts on the forum. The amount of wisdom and everyone’s willingness to share their experiences is amazing!

Hi RussW, sure, it's nothing special really.  I think if you used the owners manual and went through each system / component you would accomplish the same thing.  Some of my notes may be helpful.  My checklist is also specific to some of the options we chose so not all may be appropriate for your Ollie.  I used it both while going through the walkthrough (helped remind me of questions) and at Davey Crockett State Park.  I did test everything on my list and while there were a few minor things I had to take care of (I called Oliver service twice and they helped tremendously), nothing required a trip back to Hohenwald.  I did exactly what JRK is going to do and stayed an extra day to make sure I had time to test everything before driving back home.Ollie Inspection Checklist.xlsx

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, NCeagle said:

Hi RussW, sure, it's nothing special really.  I think if you used the owners manual and went through each system / component you would accomplish the same thing.  Some of my notes may be helpful.  My checklist is also specific to some of the options we chose so not all may be appropriate for your Ollie.  I used it both while going through the walkthrough (helped remind me of questions) and at Davey Crockett State Park.  I did test everything on my list and while there were a few minor things I had to take care of (I called Oliver service twice and they helped tremendously), nothing required a trip back to Hohenwald.  I did exactly what JRK is going to do and stayed an extra day to make sure I had time to test everything before driving back home.Ollie Inspection Checklist.xlsx

Your checklist was really helpful.  Anyone that gets different options can just add a few additional rows to this file.  Thanks a lot for sharing this file and for your reassuring comments on Oliver quality...and your experience with the service department.

• Thanks 1

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

Many thanks for providing this very comprehensive checklist.  It contains several items I would not have thought of that should be checked.  We also plan to stay at least one extra night at David Crockett so we can familiarize ourselves with everything. Getting more excited every day and can't wait to pick up our Ollie!

• Thanks 1

Thanks John and Anita. The checklist will be helpful. After my delivery walkthrough which will include my Q&A, I will review my checklist to make sure I have missed little. Hopefully, the extra day at DCSP will give me time to use everything thing to verify what is not visible or identified during the delivery walkthrough. I expect nothing to be wrong.

Looking forward to March 17.

John

• Thanks 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

On 1/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, John E Davies said:

I would like to add that a lot of folks may expect “Lexus quality” from an Ollie. That will never be the case. A modern car that is in large part fabricated and assembled by robots will inevitably be a much more precise and reliable machine for years to come. An Ollie is assembled over two months by a large number of individuals, who by their very human nature have strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad. They may get distracted, they may make mistakes. A good quality control program should, and usually does catch those, so they can be corrected. There may be a bad batch of sealant, or something similar that is beyond their control.... And most of  the appliances and components like wheel bearings and seals are standard RV stuff, meaning they are cheaply built (“adequate”) and only vaguely efficient or reliable. To get a Lexus RV you have to spend a whole lot more money.

But OTH the general Ollie build quality seems to be greatly improved over four years ago, when they were experiencing their first growth spurt, and having to adapt to a much more intense production schedule. A new owner expecting completely trouble free , low maintenance ownership is probably going to be very disappointed. The stellar follow up service and the feeling of being in a close family is very important.

It’s a VERY nice RV, and I feel you cannot buy a better one for the money, but in the end it is still an RV. If you were buying a $500,000 Earthcruiser, you should expect close to perfection. But an Ollie’s bones, the hull and frame, are stellar. That is the bottom line.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

I thought you had a "NARV (Not An RV) "...

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg