2,000 watt inverter vs 3,000 watt inverter

Fritz

I thought one difference is how the Batteries get charged and what "unit" in the Oliver is doing the charging:

In our case: 2019 EII Hull 505

2019 EII has a 2000 W inverter....but that inverter doesn't have a DC charging output.  
DC Battery charging is taken care of by the Progressive Dynamics, PD4000 Energy Center embedded DC Charger.  
(It's a 45Amp DC charger for both AGM or Lithium, with a jumper to set it to either "Lead Acid" or "Lithium" chemistries which will be good when I upgrade from AGM to Li. When in the LI setting, the DC charger outputs 14.6V for Lithium.)

Newer Olivers with factory installed Lithium Packages are using the XC Pro 3000 inverter which ALSO has a much heftier "DC Charging Unit inside".
(In other words, they aren't using the DC charger within the PD energy center, instead they use the DC Charger within the XC Pro 3000.)

See the table below excerpted from the XC Pro Spec Sheets - 150 Amps will help charge a Lithium Battery much faster.  Also the programmable voltage level will help users set it specific to the Li battery installed.

ELECTRICAL SPECS - BATTERY CHARGER

FREEDOM XC PRO 2000

FREEDOM XC PRO 3000

Min Battery Voltage for Charging

0.0 Vdc

0.0 Vdc

Max DC Output Voltage

18.0 Vdc (custom battery type)

Selectable DC Output Current

User Selectable: 5 - 100 A

User Selectable: 5 - 150 A

Full Load Max AC Input Current

24 Arms

25 Arms

Max DC Charge Current

100A

150A

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

5 hours ago, NCeagle said:

I have had the new firmware on my 3000W XC Pro for a little over 3 weeks now and I started using the software cutoff I discovered rather than the physical cutoff relay to disconnect the battery from the inverter (to stop charging).  Haven't seen the [20] error code since.  Maybe it's fixed.  I haven't heard back from OTT on their test results with the firmware though and they haven't closed my ticket yet so maybe they know something I don't.

I have not heard from Oliver regarding our open ticket on the "20 code".  I need to ask Jason how the update is going.  We don't use the inverter often, but I do like the convenience of the remote display for knowing what's going on in the charging system, although the hieroglyphic language it speaks is sometimes confusing  😁

Is the software cutoff you mention talked about in the existing manual?  In what situation do you use that feature?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Galway Girl said:

I thought one difference is how the Batteries get charged and what "unit" in the Oliver is doing the charging:

In our case: 2019 EII Hull 505

2019 EII has a 2000 W inverter....but that inverter doesn't have a DC charging output.  
DC Battery charging is taken care of by the Progressive Dynamics, PD4000 Energy Center embedded DC Charger.  
(It's a 45Amp DC charger for both AGM or Lithium, with a jumper to set it to either "Lead Acid" or "Lithium" chemistries which will be good when I upgrade from AGM to Li. When in the LI setting, the DC charger outputs 14.6V for Lithium.)

Newer Olivers with factory installed Lithium Packages are using the XC Pro 3000 inverter which ALSO has a much heftier "DC Charging Unit inside".
(In other words, they aren't using the DC charger within the PD energy center, instead they use the DC Charger within the XC Pro 3000.)

See the table below excerpted from the XC Pro Spec Sheets - 150 Amps will help charge a Lithium Battery much faster.  Also the programmable voltage level will help users set it specific to the Li battery installed.

ELECTRICAL SPECS - BATTERY CHARGER

FREEDOM XC PRO 2000

FREEDOM XC PRO 3000

Min Battery Voltage for Charging

0.0 Vdc

0.0 Vdc

Max DC Output Voltage

Selectable DC Output Current

User Selectable: 5 - 100 A

User Selectable: 5 - 150 A

Full Load Max AC Input Current

24 Arms

25 Arms

Max DC Charge Current

100A

150A

Us Oliver owners with the Lithium Pro Pkg who are less informed about power management (like us!) would benefit from instruction, be it from Oliver or Xantrex.  Has anyone found a good source for such?

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I have not heard from Oliver regarding our open ticket on the "20 code".  I need to ask Jason how the update is going.  We don't use the inverter often, but I do like the convenience of the remote display for knowing what's going on in the charging system, although the hieroglyphic language it speaks is sometimes confusing  😁

Is the software cutoff you mention talked about in the existing manual?  In what situation do you use that feature?

I hadn't heard from Oliver about the 20 error code so I sent Jason a message through the service ticket portal.  Our ticket has been classed as "on hold".  I now see it is labeled as "open".  

Jason's response:

Hey Susan,

I just received some new information from Xantrex on how to perform a reset and check the software.
  1. Remove AC & DC Power - Disconnect shore power and trip the 200a Inverter breaker located under the street side bed area. 
  2. Wait about 2 minutes 
  3. Reset the 200A Breaker to allow DC power back to the inverter
  4. Turn the Inverter on at the remote display
  5. Scroll thru the settings to verify software U3 01 06 at the main display located under the streetside bed
  6. Double check the remote display to ensure it also shows the U3 01 06 software
At this time I don't have a failed remote to test this on so I am depending on Xantrex. I do have a customer who has already performed this and it has resolved the issue so far.

I'm preparing to do the reset but want to confirm that I have the correct breaker (located under the street side bed on the wall of the battery compartment)

Jason said "200A" but this is 300A.

Is this correct: Push the red button to disconnect; the red lever on the bottom to the left of the button will pop out; push the lever back in to reset?

I hope this resolves the problem with the remote panel not functioning.

Also: there is another similar breaker switch (60A) attached to the top of the wheel well.  Can someone tell me what this is for?

P1000471.JPG

P1000467.JPG

Ray and Susan Huff

XANTREX ::  There is a very helpful app that talks to the Bluetooth control panel and is avail for IOS and Android. ( We are IOS)

The app allows easy monitor and control AND CHECKING FIRMWARE REVISION # !!!! 

I used the app to check Firmware versions and to set the max charging current.

We are living at the end of long extension cord and by dialing down the MAX CHARGE CURRENT using the APP , we easily live without big voltage drops. Voltage as seen by the Progressive Elec Monitor panel the shines ever so BRIGHT RED thru the attic window every night so that when we go to sleep we must stuff a pillow case over it so we can sleep in the then almost dark considering the many little LED panel lights the Oliver is blessed with. but we love it !

XANTREX FIRMWARE :: I had no luck finding the Website firmware page/files/history/latest-ver etc in spite of the fact that the documentation indicates you just go to the web site and VOILA >> FIRMWARE . . . .   I sent a message using XANTREX contact form and got a somewhat confusing  and trying to be helpful but didn't help kind of reply and have not revisited that project yet.  Judging by the state of the XANTREX website, the confused SUPPORT page response and many out of date documents on the website . . .  the company is trying to save money on their Information Technology Budget.  I think the XANTREX is good enough but my impression is that if someone were in a position to choose vendors that VICTRON is a better choice. ( i.e. Victron Energy MultiPlus 3000 with AWESOME !!! power assist !!!! )

Lots to sort thru . . . perhaps we can ALL at some point virtually sit down together and crowd source a QuickStart guide to the many and complicatedly delightful wonders of our modern Olivers !

• Thanks 2

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

On 1/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, Jairon said:

The 2022 models no longer have a storage box option so the decision to get a microwave is easy 😁

No more storage box?  We were hoping to use a breville toaster oven instead of the microwave in our '22.  😞

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, VBistro said:

No more storage box?  We were hoping to use a breville toaster oven instead of the microwave in our '22.  😞

Ask your rep. And let us know what she or he says, please.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I hadn't heard from Oliver about the 20 error code so I sent Jason a message through the service ticket portal.  Our ticket has been classed as "on hold".  I now see it is labeled as "open".  

Jason's response:

Hey Susan,

I just received some new information from Xantrex on how to perform a reset and check the software.
  1. Remove AC & DC Power - Disconnect shore power and trip the 200a Inverter breaker located under the street side bed area. 
  2. Wait about 2 minutes 
  3. Reset the 200A Breaker to allow DC power back to the inverter
  4. Turn the Inverter on at the remote display
  5. Scroll thru the settings to verify software U3 01 06 at the main display located under the streetside bed
  6. Double check the remote display to ensure it also shows the U3 01 06 software
At this time I don't have a failed remote to test this on so I am depending on Xantrex. I do have a customer who has already performed this and it has resolved the issue so far.

I'm preparing to do the reset but want to confirm that I have the correct breaker (located under the street side bed on the wall of the battery compartment)

Jason said "200A" but this is 300A.

Is this correct: Push the red button to disconnect; the red lever on the bottom to the left of the button will pop out; push the lever back in to reset?

I hope this resolves the problem with the remote panel not functioning.

Also: there is another similar breaker switch (60A) attached to the top of the wheel well.  Can someone tell me what this is for?

P1000471.JPG

P1000467.JPG

That second breaker (bottom pix) is the main 60A Breaker for all the 12v loads for the trailer. 
Some leads run over to the DC power panel with 12V fuses for various circuits like Lights, Fans etc.
There are a few of the lines to the right side of the 60A breaker are for things like the Propane Detector.

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

On 4/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, georgelewisray said:

XANTREX ::  There is a very helpful app that talks to the Bluetooth control panel and is avail for IOS and Android. ( We are IOS)

The app allows easy monitor and control AND CHECKING FIRMWARE REVISION # !!!! 

I used the app to check Firmware versions and to set the max charging current.

We are living at the end of long extension cord and by dialing down the MAX CHARGE CURRENT using the APP , we easily live without big voltage drops. Voltage as seen by the Progressive Elec Monitor panel the shines ever so BRIGHT RED thru the attic window every night so that when we go to sleep we must stuff a pillow case over it so we can sleep in the then almost dark considering the many little LED panel lights the Oliver is blessed with. but we love it !

XANTREX FIRMWARE :: I had no luck finding the Website firmware page/files/history/latest-ver etc in spite of the fact that the documentation indicates you just go to the web site and VOILA >> FIRMWARE . . . .   I sent a message using XANTREX contact form and got a somewhat confusing  and trying to be helpful but didn't help kind of reply and have not revisited that project yet.  Judging by the state of the XANTREX website, the confused SUPPORT page response and many out of date documents on the website . . .  the company is trying to save money on their Information Technology Budget.  I think the XANTREX is good enough but my impression is that if someone were in a position to choose vendors that VICTRON is a better choice. ( i.e. Victron Energy MultiPlus 3000 with AWESOME !!! power assist !!!! )

Lots to sort thru . . . perhaps we can ALL at some point virtually sit down together and crowd source a QuickStart guide to the many and complicatedly delightful wonders of our modern Olivers !

Here is a link to the Xantrex site with links to firmware updates.  

https://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-xcpro.aspx

Ray and Susan Huff

5 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Here is a link to the Xantrex site with links to firmware updates.  

https://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-xcpro.aspx

What am I missing ???

There is: (a)  an Active Link to the document that describes the Firmware Update Process. (b) A Dead Link supposedly to the firmware but the link text just reads 'www.xantrex.com'. . . . That was where I was when I sent a query to Xantrex Support and got a slightly-helpful response. I was expecting a link to a page that would show me Firmware revision history and download links to the latest firmware versions.

What I got:

Hello George, 
They are there but I do find that it is taking longer to load than I would normally expect. I'm copying the files into this email. 
Please read the instructions file before proceeding
Shaun, Xantrex Technical Support
1(800)670-0707

and a zip file  containing 'perhaps' the latest firmware for ????

So from what am I missing ?

In 2008 Xantrex was bought by Schneider Electric, based in Rueil-Malmaison, France.

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

On 4/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, georgelewisray said:

What am I missing ???

There is: (a)  an Active Link to the document that describes the Firmware Update Process. (b) A Dead Link supposedly to the firmware but the link text just reads 'www.xantrex.com'. . . . That was where I was when I sent a query to Xantrex Support and got a slightly-helpful response. I was expecting a link to a page that would show me Firmware revision history and download links to the latest firmware versions.

What I got:

Hello George, 
They are there but I do find that it is taking longer to load than I would normally expect. I'm copying the files into this email. 
1(800)670-0707

In 2008 Xantrex was bought by Schneider Electric, based in Rueil-Malmaison, France.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, georgelewisray said:

What am I missing ???

What I got:

Hello George, 
1(800)670-0707

There is a link in the right hand sidebar to a memo regarding the remote panel issue (I have attached the PDF file).  It says:

Subject: Compatibility limitations between the FXC remote panel 808-0817-01 and Freedom XC PRO 2000W and Freedom XC PRO 3000W models Description: FXC remote panels (part number: 808-0817-01) with older Firmware versions, when connected to Freedom XC PRO 2000W or Freedom XC PRO 3000W models, may present issues such as unavailability of configuration options, displaying incorrect error codes.

FXC remote panels (part number: 808-0817-01) with Serial Number 98001812100281 or greater are fully compatible with Freedom XC PRO 2000W (part number 818-2010) model. FXC remote panels (part number: 808-0817-01) with Serial Number 98002004101190 or greater are fully compatible with Freedom XC PRO 3000W (part number 818-3010) model. FXC remote panels with Serial Numbers older than the ones listed above may present compatibility issues.

All FXC Bluetooth remote panels (part number: 808-0817-02) are fully compatible with Freedom XC PRO 2000W and Freedom XC PRO 3000W models.

How can I resolve the problem? Customers can call Xantrex Technical Support and request RMA (Return Material Authorization) to exchange their older remotes with newer version. Customers can also choose to exchange the older remotes with the Bluetooth enabled remotes (part number: 808-0817-02) for an additional price.

What I read is that some older remote panels are not compatible with XC Pro 2000W and 3000W inverters.  They give the serial number reference to tell if yours is compatible or not.  I'm not sure where you find the serial numbers; perhaps Oliver can supply these?

This may not be the same issue we are having since our remote panel is giving us the "20" error warning, which means the remote panel is not communicating with the inverter.  Thus it is totally inoperable.   According to the Xantrex memo, our remote panel should be compatible as it is a bluetooth enabled version.  

Oliver has instructed me to reset the inverter and see what firmware version displays on the remote panel.  I will do this tomorrow, early PDT so Jason will be available to assist.  I don't know if the problem is programing, configuration or hardware; Olive and Xantrex both think it is a programing issue.  

I just want the remote display to work so we don't have to dig under the bed to access the inverters display and on/off switch.  It is too much of a hassle remaking the bed each time this is necessary.  I will report the outcome of tomorrow's reset procedure.  

FXC PRO Remote compatibility Memo.pdf

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

FWIW, it has now been 7+ weeks I've been running the new firmware on our 3000 XC Pro and haven't had any problems since the upgrade.  My Oliver ticket related to the [20] error code has been closed for several weeks now.  What may be confusing some folks is that there are 3 sets of firmware on the inverter...  U1, U2, and U3.  You have to keep scrolling until you see the U3 version - that's the one that is being upgraded.  U1 and U2 remain unchanged during this upgrade.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

For those with the XC 2000, like me, I confirmed that they come with the standard remote, not the Bluetooth remote. So, for those who have the remote, is it worth the few hundred dollars to buy a Bluetooth remote? There is nothing wrong with the standard remote, so it is not eligible for an exchange. 

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

3 hours ago, JRK said:

For those with the XC 2000, like me, I confirmed that they come with the standard remote, not the Bluetooth remote. So, for those who have the remote, is it worth the few hundred dollars to buy a Bluetooth remote? There is nothing wrong with the standard remote, so it is not eligible for an exchange. 

John

Hi John, the Bluetooth app doesn't offer anything special over the remote itself except that it's less button pushing and scrolling to use the Bluetooth app for configuring the Xantrex - so it's more of a convenience in my mind.  In fact, you have to be right next to the remote and push a button for a few seconds to connect the Bluetooth every time anyhow - no automatic reconnecting, no remote monitoring/notification capabilities, etc.  A working remote on the other hand is important because it reduces the amount of times you have to dig under the bed, etc. to get physical access to the inverter.  This is especially true with Lithium batteries because it is nice to be able to turn off the charger part of the inverter without digging under the bed.  So, my thoughts on the Bluetooth value... I doubt it's worth a couple hundred dollars for convenience.  If it improves and offers remote monitoring, notification, programmability....  then I'd think the value would be there.

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel