Refinishing Foy Sperring Bath Mat

jordanv

Just purchased a used Foy Sperring bath mat, it's super nice and looks a lot bigger in person than I imagined.

I would like to sand it, and re-finish it. Any recommendations here? We plan on keeping it in the shower during shower use as well, so something that could withstand showers, similar to teak shower boards in saunas/spas/steamrooms.

I'd asl Foy, but since Im still fairly new here, I couldn't figure out how to contact him directly.

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators

I suspect that Foy has already used a finish suitable for a shower mat, like teak oil. That's what I  use on our ipe mat, at home. Any additional finish you use should depend on what he used.

You really should ask Foy.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Btw, did you get an answer?

For my outdoor teak and eucalyptus furniture,  we scuff up and recoat once a year.

The ipe shower mats haven't needed anything,  in almost 6 years.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Mainiac, I  agree. 

I also think, with the many nooks and crannies on the shower mat, timely recoating with the original product (outdoors) would be my choice. 

We use aqua teak on our indoor shower, and the boat teak mats. Doesn't need refreshing,  often.  As in, I can't remember the last time we did the boat (teak) mats. In the house (ipe) is almost six years.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I refinished the stock of a rifle with teak oil, probably 40 years or so ago. Maybe 15 coats with rub of fine steel wool between coats. That piece still looks brand new today, and it gets used fairly often. A little effort up front will pay some long term dividends....

• Like 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

A little effort up front will pay some long term dividends....

I totally agree 

Most good outcomes depend on prep, and process. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We have one of the original Teakworks mats. Originally I oiled it, but keeping it clean of soap scum was a pain so I coated it with satin polyurethane. I though I’d have to add some anti slip strips but it’s actually quite grippy on its own. The finish started to wear thin in a few spots after three years but I just gave it a quick sanding and two more coats and it’s like new. 

• Thanks 1

Might I suggest that after fine sanding and prior to oiling, blast it with compressed air to get all the sawdust out of the pores. I prefer tung oil personally, it is pretty versatile and super easy to use. However, for my cutting board I just use the recommended (very oily) mineral oil, and I pour a little down each sink too, to lube the dump valve seals. Buy a big container, don’t get a small expen$ive bottle....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNI1JI0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

blast it with compressed air to get all the sawdust out of the pores.

I've always vacuumed (with soft brush) and then used a tack cloth. This is how I learned to prep when working for a few years in a commercial wood shop and it's been the consistent advice I've read for various products from spar varnish to epoxy to various oils etc.  Just fwiw...

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709