Streetside shade (instead of awning)

Fritz

• Moderators

Fritz - 

Yes - that "gutter" has the main purpose of directing water away from the windows.  THIS is the product. There are a number of threads about it and the installation of it on the Forum.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Fritz said:

Thank you for finding and posting this. Do you know the purpose of the small rail above the exterior light?  Perhaps shield the window from some of the rainwater coming off of the roof?

That’s an EZE Gutter that a lot of OTTO's have installed closer to the windows.  The gutters needed to be installed higher with the window shades.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, mossemi said:

The gutters needed to be installed higher with the window shades.

Most owners install these gutters a bit closer to the windows in a fashion similar to the picture below.  Anyone that is interested in this mod should read and re-read the installation instructions and various owner's tips here on the Forum.

Bill

P1000890.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hi, Fritz. I came across this blog post on diy window awnings using pvc pipe and big command hooks.

https://wackypup.blogspot.com/2017/06/easy-pvc-awnings-for-your-camper-fully.html?m=1

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, SeaDawg said:

Hi, Fritz. I came across this blog post on diy window awnings using pvc pipe and big command hooks.

https://wackypup.blogspot.com/2017/06/easy-pvc-awnings-for-your-camper-fully.html?m=1

That is a cool article, but don’t fall for the trap of using WHITE PVC pipe for the frame. Lots of RVers choose that because of its low cost, but it does not withstand UV exposure, so prolongued sunlight makes it very brittle. Instead use grey plastic electrical conduit, it is fine for prolongued UV exposure and it has about the same strength, I prefer the Schedule 80 over the thinner Sch 40. It is tougher and much more rigid for use where you want it to support a load, for which it was never intended....!

9A165746-43EB-46E8-A02D-AC1375D3F19F.thumb.jpeg.ed6df0e9a44d39e4db9e59454c7a9641.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

SeaDog — this is a very clever solution; thank you for posting it.  And thank you, John, for the tip about electrical conduit instead of PVC. 

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

There are many manufactured varieties of window awnings that can be added. 

I'd probably try a "homemade" version first, and see if it worked for me. If it's a "try it and see "venture, white pvc, schedule 40,  already in the garage, would be fine for me. If you're worried about uv resistance,  which I'm not, I'd hang it from a branch, and hit it with a coat of  Krylon paint. 

Those frames are simple to make, and replace. If you wanted super  easy to break down, and set up, I'd probably thread shock cord through, like tent poles. Or just carry the lightweight things flat, in the truckbed, and never disassemble.

Btw, toto fabrics often has Sunbrella awning fabric for under $12 a 60" yard. One of my faves for outdoor fabric. 

If you are talking about the EZE RV gutter,  I think it's a no brainer. It's easy to install, diverts water from the weepholes, etc., and we really love them. As do others.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.