Laundry, on the road

SeaDawg

• Moderators

As we travel, we need to launder clothes, unless we carry immense stocks of fresh clothes.

I do some laundry in the sink, and dry outside, or in the shower. Most of the time, on a long trip, we stop at a laundromat every few weeks.

I've recently seen a number of ads, and youtube reviews, for portable tiny washing machines, with spin cycle .

Have any of you tried anything like this? Somewhere way past handwash, but much smaller machines than a commercial laundromat, obviously. 

I had a really small, 110 wash and dry set in my apartment when I was first out of college, but not quite this small. In a lively avocado green. Haven't tried any truckbed, carry-along travel solutions, though.

Screenshot_20210118-183512_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I have. I think the Wonderwash might be about as effective, but more expensive,  than a bucket and a dedicated  plunger. Both human powered , though  🙂

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

This guy has devised an ingenious method, utilizing two five gallon buckets, one with holes,  and a plunger. Pretty effective. Depending on cost if buckets (most of us have a bunch of them laying around), probably less than $10.  I like the spin method. 🙂

Probably could add a mop bucket wringer. ???

This method could actually work well for us, off grid.

That, plus solar clothes dryer-- a length of clothesline on a sunny day, plus clothes pins.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

This does not come close  to  answering  your question,  but it seems like it may  be relevant to some readers who may not  know this... When on the road in my van in places like southern UT, I've found that in addition  to laundromats (which are few and far between down there!) that many RV campgrounds/parks as well  as places that rent cabins will  let you use their coin-op laundry machines (also handy for a standard size van camper is that they  often  will  also  sell showers, though I have worked out how to do portable dirtbag boondock showers so that's less of a draw  than it was  on my first  UT trip...).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

We can usually plan our trips to include campgrounds/RV parks that have laundry facilities.  In a pinch, however, I have used a dry sack to wash small items such as underwear, socks, and T-shirts.  Albeit, a lot of my camping attire is quick-dry, which helps. 

Also, if you have one of the dehumidifiers mentioned here on the forum, running one of them will help clothing that must be dried inside dry quicker.

There are also hand wringers that clamp onto something to get the laundered items as dry as possible before air drying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPRXUh_mLw 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Since we rarely have power, I'm kind of liking the 2 bucket method. I'd probably add a third, so that I could reuse water from wash cycle, as we did on the farm, when I  was a kid, with the wringer washer in the breezeway.  Two or three loads washed in the same water, from lightest to heaviest soil.

Today's washers are so much more efficient,  so at home, we don't have to be quite so concerned. But, I  can see the difference in my upstairs front load he washer, and my downstairs top load he washer,  in my Phyn app. It's a huge difference in water consumption. Sometimes 10x the water for a load, depending on settings. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

@jim_oker, traveling, I  love the all in one places. 

There's a laundromat in downtown Jasper, AB. Coin clean. Pizza upstairs. (And, it's really good!) Downstairs, laundry, Snowdome coffee bar, and showers. 

It's truly the all in one location. We've been there several times. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Correct autocorrect.
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

That's really interesting,  and I'd never seen the scrubba before. Like a drybag, with scrubby teeth inside.

Not surprising,  it's from down under. 

Collapsible,  space saving. I like it !

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I had the small portable washer machine in our airstream. We got more use out of it moving it in and out of the shower stall than we actually washed cloths. Forget it for boondocking  uses to much water you have to use little or no soap  or it takes to much water for rinsing  it also only spin dries they still come out wet. Hanging wet cloths takes a while to dry.  Don’t get me wrong it works. So does a wash board in a creek.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

9 hours ago, Overland said:

Apparently the Scrubba is still a thing. It seemed like a neat idea when it came out but I wasn’t confident that it would make it. 

Well, I have several dry bags - small - large and XL - Will not take much to try this idea out. Worth a try - although I believe one  of my  numerous 5 gal buckets would work better. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

8 hours ago, Landrover said:

I had the small portable washer machine in our airstream. We got more use out of it moving it in and out of the shower stall than we actually washed cloths. Forget it for boondocking  uses to much water you have to use little or no soap  or it takes to much water for rinsing  it also only spin dries they still come out wet. Hanging wet cloths takes a while to dry.  Don’t get me wrong it works. So does a wash board in a creek.

Another way to wash cloths on the road.  Shower with your cloths on. Soap up rinse off remove cloths ring out, finish taking your normal shower. Put on a set of dry cloths. Lots of ways to wash clothes.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

When traveling I forgo my usual all cotton underwear, sweatshirts and khakis (mostly) and bring full synthetic fast drying travel clothes. They are easy to hand wash individually in the sink as long as there is an endless water supply and sewer dump. Or just the undies if the water is limited. Then this.... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2758-how-to-wire-cable-clothes-line-full-cabin-length/

The towels are all cotton and go there to dry, obviously that takes a while. And none of this is very photogenic, so a pay laundry is in order every ten days or so. I do tend to not shower as often, I can live with a wet wash rag wipe down, and I hope that anybody I meet will be accepting... that is one reason I tend to social distance outside. 🙄

John Davies

Spikane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

To be clear - we are turning our undies inside out before declaring them dirty, no????😲

We have been fortunate to find good Laundromats in our travels.  There Is a really good one in Vernal UT. As mentioned - some RV places have decent facilities - and don't mind non-customers using the wash area. 

If I can find a place to swim - get wet - showers become less needed , have been some really cold baths however!!!  And those inviting hot springs - took me two days to get the Sulphur smell gone.

RB

• Haha 1

• Moderators

You sure that the "sulfur smell" was from the hot springs?😝

Another very nice coin laundry is located in Cody at 1728 Beck Ave.  While you do the wash you can catch up on this Forum and emails with the free WiFi too.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

20 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Another very nice coin laundry is located in Cody at 1728 Beck Ave.  While you do the wash you can catch upon this Forum and emails with the free WiFi too.

I didn’t try that one, but if you are not traveling solo and only one of you likes firearms, the other can wash clothes and surf, while you wander down the street to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West museum. Not to be missed! There are some interesting stores along the main drag, I bought a nice knife in one, but Cody can be extremely busy with visitors going to and from Yellowstone....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Last time we camped close to Cody WY, found a laundromat that washed & folded our clothes by the pound. We went out for lunch wile they took care of our laundry. 👍

Gotta love that concept!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

38 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Last time we camped close to Cody WY, found a laundromat that washed & folded our clothes by the pound. We went out for lunch wile they took care of our laundry. 👍

Fold - fold what?  I thought we were camping? You mean it doesn't just go back into the "clean"  bag or compartment.  I have much to learn - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

Fold - fold what?  I thought we were camping? You mean it doesn't just go back into the "clean"  bag or compartment.  I have much to learn - 

Hey you were the one who brought up all this fancy ‘underwear’ talk. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 7:50 PM, SeaDawg said:

That's really interesting,  and I'd never seen the scrubba before. Like a drybag, with scrubby teeth inside.

Not surprising,  it's from down under. 

Collapsible,  space saving. I like it !

Hmmm . . . . someone stole my dry bag idea? 

Ray and Susan Huff

On 1/19/2021 at 4:59 AM, BackofBeyond said:

Well, I have several dry bags - small - large and XL - Will not take much to try this idea out. Worth a try - although I believe one  of my  numerous 5 gal buckets would work better. 

I've done the dry bag wash.  It works well for just a few items.

Ray and Susan Huff