Streetside shade (instead of awning)

Fritz

Has anyone perhaps used suction cups and tarps (e.g., lightweight nylon) to create occasional streeetside shade in lieu of an awning?  If so, how has it worked?  Similarly, has anyone tried smaller, window-size awnings for shade or as a rain shield?  In advance, thanks for your insights.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

That is an interesting idea, I personally have no love for the awning and rarely deploy it due to wind concerns. I have thought of replacing it with a 270 degree Foxwing canopy, on the right side only, to allow some shade for the back of the trailer. The radius is just over 8 feet. 

E6266588-72D8-418B-9B0A-30573F092E24.jpeg.e6c0cc0b4f3b6aa8039fa87b006d48b3.jpeg

DF436446-D74E-4F7E-8152-3A79F052B68E.thumb.jpeg.16dd9e2f5b817edb257e2a9893f7124e.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

A few owners have installed window awnings from Little House Customs.  Like so...

D2FE6D56-B364-48AD-89EF-7D7897CAE14D.jpeg

We have the full side awning and use it all the time.  For us, it's a regular part of setting up camp to set both awnings like in the photo below (with or without the arms down).  That's far enough to keep an unexpected rain out of any open windows while not being extended so far that the wind can catch them.  And of course it takes just a few seconds to roll them further out to block the sun.  

IMG_1624.thumb.jpeg.8daf8f48d9ed42948e2e779c3d60d57e.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to everyone for referring back to the Airstream again. They have it as an option pkg. you can have a separate awning for each window. They  withstand high winds easy to open just pull down the strap and attach it to the hooked bracket. It  provided much cooling  with all the windows. I preferred these  awnings over the large 16’ awning I never had to worry about these window awnings when I was away from camp,  If Oliver offered individual awnings for the windows  I’d prefer that over the full-size awning.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Sorry to everyone for referring back to the Airstream again. They have it as an option pkg. you can have a separate awning for each window. They  withstand high winds easy to open just pull down the strap and attach it to the hooked bracket. It  provided much cooling  with all the windows. I preferred these  awnings over the large 16’ awning I never had to worry about these window awnings when I was away from camp,  If Oliver offered individual awnings for the windows  I’d prefer that over the full-size awning.

I think that would be a good addition to the Oliver options list, honestly.

We use our manual awning all the time. But window awnings on the street side would be very nice.

Years ago, one owner played with the idea of making streetside awnings from solar panels, kind of dual function. He never did it, but youtube rver Tito did. It attaches with suction cups.

Karen Luekens and her husband added an awning to the dinette window, a modified Carefree awning from Little House. At that time, Little House still did installs. I think they only ship parts to you now, and you install yourself, or hire someone.

Here's a photo of the Luekens' Casita, and their Oliver.

Screenshot_20210119-141438_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Little House ones are nice, does anyone know, can they be deployed part way? Here is a screen cap of that page Overland posted.

A94150FE-E693-4D06-8C6E-A7576C83D913.thumb.jpeg.ae7e5b61fd43db50beedb11b47b5e54d.jpeg

I’m interested in reading the installation instructions. I would be quite concerned about the lack of reinforcing plates under the fiberglass. Link?

EDIT, I emailed Little House asking for the instructions and any comments about installing on an Ollie.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

28 minutes ago, Overland said:

We have the full side awning and use it all the time.  For us, it's a regular part of setting up camp to set both awnings like in the photo below (with or without the arms down).  That's far enough to keep an unexpected rain out of any open windows while not being extended so far that the wind can catch them.  And of course it takes just a few seconds to roll them further out to block the sun.  

Thanks -- your first photo came through, but not the second one...

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

10 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

The Little House ones are nice, does anyone know, can they be deployed part way? Here is a screen cap of that page Overland posted.

I agree - partial deployment, and maybe a solid fabric to help shield rain, would be good.   If they are light, perhaps they could be held on with suction cups (and removed for travel)...

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I would be interested in reading the installation instructions. I would be concerned about the lack of reinforcing plates under the fiberglass. Link?

http://thehandycamper.com/window-awnings-2/

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

18 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Thanks, that was informative. I personally do NOT believe  that blind pop rivets going into only fiberglass is a good design, in any way! With aluminum plates behind, they are fine. I would replace the rivets with self tapping screws and a full layer of 3M VHB tape. Even then I would worry about somebody walking into the deployed arm and ripping it off the hull. Crunch! “Oh, sorry!”

8C101B38-9488-4166-B225-CEC6C5307A77.jpeg.d78e019c10e8b268b37b52777fb54069.jpeg

But I guess I should ask, is there a backing plate for each of the Oliver factory installed awning lower support brackets?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Thanks, that was informative. I personally do NOT believe  that blind pop rivets going into only fiberglass is a good design,

I agree. Zipdee, who (I think) makes the airstream window awnings, uses a similar method. Rivets. 

I'm thinking there might be access in the cupboards over the windows for proper backing and fasteners, in the Oliver.

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/instructional-videos.html

As far as partial deployment, I  didn't find anything in the Carefree owners manual. You could pm KarenLuekens. They'd certainly know.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, mtkadan said:

shade cloth interested me....a 12x20 piece is 100bucks...would cover the whole side of the trailer and me light.

see link:Shade Cloth, 70% Black (greenhousemegastore.com)

only need 3 hard points on top and poles/anchors at the bottom...????

That looks nice. The thing that bothers me about the shade cloth, or a tarp, are all those grommets , and the possibility of them scratching the hull in the wind.

You could cut and hem that end, and insert heavy webbing loops, instead of the brass grommets. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Fritz said:

I agree - partial deployment, and maybe a solid fabric to help shield rain, would be good.   If they are light, perhaps they could be held on with suction cups (and removed for travel)...

I looked up the weights on the carefree website. A 3.5 to 4 ft awning is quoted at 32 to 50 lbs. Probably too heavy for suction cups.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks for the confirmation,  Landrover, on the vendor. I wasn't sure if correct..

I  posted zipdee's installation and setup videos a few posts up.

I'll look up a link to dealer sales.

https://inlandrv.com/product/zip-dee-rear-window-awning/

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/rv-awning-products.html

Probably six of one, half dozen of the other, but I  honestly prefer the look of the Carefree. Probably a personal choice .

Edited by SeaDawg
Add links
  • Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Bruce & Cheryl (Forum name Cheryl) -  long time Oliver Elite II owners designed and made window shades for their Ollie some time ago.  Perhaps one of them will chime in and/or a PM to them might get info on how they did theirs.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I agree. Zipdee, who (I think) makes the airstream window awnings, uses a similar method. Rivets. 

I'm thinking there might be access in the cupboards over the windows for proper backing and fasteners, in the Oliver.

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/instructional-videos.html

As far as partial deployment, I  didn't find anything in the Carefree owners manual. You could pm KarenLuekens. They'd certainly know.

10 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Thanks for the confirmation,  Landrover, on the vendor. I wasn't sure if correct..

I  posted zipdee's installation and setup videos a few posts up.

I'll look up a link to dealer sales.

https://inlandrv.com/product/zip-dee-rear-window-awning/

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/rv-awning-products.html

Probably six of one, half dozen of the other, but I  honestly prefer the look of the Carefree. Probably a personal choice .

The  large awning i did not like  they worked great but had a cheep feel to them. The window awnings less bulky strong feel worked great.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Thanks for that comment. I know Zipdee offers a lot more fabrics than the typical airstream choices. I "think" I prefer the white arms of the Carefree window awnings, though they're a little  chunky looking. 

There are other window awning manufacturers,  as well. They're not the only two around.

The zipdee, and the little house carefree version, are manufactured (or modified) for our more rounded profiles, I think.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

...I'm thinking there might be access in the cupboards over the windows for proper backing and fasteners, in the Oliver...

On all the units manufactured post 2009, there are inner liners on all the cabinets (except the bathroom and center rear). This will prevent you from (easily) being able to access the inside of the outer hull to mount any kind of backing plate.

This curved piece is the inside liner for the cabinets. It is made of fiberglass.

This photo is of Hull # 050 taken in 2013 during construction.

DSC_1198.thumb.JPG.5c330ba03600d39fca0c1c3235aeeef3.JPG

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I forgot about your nice cabinet liners in the newer models. Good thought, Steve. 

So, the "liner" is actually molded fiberglass? 

I need to take a look at the cabinet construction next time I'm in Hohenwald.  Thanks, Steve. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
14 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bruce & Cheryl (Forum name Cheryl) -  long time Oliver Elite II owners designed and made window shades for their Ollie some time ago.  Perhaps one of them will chime in and/or a PM to them might get info on how they did theirs.

Bill

This picture shows one of the awnings that Bruce and Cheryl made for LE2 136 that Bill is referring to.  As you may be able to see, the were made from PVC pipe and fittings.  The head rail and feet, picture below, are marine products.  Cheryl traveled with a sewing machine, so of course she made the shades.  As I remember, they removed everything except the head rail and feet for travel.  They were/are full timers from North Carolina and wintered in Florida.  The last time I saw them was at the 2018 Rally where Bruce received an award from Oliver for his contributions to helping solve the fresh water tank capacity issues.

Mossey

9FD1ED72-1DF0-4A9C-91FE-999302018165.jpeg.6aab5d0e32d98bef91ac95a76f2ddcab.jpegEE191E4A-BAF0-4267-B47F-C4AD89F83D65.jpeg.5e7fba0919881e5ab8c9db56eeb8952a.jpeg

Edited by mossemi
Add link
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is an interesting idea, I personally have no love for the awning and rarely deploy it due to wind concerns. I have thought of replacing it with a 270 degree Foxwing canopy, on the right side only, to allow some shade for the back of the trailer. The radius is just over 8 feet. 

E6266588-72D8-418B-9B0A-30573F092E24.jpeg.e6c0cc0b4f3b6aa8039fa87b006d48b3.jpeg

DF436446-D74E-4F7E-8152-3A79F052B68E.thumb.jpeg.16dd9e2f5b817edb257e2a9893f7124e.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

I've seen this type of awning used on pickup campers.  One (don't recall the make) was even powered - or at least mechanical.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

There are a lot of interesting options posted here, but for yet to be ordered Olivers I think it would be easier to simply order the street side awning.  But that's just my opinion.

We have yet to experience camping in our Oliver during weather warm enough to worry about shade.  My expectation is that the Oliver will be much cooler inside than our Leisure Travel Van which was not insulated and did not have double pane windows (though they were tinted).   The challenge with summertime heat and camping with solar panels is finding the sweet spot between optimum solar charging and keeping the interior cool.  

We camp probably 85% of the time with some available shade.  Finding the site with the best orientation is part of the fun of camping.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

This picture shows one of the awnings that Bruce and Cheryl made for LE2 136

Thank you for finding and posting this. Do you know the purpose of the small rail above the exterior light?  Perhaps shield the window from some of the rainwater coming off of the roof?

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel