2,000 watt inverter vs 3,000 watt inverter

Fritz

The one really main feature is you can use up your battery reserves 50% faster, which is a huge issue if you do not have access to shore power or a sizable generator to recharge. I am a fan of “less is better” when it comes to power hungry accessories..... I would toss our microwave but my spouse forbids it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

And, run down your batteries more quickly...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Fritz, there isn't much of a difference between the XC 2000 Pro and the XC 3000 Pro. Even the retail price difference between the two is small - something around $200 if I remember correctly.

I do know that the 2021 uses a different power distribution panel if you get the Pro package (including the XC 3000). Obviously the wiring will differ as well since it can't handle the AC. It is possible the 2022 models have a more unified panel but the details haven't been made public that I'm aware of. Upgrading to the XC 3000 without lithium was not an option when I asked. I suspect this is more about decreasing factory assembly line complexity than anything else.

Edited by Jairon
  • Thanks 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

The one really main feature is you can use up your battery reserves 50% faster, which is a huge issue if you do not have access to shore power or a sizable generator to recharge. I am a fan of “less is better” when it comes to power hungry accessories..... I would toss our microwave but my spouse forbids it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We ditched our microwave,  as I  live easily without it 

But, now that you are upgrading to lithium, you may actually enjoy the convenience of the microwave,  in short bursts.

Nice to reheat soups or stews, without dirtying a pan you later have to wash, and then use water 💧.

It's all a dance --boondocking. Water/power/solar, etc.

I know I spend a lot more time and thought on power management,  water management,  chasing the sun with our portable panel, etc. and even simple tasks like cooking and cleaning, when camping.

But, I actually enjoy that. Not everyone does. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

We ditched our microwave,  as I  live easily without it 

But, now that you are upgrading to lithium, you may actually enjoy the convenience of the microwave,  in short bursts.

The 2022 models no longer have a storage box option so the decision to get a microwave is easy 😁

Edited by Jairon
  • Haha 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

To answer the original question, I think we’ve actually gotten an overload alarm once even with a 3000 watt inverter - maybe coffeemaker plus hairdryer or something like that. Point being that you adjust your camping lifestyle to what you’ve got. 3000 watts isn’t at all necessary, but if you’ve got it you’ll probably get used to using it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Overland said:

Is the only option now the number of axles?

Hah! I was surprised to see it removed from the build sheet but I'm guessing it was removed due to lack of customer demand.

I'm happy to have picked one up with the box option though...

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I am a fan of “less is better” when it comes to power hungry accessories..

Thank you for all of your comments.  I agree that "less might be better" -- we have not yet decided on the microwave (that cabinet could be a good spot for storing the instant pot instead).  But how many of you have (or perhaps would have if you had the larger inverter and sufficient battery power) run the A/C for short periods of time, taking a short respite from the heat on a hot summer day? 

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm a fan of less is better accessories, too.  It's just that having all that power gives me the good feeling of knowing I can use it if need be.  I suppose that's an expensive good feeling . . . . . I mostly like the elimination of some of the battery SOC worries. 

Reminds me of the Eagles song . . . . . you all know what I mean.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Jairon said:

The 2022 models no longer have a storage box option so the decision to get a microwave is easy 😁

I'm glad we were able to opt for the extra storage.  For us, it is much more useful than the microwave we mostly used to heat coffee and defrost meat!  I love my storage cabinet 😍

• Like 3

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Just remember - it is rather difficult to quickly get that bag of fresh popcorn by just leaving it sit inside that "storage box".☺️

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

20 hours ago, Fritz said:

Is there any advantage to a 3,000 Xantrex watt inverter over the 2,000 watt model other than perhaps occasional, short-duration use of the A/C using lithium battery power?

Back to the original posted question.  The Oliver website shows that the 2000 watt inverter is the "2000 Watt Xantrex Freedom XC Inverter" but only mentions the 3000 watt option as "3000 Watt Inverter". Are both options using the Freedom XC Pro or is the 2000 watt the non Pro model?  Xantrex's website shows that there are are both XC Pro 2000 and 3000 watt rated inverters, however, there is also a Freedom XC (non-Pro) rated at 2000 watts which indicates there may be other differences beside the rated capacities.

Mike

Edited by mjrendon
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mjrendon said:

Are both options using the Freedom XC Pro or is the 2000 watt the non Pro model?

You should obviously check with your sales rep but I believe Oliver has completely switched over to the XC Pro models; 2000 or 3000 depending on which package you buy. The Freedom XC was used in years past.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

From looking at the Oliver University manuals I see these inverters mentioned. The 2021 updates have not been posted yet.

• Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000
    • Xantrex Freedom XC 2000
  • 2019 - 2015
    • Xantrex PROwatt 2000 Inverter
    • not mentioned
Edited by mjrendon
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Just remember - it is rather difficult to quickly get that bag of fresh popcorn by just leaving it sit inside that "storage box".☺️

Bill

Who remembers Jiffy Pop?  Do they still make it?

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Yes - they still do make Jiffy Pop and it is as good as it ever was ☹️.

Bill

Do you mean that it still burns and produces soggy popcorn?  That's what I recall.  You just can't beat stove top popcorn made in a cast iron Dutch oven, with coconut oil and fresh popcorn, of course!

Ray and Susan Huff

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 10:36 AM, Fritz said:

Thank you — I’ll check with Oliver. 

Hi Fritz - were you able to find out if the 2000 is the XC Pro or just the XC?   I'm still debating my power options (lithium vs AGM's) and learning more about the actual components that are used is homework I'm doing now.  I can obviously check with my rep too but others may also benefit from knowing.  Thanks...

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

15 hours ago, connor77 said:

Hi Fritz - were you able to find out if the 2000 is the XC Pro or just the XC? 

The short answer is that I did not find out earlier.  The longer answer is that the 2021 "Optional Feature Manuals" in the Oliver University files include manuals for both Freedom XC (which covers 1000W and 2000W inverters) and a Freedom XC Pro (which covers a 2000W and a 3000W model).   From this I'd infer (although perhaps incorrectly) that Oliver offers the 2000W Freedom XC (for AGMs) or the 3000 XC Pro (for lithiums) -- and that is why they include both the XC and XC Pro manuals.  FWIW, I ordered the lithium package (and therefore the 3000 XC Pro), and am hoping that they get the error code issue resolved before I pick up the trailer in late April.

Hope this helps...  

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

5 hours ago, Fritz said:

hoping that they get the error code issue resolved before I pick up the trailer in late April

I have had the new firmware on my 3000W XC Pro for a little over 3 weeks now and I started using the software cutoff I discovered rather than the physical cutoff relay to disconnect the battery from the inverter (to stop charging).  Haven't seen the [20] error code since.  Maybe it's fixed.  I haven't heard back from OTT on their test results with the firmware though and they haven't closed my ticket yet so maybe they know something I don't.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

We do fine on the 2000 watt - really don't use it much - but it comes in handy.  I have had several - very good units. Put them in my van builds. 

Microwave - I could do with out. My wife says otherwise. If we have used it 10 times in 2 years I would be surprised.

Oliver has completely redesigned the systems since our 2018.  The Xantrex does double duty today verses ours. It is a cleaner setup, but I prefer the setup of our Ollie.

Popcorn - well very rarely. 

I would rather have the cubby hole.

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201